The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Sven Baertschi to Canucks

Tanev is our only real young/fast defensively responsible Dman. He can be trusted in almost every situation especially penalty kills. Tanev may be slowing down edler offensively but Edler sure as hell needs Tanev to play well defensively, otherwise he looks out of place most of the time. Tanev is a keeper.

How about get rid of both Edler and Tanev of Tanev is asking for too much.

And get a legitimate, young 1D in here.

How about get rid of both Edler and Tanev of Tanev is asking for too much.

And get a legitimate, young 1D in here.

Because that 1D still needs a partner AKA -Edler.

Frankly I'd rather have two, #2 guys than a #1 guy playing with a #4 guy. YMMV.

Because that 1D still needs a partner AKA -Edler.

Frankly I'd rather have two, #2 guys than a #1 guy playing with a #4 guy. YMMV.

That's exactly what you have in Edler and Tanev. No GM in the league would consider Tanev a #4 (unless he played on a stacked D-corps like the Rags, with Yandle, McDonagh, and Staal. A huge part of Edler's resurgence is a result of Tanev's calm, cool defensive play. Edler needs a steady presence, to allow him to play up to his potential.

Trading Tanev is step backward, unless you can get a #1 D-man in return. But good luck with that. Do you think contenders are lining up to trade away the Webers, Subbans, Doughtys, and Keiths of the world? You need to draft #1 defensemen, in today's NHL, unless you manage to snag the odd one through FA (again, good luck with that). If you were to look at a list of the top 15 bonafide #1 D-men, you'll notice that only one of them has been traded even once in their career (Chara... unless you consider a guy like Shattenkirk or Byfuglien in that class but they were both traded before their respective teams knew what they had).

That's exactly what you have in Edler and Tanev. No GM in the league would consider Tanev a #4 (unless he played on a stacked D-corps like the Rags, with Yandle, McDonagh, and Staal. A huge part of Edler's resurgence is a result of Tanev's calm, cool defensive play. Edler needs a steady presence, to allow him to play up to his potential.

Trading Tanev is step backward, unless you can get a #1 D-man in return. But good luck with that. Do you think contenders are lining up to trade away the Webers, Subbans, Doughtys, and Keiths of the world? You need to draft #1 defensemen, in today's NHL, unless you manage to snag the odd one through FA (again, good luck with that). If you were to look at a list of the top 15 bonafide #1 D-men, you'll notice that only one of them has been traded even once in their career (Chara... unless you consider a guy like Shattenkirk or Byfuglien in that class but they were both traded before their respective teams knew what they had).

:lol: Tanev is a #4 D on a good team. He's a #2 D on our team out of necessity, not merit.

Edler does not "need" Tanev. Was Ehrhoff a "calm, cool defensive" player? :lol: Tanev is nothing more than a competent partner. Not a bad thing at all but he does not have the size or skill to be considered a true, first pairing D. Ideally we could find another Salo (who was basically a hybrid of Ehrhoff /Tanev, with more size) as that's really Edler's ideal partner.

Moving #4 D Tanev for a #2 or even #3 D (or the salary space to sign one) is a step forward, not backwards. Nobody's talking about trading for a #1...as you say there's not many of them and you pretty much have to draft them.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/366525-report-canucks-set-to-begin-serious-contract-talks-with-chris-tanev-this-week/?hl=tanev

The Chris Tanev thread guys. Bump it and fill your boots.

A person has to backtrack pages here to find a word about Baertschi.

Wow I forgot what thread I was in. Figured it was the proposal forum in a thread called tanev+ for Weber.

Back on topic it seems like green has baertschi Re-energized. Hopefully he can keep it up, bulk up in summer and own a top 6 spot next season.

Wow I forgot what thread I was in. Figured it was the proposal forum in a thread called tanev+ for Weber.

Back on topic it seems like green has baertschi Re-energized. Hopefully he can keep it up, bulk up in summer and own a top 6 spot next season.

Yeah, I think this was a great move that goes beyond asset management from the perpsective of looking at (future) Canucks roster potential.

Utica is a very good team - 3rd in the Western Conference and only 6 points out of 1st in the AHL - despite having their blueline poached by the Canucks to fill injuries (they've dipped slightly in their last 10 games as a result) - but their bread and butter is is being a solid defensive team. They don't score a lot, and Baertschi gives them a nice boost in their top 6. The move doesn't just give the Canucks another guy in the demographic they were looking to add to, but it gives Green, who has done a great job, another weapon to work with that adds a bit more balance to his team (and that he undoubtedly had some input into / welcomed the addition of).

Leave him down to gain some traction, make a deep run in the playoffs, and see him at camp in September.

I take the long term view.

That sounds good.

BTW: Is it just me? Every time someone uses the word "traction" it makes me picture a Torts interview. Creepy.

sven basically will be in top six next yr so trades need to be made especially if virtanen is good to go next yr

a package of tanev, stanton, bonino, markstrom, vey, jensen, could get us some high level talent (draisatl reinhart, johansen,couturier) one of these guys

could be good targets

and unload hansen, higgins, weber, dorsett, mattias at draft for picks

sedin sedin vrbata

baerchi kass just need a good top second line center

kenins horvat virtanen another yr older faster and more hits with jake on this line will destroy league

gaunce viddler burrows viddler good ufa helps increase faceoff % gaunce is a big body 200way game plays in key situations

edler corrado

hamhuis clendening

sbisa bieska

hutton

miller

lack

conacker, shinkaruk, push for callups

benning can unload a ton of salary cap get a boat load of draft picks unloading a bunch of vets but with all these good youngsters filling in we wont miss a beat

sven basically will be in top six next yr so trades need to be made especially if virtanen is good to go next yr

a package of tanev, stanton, bonino, markstrom, vey, jensen, could get us some high level talent draisatl reinhart couturier

could be good targets

and unload hansen, higgins, weber, dorsett, mattias at draft for picks

sedin sedin vrbata

baerchi kass just need a good top second line center

kenins horvat virtanen another yr older faster and more hits with jake on this line will destroy league

gaunce viddler burrows viddler good ufa helps increase faceoff % gaunce is a big body 200way game plays in key situations

edler corrado

hamhuis clendening

sbisa bieska

hutton

miller

lack

conacker, shinkaruk, push for callups

benning can unload a ton of salary cap get a boat load of draft picks unloading a bunch of vets but with all these good youngsters filling in we wont miss a beat

Uhhhhhh, no.

Every player you mentioned there starts with Horvat/Virtanen. Do you know what you're talking about lol?

You actually think we'd get Reinhart or Drasaitl without giving up either Horvat or Virtanen.... come on, quantity =/= quality my friend

Baetschi with another goal tonight in a win, Utica's third straight.

7 points in 7 games. Utica is 5-1-1 over that stretch.

Had lost 3 straight and 4 of 5 prior to the (NHL) trade deadline when Baertschi was acquired - (the AHL's was a week later).

Uhhhhhh, no.

Every player you mentioned there starts with Horvat/Virtanen. Do you know what you're talking about lol?

You actually think we'd get Reinhart or Drasaitl without giving up either Horvat or Virtanen.... come on, quantity =/= quality my friend

You should check out the arm chair forum and read some of his proposals ;)

He's going to be gifted a spot next year. pretty ridiculous seeing as we'll let matthias walk, and let a smaller player join the roster.

thought we were trying to compete with la and ana?

That's some speculation. I wouldn't put too much thought into this considering that you don't know what will happen this off-season.

He's going to be gifted a spot next year. pretty ridiculous seeing as we'll let matthias walk, and let a smaller player join the roster.

thought we were trying to compete with la and ana?

Just because we haven't re-signed Matthias yet as it's only March, doesn't mean we'll let him walk.

Archived