The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Kevin Bieksa wants to stay in Vancouver

Anyone thought the possibility of Hamhuis being that one that gets traded?

I mean Bieksa's cap hit might be a tad high on where he is at now but after next season perhaps he can sign an extension similar to Chris Neil. Perhaps a $2 Million / year salary would still be a good deal for Bieksa especially since he still brings a ton of leadership and toughness to the team.

Hamhuis role looks like it can be replaced by Tanev or Corrado down the line.

Plus Hamhuis will fetch a better return.

If Juice won't waive his NTC, I'd give him 12 minutes a night playing with Sbisa. Limit the damage the pair can do and use Edler, Tanev, Hammer and Weber for the increased minutes. Well, bring in a Dman and have Weber as 7th man.

With Juice and Vrbata's contracts ending after next season, what's the betting we have a VERY young team the following year?

The people saying we should trade Bieksa or get rid of him are the same people who ran Naslund, Luongo, etc. out of town. Just stop. Bieksa is a Canuck for life whether you like it or not and he will be on the Canucks roster come training camp.

But the difference is that Naslund was still producing - a 60pt season followed by 55pts in his final year. Luongo was, and still is, an elite goalie. Only a minority of fans wanted either gone.

With Juice, his contributions have been so negligible the last two seasons, one wonders if we'd have been better off dressing 5 Dmen at times. I love the man, I love his fight and his PMA, but as a hockey player on our team, he's not good enough for where we want to be.

Although having said that, I would happily welcome Juice back if Sbisa wasn't here. Having two error-prone Dmen on the same team is only going to end up in tears.

But the difference is that Naslund was still producing - a 60pt season followed by 55pts in his final year. Luongo was, and still is, an elite goalie. Only a minority of fans wanted either gone.

With Juice, his contributions have been so negligible the last two seasons, one wonders if we'd have been better off dressing 5 Dmen at times. I love the man, I love his fight and his PMA, but as a hockey player on our team, he's not good enough for where we want to be.

Although having said that, I would happily welcome Juice back if Sbisa wasn't here. Having two error-prone Dmen on the same team is only going to end up in tears.

Producing or not, Naslund was still driven out of town by the very same fanbase. I wanted Nazzy to stay and was sad and disappointed that he left. But it was obvious people here didn't want him despite his offensive production. And half the fanbase wanted Luongo gone. That it was time to turn a new chapter and that the longer he stayed in Vancouver, the worse it got. I'm not sure if you were around in the forums that time but it was very bad. People wanted Luongo gone. People wanted Naslund gone. And now people want Bieksa gone. Productivity isn't the reason why the fans drove them out.

The people saying we should trade Bieksa or get rid of him are the same people who ran Naslund, Luongo, etc. out of town. Just stop. Bieksa is a Canuck for life whether you like it or not and he will be on the Canucks roster come training camp.

Well I want Bieksa gone, but was apart of the keep Naslund and keep Luongo group. I was super upset when Naslund wasn't re-signed and was in shock when I got the news that Luongo got traded.

Those situations have nothing to do with this, I was also part of the don't trade Edler group last year. Bieksa is completely different as his play is not up to par and he has been making costly mistakes over the past 3 seasons, he's consistently had the worst d-pairings on this team since 2011.

Sometimes certain guys just need to go, it's KB3's time to go. I would much rather keep Sbisa over KB3.

I understand the Sbisa hate, but if majority of you cannot call out Bieksa on his play and are calling out Sbisa then you guys need a reality check. Sbisa is younger, tougher, and has potential to be better. He can easily be a top-4 defenceman, don't run Luca Sbisa out yet!

Let him settle down and find a proper partner to play with, I'm sure he'll find his way and be an important player for this team in the next 2 years. If he doesn't pan out, then he can always be traded or leave as a free agent.

Yaaaaaay we get to see him spoil another run for the Canucks ;)

Bieksa spoiled it ? Lol. Better think again man. Obviously u were eating paint chips while edler,Tanev, and hamhuis were on the ice and must have missed their useless performances.

Who was responsible for sending us to game seven in 2011? I think he's earned some respect don't you ?

Producing or not, Naslund was still driven out of town by the very same fanbase. I wanted Nazzy to stay and was sad and disappointed that he left. But it was obvious people here didn't want him despite his offensive production. And half the fanbase wanted Luongo gone. That it was time to turn a new chapter and that the longer he stayed in Vancouver, the worse it got. I'm not sure if you were around in the forums that time but it was very bad. People wanted Luongo gone. People wanted Naslund gone. And now people want Bieksa gone. Productivity isn't the reason why the fans drove them out.

I've been lurking for years and I do remember some fans wanted both Nazzy and Lu to leave; however with Nazzy it was his lack of 'leadership' I remember being questioned and with Lu, it was the 'goalie controversy'.

If FGMMG hadn't traded Lu, I think GMJB would have built around Lu and his contract just fine. We ran one quality goaltender out of town and traded another, but this time we don't have a quality defenseman. We're talking about a bottom four Dman with declining production, health and usefulness, with a large cap hit. This isn't PK Subban and a bad attitude, it's not Slava Voynov and legal issues, it's an aging stalwart who is beginning to severely hamper our team's chances of success. As I said I love the guy, but I don't appreciate what he brings to the team anymore. Grit and steel only get you so far.

Bieksa spoiled it ? Lol. Better think again man. Obviously u were eating paint chips while edler,Tanev, and hamhuis were on the ice and must have missed their useless performances.

Who was responsible for sending us to game seven in 2011? I think he's earned some respect don't you ?

Sentimentality gets you nowhere. Ask the Kings and Bruins now, and see how different their teams are in October. When a player starts to have a negative impact on your team, you bench him or trade him. Juice is all heart, and that's great, but he needs to play like it's 2011 if he wants to get a contract extension.

Archived