The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Hit] Brandon Bollig drills Barret Jackman 'head first' into the glass. Suspension due?

Odd.

I started off feeling a little surprised the NHL wasn't looking at it, but I went back to watch the video again. Jackman turns in a little more than a full 180 to end up facing the boards, so that's a factor (can't outright call it a check from behind), and it's not late since he's playing the puck. Bollig keeps his elbow in, so that's fine too, and while he does come up a bit in the hit, it looks like he doesn't leave his feet prior to it. It's not the greatest play, sure, but I can see how the penalties on the ice are more than enough if he got 5 and a game.

I actually didn't think that looked all that bad.

5 and a game was appropriate. I could see maybe a game or 2 as well.

Comparing that to what Buff did (which he got 4 games for) and I don't think that's looks like much of anything.

If it was Hansen making that hit I doubt many people would be calling for 8 games. Hell we'd probably find a way to blame it on the other guy. ;)

I agree with each of those (and of course probably with the last one too). Penalties on the ice were good, wasn't a hit from behind since Jackman turns to play the puck, Bollig doesn't charge or elbow, etc..

The worst I can say about it is he elevates a little and takes a few strides to get to the hit, but even that wasn't that bad.

Yeah, nothing 'clean' about that hit whatsoever.

Jackman spins to locate the puck and then attempts to move it on the backhand - so yes, he turns his back to the play - but Bollig actually alters his course to complete the hit - and quite possibly leaves his feet in the process - at the very least launching into the high back and driving his face into the boards.. Can't really argue that Bollig was set in his course and that Backman simply turned into it. Bollig's wrecklessness/intent looks pretty clear there.

Probably should have had a couple games tacked on to the major and misconduct.

Shockingly, I'm agreeing with the DoPS again on this one. (I feel dirty now.)

While I'm fine with it getting the 5 & a game it got I don't think it rises to the current standard (as such as it is) for a suspension. It certainly doesn't compare to the hit that got Nordstrom suspended for 2 games last month, or even the boarding that got Bollig suspended for 2 playoff games last season. For one, Jackman did turn around just before the contact. Without having a tenth of a second clock on the hit (seriously, how is that not available already?!) it's hard to tell if Bollig had time according to the DoPS standard (again, as such as it is) to abort the hit. Second, Bollig didn't raise his arm to target the head but instead hit Jackman in the back. Third, while it was boarding Jackman wasn't a dangerous distance from the boards. Players get hit at that distance all the time and Jackman does have a responsibility as an eligible player to be aware of impending contact. I don't think he saw Bollig coming and turned deliberately, but I do believe he was trying to protect the puck, as players often do, and that inadvertently resulted in what would have otherwise been legal contact becoming illegal. Had he not turned and the exact same hit been delivered to the side of his body people would be cheering.

Of course, the one factor that makes it seem like it might rise to the level of warranting a suspension is that Bollig is starting to leave his feet at the beginning of the hit. Unfortunately, the DoPS has been terribly inconsistent on that being a factor, sometimes choosing to see it as one and and others not, sometimes seeing it as a player leaving his feet as the hit continues and others seeing what looks the same as a player leaping into the hit. It's no wonder players and fans are confused about what is and is not acceptable. To me, that level of uncertainty the DoPS has created is even more unacceptable and dangerous than the hit.

And yet again, we see that players aren't learning a thing. Time to give out meaningful suspensions, or we'll likely see many more of these hits in the playoffs.

you can suspend a guy for an entire season and these hits will still happen, you will never get these completely out of the game.

you can suspend a guy for an entire season and these hits will still happen, you will never get these completely out of the game.

There will always be some that still do it, but if a player was given 10 games, it's less likely he or his teammates make a similar hit anytime soon.

I started off feeling a little surprised the NHL wasn't looking at it, but I went back to watch the video again. Jackman turns in a little more than a full 180 to end up facing the boards, so that's a factor (can't outright call it a check from behind), and it's not late since he's playing the puck. Bollig keeps his elbow in, so that's fine too, and while he does come up a bit in the hit, it looks like he doesn't leave his feet prior to it. It's not the greatest play, sure, but I can see how the penalties on the ice are more than enough if he got 5 and a game.

I agree with each of those (and of course probably with the last one too). Penalties on the ice were good, wasn't a hit from behind since Jackman turns to play the puck, Bollig doesn't charge or elbow, etc..

The worst I can say about it is he elevates a little and takes a few strides to get to the hit, but even that wasn't that bad.

Bollig had plenty of time to see the numbers and ease up, he also brought his elbow up to head level

Bollig had plenty of time to see the numbers and ease up, he also brought his elbow up to head level

Jackman turned just prior to the hit, it's not like he had his back turned and Bollig could see it even from before he started coming in. Watch the video again, and freeze it on the last angle at the start of 0:59. Jackman is turning, but still has his back to the boards. As that one second continues, Bollig enters the frame and Jackman is still turning, now nearly sideways to the boards. Just as it switches to the 1:00 mark, Jackman turns to face the boards and Bollis is at most 3-5 feet from him by then. I doubt he can pull out of the hit at that point. It's pure reaction that he turns to him to complete the hit.

And for the elbow at head level I think you're watching a different hit, since his elbow is down by his side when he makes contact. If you don't believe me, go back to the 1:00 mark I mentioned before, just a couple of frames into that second. His left elbow is down at his side and catches Jackman in the back as he makes the hit. Even after the hit (at 1:01, or even 0:50 for the other angle) his arm comes out a bit, as it does for most players in almost any hit, but it's still well below head level.

We can debate whether that was enough time for him to react and not follow through on the hit (and certainly whether he left his feet prior to contact), but let's not turn this hit into something it's not by bringing up elbows to the head.

5 games, seems about right. Well maybe 3-4 now since they class playoff games a bit different than reg season.

Boarding, plus he threw his arm up. Not sure if it was his elbow, but his arm definitely left his stick to deliver that hit. Plus the cut, so 3-5 games should be about right by NHL standards.

Archived