The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If the Canucks' miss the playoffs. Will it mean the core is gone?

Don't hold your breath :P

Wouldn't mind if Bieksa's gone, but the Twins, Edler, Hammer, Tanev, Burr and Lack/ Miller still around they should be able to at least remain competitive. Going into next season I wouldn't mind if they stripped it down to this, though

Danny - Hank - Kass
Burr - ________ - Vrbata

Matthias - Horvat - _____
Kenins - _____ - Hansen

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - _______

Stanton - Clendening

Miller
Lack

If they tank who knows how long the team will struggle for? Conversely, if you look at that roster above and did some tinkering they might already be good enough to do very well.

You only need to pay attention to what management has continually stated to the public of their plan moving forward. The core is not moving, the team will retain their older veterans and introduce youth into the lineup while maintaining a goal of a winning atmosphere. How many times do people need to be told this.

I really enjoyed Jim Benning's deadline press conference, strongly stating Higgins was never an option to be moved, sorry to all the Higgins haters lol. I don't get why so many people keep disregarding what the team is telling them.

Guest Dasein

Big difference between the solid core of vets and a rookie netminder who hasn't won a game.

Big similarity in hitting the panic button nonetheless

And Markstrom is not a rookie

nope, core is signed. cap is unknown for next year, not many teams will want to take on salary unless they dump salary to make room. You'd either give them away for free or retain salary and get bags of pucks in return.

cap is not hard to trade look at deadline i really think benning should have traded richardson and higgins at deadline but if we miss playoffs 4-5 vets will be gone

so a record of 9 - 8 - 2 would probably get us in? So if the Canucks' are making the playoffs they need to beat a elite team 2 times at-least and beat the bottom feeders because we have 7 games against bottom feeders.

Im not exactly to sure what are record would have to be to make it in. I just heard something like .500 on sportsnet but I mean I think it really depends what happends with those other teams trying to get in too. .500 probably won't even be enough if those playoff hunting teams get hot. We are gonna have to string some wins together against those elite teams we have a tough schedual coming up.

Big similarity in hitting the panic button nonetheless

And Markstrom is not a rookie

Oh I see... so you are saying because Markstrom let in 3 goals on 4 shots and lost us the game we should trade the core... but Markstrom gets a pass?

Brilliant reasoning.

Until the Sedins retire, no. The dark ages will be upon us soon though. Enjoy these next few years while they last.

Horvat and Kenins have formed a productive pairing, but we will need another line producing by the time the Sedins retire or decline or yes, it will be dark ages. They should be good for at least another couple years though, which should be enough time to get Virtanen and McCann in and contributing, and there's always free agency to plug holes.

^^^ NucksFan1995:

Canucks are (36-24-3)

8-8-3 gives us about a 75% chance of getting in.

9-9-1 bumps it to 80%.

10-7-2 bumps it to 99% (.700 hockey)

(Sharks (32-25-8) need to go 9-4-4 for them to have better than a 50% chance of getting in)

Sedins are signed for 3 more years. They have no-trade-clauses. And they wouldn't waive the NTC's unless they both went together. That trade can't/won't ever happen.

That's irrelevant though, because trading them would be the dumbest thing ever. These are still PPG players, or close to it. They are ranked 17th and 20th in the league in points respectively.

I pray that we never trade them, and that they retire as Canucks. I don't want to see their legacy tarnished like the legacy of Jarome Iginla was. Look at what a fool Jarome Iginla was... the Calgary Flames might very well make the playoffs this year, and meanwhile he is playing for the Colorado Avalanche, a team that won't make the playoffs.

These are two future hall of famers. If they were to quit, and go join another team, and win a cup with them, then their legacy with us would be worthless. The team they won the cup with would retire their jerseys probably and we would be second fiddle to them. They might not even go into the hall of fame as Canucks (not sure how that works).

^^^ NucksFan1995:

Canucks are (36-24-3)

8-8-3 gives us about a 75% chance of getting in.

9-9-1 bumps it to 80%.

10-7-2 bumps it to 99% (.700 hockey)

(Sharks (32-25-8) need to go 9-4-4 for them to have better than a 50% chance of getting in)

That sounds a lot better then I thought

Guest Dasein

Oh I see... so you are saying because Markstrom let in 3 goals on 4 shots and lost us the game we should trade the core... but Markstrom gets a pass?

Brilliant reasoning.

No - I'm saying you are overreacting just like the OP

You clearly wouldn't know reasoning if it hit you square in the face

I say no. I think JB is willing to let the twins end their careers on non-playoff teams working towards creating new leaders for the future. Because of this, I think he'll want to keep the old core for a bit to teach the new core,

Actually it's a good thing we play 9 elite teams in the final stretch. We always seems to actually show up to play and prove our worth then. CHI, NYI, STL, BOS, ANA, DET, PIT, NYR, WAS, MON we've beaten them all and shown we can hang in tough with the big dogs, but as soon as it's a bottom feeder team the whole roster decides to take a period of two or three off. It's frustrating to see us having so much potential, but bombing big against ARI, BUF, TOR, OTT AND NJ. How is that possible?

So I'm just wondering if this team manages to miss the playoffs this year, could it mean the end for the core and retool process. Would it mean we go into a full rebuild mode eg 4-5 years

I'm looking at our schelude, and if you guys haven't yet then take a look now. You will be amazed at how many tough games this team has. Kind of wish this was February's schelude, since Benning would of done the obivous, but what can we do?

Either way, if this team makes the playoffs they will need to prove they can beat teams like Ducks, LA, Winnipeg, Dallas - because this team has shown they struggle against them lol,

we do play some easy teams like the Yotes, Oilers, Avs, Leafs, but again I don't see any of these teams being easy.

What do you guys think the record needs to be for this team to make the playoffs?

7-10-2 would that be fine? and my 2nd question, do you guys think it will be the end of the core if this team misses the playoffs?

I don't really get this question since we shook the core by trading Kesler and Luongo. The only players left as core players are the Sedins and we won't be trading them. We are also building a new core with youngsters like Horvat and Tanev.

Phoenix x2, Toronto, Philli, Columbus, Winnipeg, Colorado, Dallas, St. Louis.

Thats 9 perfectly winnable games right there. Phoenix went into tanking mode this week, Toronto did that long ago, Phili isnt very strong, Columbus i believe is still crippled. Winnipeg and Dallas maybe a bit harder and i dont know too much about Colorado, but Dallas has some injury problems as well. Oh and dont forget St.Louis and their inability to win against us no matter how bad we play.

We only need 7 more wins this month to go .500. If we steal any of the California or Nashville games thats just gravy. The only way we are missing the playoffs is if LA, Calgary and/or San Jose go on insane win streaks and knock us out.

And if you are interested in April, thats Chicago, Winnipeg, LA, Phoenix and Edmonton. Should be able to take 3 of those for sure. Would be nice to sweep the hawks this season.

Archived