The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Sven Baertschi to Canucks

On 3/2/2015 at 1:05 PM, RunningWild said:

Stupid trade. Not surprising cause I haven't agreed with 1 trade this guy has made since he came to Canuckland.

He gave up a 2nd rounder for a replacement levee player last summer. Now he's doing the same 5 months later.

A lot of NHL teams built their teams on 2nd round picks, and Bennings giving them away for players he can pick up for free in free agency. Apparently Benning thinks this team has such a great prospect pool that he can trade 2nd rounders for nothing.

People ripped Gillis for a few trades he made in 6 years as a GM. Well Bennings made more low value trades, and traded mor2 picks in 8 months as a GM than Gillis did in the last few years of his regime. And you know know what value he got for those picks, nada. Replacement level value.

Dumb trade by a dumb GM.

22 minutes ago, oldnews said:
23 minutes ago, oldnews said:

On 3/2/2015 at 1:05 PM, RunningWild said:

Stupid trade. Not surprising cause I haven't agreed with 1 trade this guy has made since he came to Canuckland.

He gave up a 2nd rounder for a replacement levee player last summer. Now he's doing the same 5 months later.

A lot of NHL teams built their teams on 2nd round picks, and Bennings giving them away for players he can pick up for free in free agency. Apparently Benning thinks this team has such a great prospect pool that he can trade 2nd rounders for nothing.

People ripped Gillis for a few trades he made in 6 years as a GM. Well Bennings made more low value trades, and traded mor2 picks in 8 months as a GM than Gillis did in the last few years of his regime. And you know know what value he got for those picks, nada. Replacement level value.

Dumb trade by a dumb GM.

On 3/2/2015 at 0:50 PM, CALGARY! said:

Im a Calgary Fan and I LOVE this trade. Baer$&!# has been given plenty of opportunities to crack our roster and hasnt, and I am big time stoked for the 2nd!!!!

On 3/2/2015 at 0:54 PM, TOMapleLaughs said:

Pretty much.

Are people this asleep? Bart's been ripped in cowtown for years...

RW, TOML, desi....really REKT themselves in this thread.

Of course the best part of this deal is seeing Sven emerging as a solid young talent in a Canucks jersey, but I'm still loving the added bonus that....

On 3/2/2015 at 1:01 PM, oldnews said:

Calgary gets to live with the Sven St Louis V2.0 anxiety for a few years now lol.

On 2015-03-02 at 1:05 PM, RunningWild said:

Vey, Baertschi, Demko -- looks like he's working on it, alright.

6 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Vey, Baertschi, Demko -- looks like he's working on it, alright.

Washington -  Orlov
Florida - Grimaldi, Petrovic, Brickley
Tampa - Kucherov
NYR - Stepan

Chicago - Bickell, Keith, Crawford, Saad
Dallas - Shore, Ritchie
St. Louis - Jaskin, Edmundson, Allen, Backes
LA - Toffoli, Clifford, 

Top four teams in each conference, samples of 2nd rounders on the rosters. Most teams have at least one good player. I would say Chicago definitely built it's team around 2nd round picks, with an important player at goalie, defense, and forward. Blues also did well. 

11 goals, 19 points in 43 games for Baertschi and 11 goals 30 points in 89 games for Vey so far, and that is just the start. Considering there is a 60% chance a 2nd round pick won't eve play 60 games in the NHL this is a calculated gamble. 

Also consider we signed Jason Garrison to a fairly long-term deal, which cost us zero assets. We got the two prime years out of that contract, and traded him for a 2nd round pick which we then flipped for Linden Vey. In terms of asset management, dropping Garrison for nothing would have been a positive. Tampa got one good season out of him, and now he has declined and is on the books for that 4.6 million dollar cap hit. It would have been a steal to sign Garrison for two years at a 4.6 million dollar cap hit. So looking at it that way, we practically got Vey for free.

We got a 2nd round pick for Tortorella, again another bonus.

Bieksa is another player who was a liability at his contract value and AGAIN we get a second round pick. 

Since Torts and Garrison cost us no assets, we essentially traded an over the hill Kevin Bieksa with one over-priced year left on his contract for Vey, Baertschi, and a second round pick. 

On 02/03/2015 at 0:23 PM, J.R. said:

Fair hockey deal. Benning continues to speed up the retool by swapping futures for almost nows.

Kid has the capacity to be really good in a year or two.

I'll throw in my initial reaction as well lol

4 hours ago, Caknuckle Puck said:

losing it aye?

Lol just because he is putting up points doesn't change my opinion. 

I stick to what I said. Nothing against him, but soft perimeter players are not what I want. Happy to see him improving. 

2 hours ago, Canucks Prophet said:

You owe a certain GM an apology.

Yet another mindless argument of "this player is too small for the big leagues. He's gonna suck!" I wonder how many success stories pop up  until people realize that smaller players can find success in the NHL, and there's proof to back it up.

I stick to what I said. Nothing against him, but soft perimeter players are not what I want. Happy to see him improving. 

Also, I never said he sucked. He was a top draft pick for a reason. I just don't like his size and style. 

9 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

I stick to what I said. Nothing against him, but soft perimeter players are not what I want.

Not sure how you can still call him a perimeter player.

Pretty much all of his goals have been him going to the net hard.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Not sure how you can still call him a perimeter player.

Pretty much all of his goals have been him going to the net hard.

Yeah. Hence why I said he is improving. You conveniently didn't quote that part. 

8 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Also, I never said he sucked. He was a top draft pick for a reason. I just don't like his size and style. 

not sure if Baer is soft. most of his goals recently have been going to the net hard. he's been playing exceptionally well with Horvat. love what I've been seeing lately from Baer. he's gonna be a beauty for us on the second line. may even have top like potential. who knows. 

11 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Say what, now?

10 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Lmao at that saying which people have no clue to which makes no sense. 

...you know not everyone can be a in the dirty areas player right? You need guys on the permiter as well who find the open spot and take advantage of it.

Funny thing, that Patrick Kane guy - you know, that permiter player - leading the league in points doesn't really go into those dirty areas. Just saying ;) 

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Of course the best part of this deal is seeing Sven emerging as a solid young talent in a Canucks jersey, but I'm still loving the added bonus that....

Barely resembles the more timid, perimeter player he was earlier on this season. There is a fire in his eyes now, and seeing a truly great player like Daniel return to form must be more than inspirational. 

Archived