The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NJD - No facial hair policy

Not sure if anyone caught this little blurb that was mentioned during the Sharks-Canucks game today. I think they were talking about Brent Burns and the HNIC commentators were joking that he could never play for the Devils because of their no facial hair policy.

I did some digging and basically it sounds like this policy has been in place for quite a few years.

Thoughts on it?

I personally can't stand the over the top, totally grown out beards like Burns, Hartnell (not sure if he still has it), and even guys like Higgins and Garrison. I think they look disgusting!

But I also don't think a team should be able to control how a player looks if it doesn't affect how they play. As long as they're in shape and are not wearing things that might get the club into trouble while they represent their teams, I think they should be allowed to do whatever they want.

I'd hate to have my identity controlled by who pays my paycheques

Lammerello is a dinosaur

From what I've heard about New Jersey, the whole program there is just like University Hockey. Rookies start on the 4th line, last defensive pairing, and as a back up netminder. Then you work your way up. So maybe they are old school in terms of players need to shave, look professional, etc.

I remember reading about Red Horner for the Leafs in the 30's, when he was a rookie he came to practice wearing a Parka (You know because Toronto gets cold in the winter?) They chastised him for wearing a Parka. Took him Downtown to get a suit, overcoat and fedora so he's "Look like a Leaf".

Now that's strict.

Many companies maintain control over an employee's appearance, beyond uniforms/dress code. Upscale hotels, airlines, etc. They'll not only tell you to be clean shaving, some will even control your exact hair style and make you wear company provided makeup if you're a woman.

Having said that, fans don't care if player looks professional on the ice, in fact it's considered cool to have an impressive playoff beard or "the sickest flow, bro". It seems weird to have grooming rules in a sport where guys regularly bleed from their faces and get teeth knocked out.

Many companies maintain control over an employee's appearance, beyond uniforms/dress code. Upscale hotels, airlines, etc. They'll not only tell you to be clean shaving, some will even control your exact hair style and make you wear company provided makeup if you're a woman.

Having said that, fans don't care if player looks professional on the ice, in fact it's considered cool to have an impressive playoff beard or "the sickest flow, bro". It seems weird to have grooming rules in a sport where guys regularly bleed from their faces and get teeth knocked out.

A lot of fans love it. Think about the Jagr mullets, the Parros staches (or the Lanny MacDonald stashes), etc. Fans get on board when a player has a sick flow or a wicked beard. This isn't corporate America, where grooming gives a sense of professionalism. Its the NHL, where fans are the clients, and the clients like beards and awful/great hair.

Devils' policy is just archaic and out of touch.

Lammerello is a dinosaur

Lammerello has got to be one of hockey's most overrated gms. He got lucky with Martin Brodeur and Scott Stevens and that was it. Look at all the coaches that he's fired. The Kovalchuk fiasco. One of the most boring uniforms in hockey.

Long live the days of Pat Verbeek, John McLean and the "Devil red" and "Garden State" dark green uniforms.

Lammerello has got to be one of hockey's most overrated gms. He got lucky with Martin Brodeur and Scott Stevens and that was it. Look at all the coaches that he's fired. The Kovalchuk fiasco. One of the most boring uniforms in hockey.

Long live the days of Pat Verbeek, John McLean and the "Devil red" and "Garden State" dark green uniforms.

Agreed .and now he is back behind the bench...I would imagine not an enjoyable experience for a player.

I heard of this yrs ago about the Devils. A little quirky but no big deal to me. I'd gladly stay clean shaven for 2-3 million a year ::D

Thing is you could probably make that 2-3 million on a team that isn't dictating your life. Over dramatic but still if I want a beard I'll damn well grow a beard.

You don't like Higgins' facial hair?? Damn, I'm a heterosexual male but he can get in me...

I'm sorry I have some news to break to you: If you, being a dude, want another dude to "get in you", you are no longer considered heterosexual.

A lot of fans love it. Think about the Jagr mullets, the Parros staches (or the Lanny MacDonald stashes), etc. Fans get on board when a player has a sick flow or a wicked beard. This isn't corporate America, where grooming gives a sense of professionalism. Its the NHL, where fans are the clients, and the clients like beards and awful/great hair.

Devils' policy is just archaic and out of touch.

so kassian to the devils is confirmed for never. His look is like the exact opposite of professional. But that is part of why people like him. The missing tooth the long serial killer balding hair and the unshaven just got arrested mug shot look and all.

Letting a player have an identity is part of the legacy they leave behind in the game. Even if a player wasn't a superstar they might be remembered for the way the look. The hair the stash etc. Totally disagree with any company policy that dictates how someone looks as long as it isn't racy or unsanitary.

I mean I wouldn't have the job I am in considering I look like a homeless person on the best of days lol. Never mind the tattoos and piercings.

Archived