The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Live Long Enough to Become the Villain (Bieksa)

DhillonCanuck

This is so much fail. You don't think four years of keeping the same group giving them chance after chance is extreme loyalty? What have the players given back in return? Lack of drive and desire. Half ass play come playoff time. No compete when the going gets tough. Big talk but no ability to bring it when needed.

I say the players need to earn loyalty and they haven't.

I am loyal to the team not individual players. Because it is about doing what is best for the team not what is best for a few entitled vets.

You're so much fail... The truth of the matter is that this guy brings it game in and game out.. I don't know what team you've been watching, but the team I watched had 2 D that played worse than this guy on a regular basis in Weber and Sbisa. Add to that fact that Edler is utterly completely useless without Tanev, and that puts Bieksa in the top 3 after Tanev and beside Hamhuis who also didn't play that well in my opinion.. (Watch game 7, Calgary's first 3 goals and see who's playin D)

Choke job? You make it seem like we were legit contenders this season. We drafted 6th overall last season. We had a good turn around and made the playoffs a lot earlier then was pegged by experts and some fans. Hardly a "choke job".

It was a choke job because of who we played. The flames drafted 4th overall last year and had like the worst possession stats ever for a playoff team. They're like the avs last year who got bounced in the first round. They're not a good team and the canucks somehow played worse than them. This was the easiest 1st round opponent the canucks have played in forever or history.

If we played like the ducks or hawks, etc then I wouldn't classify it as a choke as we'd be clear underdogs going in. However, it was the flames who are the worst team to make the playoffs this year. Was pretty inexcusable to lose to them.

No link. Theme of morning radio Canucks talk and polling question about whether or not he should be asked to waive, this following Tony G's 'Oh alright, I guess I'll be the one to ask' question yesterday.

Bieksa would be top-2 on the following teams:

Arizona

Edmonton

Colorado

Dallas

Carolina

New Jersey

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh, given constant injuries to Letang.

NYI, tying top RHD duties with Boychuk.

Buffalo

TO

Detroit

Possibly Columbus

For those thinking he is 'done', I put forward this:

Willie+Mitchell+2012+NHL+Stanley+Cup+Fin

But I think that is it though. Will he have a chance to do this here?

That list is just plain wrong. The only team I can see Bieksa being top 2 on that list is Edmonton and Toronto, and that's only because Nurse and Klefbom just aren't there yet and Toronto is just Toronto.

Bieksa is a seasoned player, his skill level should be close to flawless....he does not protect our players, he does not fight as much as he use to, and his Defensive coverage leaves many to believe he is injured!?!? lol Juice is old now lets get that straight. The only one here that tries to stay "relevant" His witty humor that he TRIES to portray only gets him in trouble.

Sbisa is younger and he should learn from our vets and he will....his give away only marks the following of our veterans who have been giving it away away all season. While Sbisa is a loose end I would like to believe that he will be better next year...Where as KB3 will be just the same lah dee dah skater on the ice with quirky come backs and no relevance.

What really bugs is the Tanev extension, I believe in Tanev but I do not think the length in his contract is positive. 2-3 year extension would have been suffice. his play at teh end of the season and suring the POs was not great...plus his give away in the last game gotta us kicked.

You really believe that Bieksa is as effective at either end of the ice as Boychuk? That is one example of seeing what you want to see. What in their play and numbers the past few seasons makes you think that exactly?

Look at the D on those teams you listed a little more closely. Then look at their prospect pools. Then look at the players available to sign as free agents. Some of those teams will have far better options than Bieksa in short order and most actually have better options already despite the ridiculous notion that he is a top 2 d in the NHL. Any team that has Bieksa in their top 2 is not even making the playoffs.

Mitchell was a risk based on injury. Bieksa is a risk based on seriously declining play not related to injury. It is apples to oranges. Being done because of a major concussion and being done because of lack of skill are two different things.

Boychuk is insanely overpaid, and that should put Bieksa's $4.6mil cap hit into some real perspective.

People seem to think Bieksa is 'done' at 33yrs old. Lol. That's two years older than 'all-star' Boychuk! But their actual on-ice play, what they bring to the table, is comparable.

Anyway, assuming Bieksa does move on, I just see an ongoing process of undervaluing and running core players out of here one at a time, while at the same time being sold on keeping veteran leadership, mentors, blah blah blah around at the same time. That doesn't compute. I think we should stop beating around the bush and just do what freakin' needs to be done. Enough bs. Enough pretending.

But if Bieksa stays forever like he says, yay. This discussion is meaningless.

At 4.6 cap hit and a 5th or 6th pairing D he should be replaced. He is UFA at the end of next season and there will be teams still willing to offer him a 4 million contract and I hope that it’s not Vancouver. Really ask yourself is the guy going to take a $2 million discount and limited minutes just so he can remain a Canuck. No, he’s not, so let’s move on replace Bieska with Green in the summer and hope that the big Russian can take over for Hammer over the next couple seasons. If not we find someone else through trade, draft, or UFA’s. This team needs to add PMD as well as a big hard hitting stay at home defensive defencemen.

Everything Bieska provides this team is replaceable, he doesn’t provide a ton of office, he doesn’t provide great defence, he isn’t a punishing hard hitter, he isn’t a fighter. He is a gritty hard worker and that alone is not worth a 4.6 cap hit. Bieska is not a leader. Over the last year we’ve had rookies in the media talking about the players on the team that helped them make an easier transition to the NHL. Horvat mentioned Hamhuis, Matthias and Dorsett. Kassian mentions the Sedins and Dorsett This team already has good leadership. You don’t need a team filled with 70% leaders. You need 1 or 2 forwards and 1 or 2 D. I would take Hamhuis, Edler and even the young Tanev as a leaders before KB3. Bieska is the most vocal in the media but that doesn’t make him a leader in the dressing room.

I’m sorry if that upsets anyone but I care more about winning than I do about being loyal players past there expiration date and I’m sure Benning feels the same. Bieska is gone at the end of next year when we don’t resign him, we might as well trade him, get something in return and use the freed up cap space to sign someone that can fill up a current hole. Calgary moved on from Iggy and got a piece for the future, When Linden got dealt from Vancouver we ended up getting Bertuzzi. It’s time to move on from our stale core.

Boychuk is insanely overpaid, and that should put Bieksa's $4.6mil cap hit into some real perspective.

People seem to think Bieksa is 'done' at 33yrs old. Lol. That's two years older than 'all-star' Boychuk! But their actual on-ice play, what they bring to the table, is comparable.

Anyway, assuming Bieksa does move on, I just see an ongoing process of undervaluing and running core players out of here one at a time, while at the same time being sold on keeping veteran leadership, mentors, blah blah blah around at the same time. That doesn't compute. I think we should stop beating around the bush and just do what freakin' needs to be done. Enough bs. Enough pretending.

But if Bieksa stays forever like he says, yay. This discussion is meaningless.

What does being overpaid have to do with it? Skill wise you feel Bieksa is an equal at this point to Boychuk? That is a fairy tale. Boychuk is more physical, better offensively and defensively, and is a true leader by example on his team. By a large margin better than Bieksa.

And being overpaid on a young team with tons of cap space is palatable for what he brings. Overpaying Bieksa on a team at the cap ceiling with several other such players is cap suicide. Apples to oranges.

Lots of emotional decisions made here when it comes to Casual Kev. Gotta face facts folks, his 'leadership' (what kind of leader basically condemns the idea of getting younger and that this old core is still good enough???) and skill set are replaceable.

Hockey is a business now. Emotional ties to players have to be severed for the improvement of the team. Keeping anchors like Bieksa around will keep this team from progressing. This is a team in transition and it needs to move out some of the old guard and breath some fresh life into this team.

It's funny how many people want more youth yet in the same breath want to keep fossils like Bieksa and Burrows.

Willie+Mitchell+2012+NHL+Stanley+Cup+Fin

But I think that is it though. Will he have a chance to do this here?

Highly doubt it. One thing Mitchell had/ has that Juice doesn't is consistency. The team that signs him knows that he won't be the leader on the blue-line in points, but he plays rock-solid, big minutes defense. Juice normally only shows up when it's his contract year, and though it's another contract year for him I have doubts as to whether he could regain that top form, seeing how his scoring has simply fallen off a cliff after a strong first year in the contract (0.56 p.p.g., then 0.33, 0.32, 0.23 this season) and he was repeatedly getting beat on defense by faster forwards to the point that Weber passed him on the depth chart. Add in the fact that he's 33 and should only continue down this trajectory of decline, both in terms of his stats and foot speed.

For people who use "heart" and "humor" as reasons for him to stay, I'd like to remind them that hockey at the end of the day is a business. Sure, he provides grit and physicality in pummeling Ferland in a scrum for instance, but without enough ability in offense/ defense, where is his contribution to the team? If the team needed a comedian or good P.R. that's what they'd hire, not an expensive hockey player with other skills to offer, but the likes of which are being underutilized or declining. Honestly, even Deryk Engelland, who's also 33, looked like a safer option than Juice during the postseason, when he pretty much held his own even though he was, in the regular season, an anvil that T.J. Brodie was forced to carry around the ice with Giordano injured. Yet, in his playing around 20 minutes a game most nights, he made the safe, effective plays and provided physicality (yes he was a goon, but I digress).

Maybe if the team had an offensive guy to partner with Juice instead of Pizza (those two work better as a food combo than an on-ice pairing!) he'd have more success, since I think he could still be a defensive presence, if not a force, if he could use the strengths that remain in his game (physical play, safe-enough defense) effectively on a consistent basis. If instead he's the guy who has to lug the puck out, his lack of foot-speed leads to turnovers. With him as a safe and aware defensive guy, I hope he can at least leave the team (whether as UFA or deadline trade) on a good note.

This just might be the last off-season with Juice around. If he doesn't rebound this upcoming year, I think fans would have no choice but to say thanks for the memories, Kev, when he gets replaced.

You're so much fail... The truth of the matter is that this guy brings it game in and game out.. I don't know what team you've been watching, but the team I watched had 2 D that played worse than this guy on a regular basis in Weber and Sbisa. Add to that fact that Edler is utterly completely useless without Tanev, and that puts Bieksa in the top 3 after Tanev and beside Hamhuis who also didn't play that well in my opinion.. (Watch game 7, Calgary's first 3 goals and see who's playin D)

Weber is not paid like a top 4 guy. And he scored a lot of goals for us so is at least useful at one end of the ice. Sbisa is the new excuse to keep Bieksa. He is young and getting better though. He brings everything Bieksa does with the advantage of youth on his side.

You are saying Edler is useless but you think Bieksa is a top 3 guy? Wow put down the bong.

This thread is a joke, so because the guy scored a goal 4 years ago, how was he better than sbisa? He doesn't bring anything to the team anymore besides leadership.. big whoop. People need to to stop living in the past. He is a shadow of his former self. And this is a business, a what have you done for me lately business.. and Kevin, I'm sorry hasn't done nearly enough

It was a choke job because of who we played. The flames drafted 4th overall last year and had like the worst possession stats ever for a playoff team. They're like the avs last year who got bounced in the first round. They're not a good team and the canucks somehow played worse than them. This was the easiest 1st round opponent the canucks have played in forever or history.

If we played like the ducks or hawks, etc then I wouldn't classify it as a choke as we'd be clear underdogs going in. However, it was the flames who are the worst team to make the playoffs this year. Was pretty inexcusable to lose to them.

However good or bad you think Calgary is, they were only 4 points worse than the Canucks...while missing their best player for 21 games.

Weber is not paid like a top 4 guy. And he scored a lot of goals for us so is at least useful at one end of the ice. Sbisa is the new excuse Toledo Bieksa. He is young and getting better though. He brings everything Bieksa does with the advantage of youth on his side.

You are saying Edler is useless but you think Bieksa is a top 3 guy? Wow put down the bong.

Put Edler out there without Tanev.. I dare you...

The hate that Bieksa has garnered is unbelievable, this is the same guy who scored the winning goal to send us to the finals, that goal was just as important as Burrows'. This is the same guy who took a paycut to stay here. He has a year left and after that he would likely play for dirt cheap and be a serviceable defenseman to close out his career. His season was tainted because he played with a garbage player like Sbisa.

Take note most of you may not have noticed, but after Sbisa had that brutal giveaway on Ferland's goal, him and Bieksa only took shifts with the twins. This shows how Sbisa has brought down his dman. Doesnt anyone remember how well this guy plays if played with a proper partner. Just look at Edler, he looks terrible when he plays with anyone other than Tanev, why not trade him he has a greater value. You don't trade players like Bieksa, and the funny thing is if you think about it for a second none of you truly want to. You people love this guy but are trying to hate him after one series where Sbisa was the worst player and brought him and the whole team down.

You either die a hero or you live long enough to become the villain..Bieksa is what this city needs but not someone who we deserve

Well said.

Most of them are probably the same idiots who wanted rid of Edler.

Archived