The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Kevin Bieksa wants to stay in Vancouver

7th dman? This is absolutely ridiculous, Corrado and Clendenning are not that good. I remember not too long ago in the middle of the season, the fans were calling Bieksa the unofficial captain the team. He is the only defencemen on the team that shows any heart and the only dman that won't take injury time off after tripping over the blue line. You guysare talking like he lost us the series, give me a break. Our whole team was awful, we had a rookie coach who made bad mistakes, our goal-tending was well below average (Lack was bad, just because Miller wasn't great, doesn't mean Lack wasn't bad either) and our offence consisted of just the Sedins, as usual. Bieksa might get you a pick, but not as good as you think. For a good pick, people will want Tanev (who also sucked in the playoffs btw).

I dont think any fan would have the balls to say anything to bieksa in real life

As they shouldn't. It's Bieksas life, he can do whatever he damn well pleases with it. He went through all the pain, hardship, work to get to where he is now and to negotiate his NTC. He and his family deserve all the benefits of his hard labour and to what he is owed contractually. Just because the city is now currently using him as the scapegoat, he is supposed to up and quit? Pft, the fans of this city, no loyalty. Honestly, if the fans were a player on the team, they would have been Luongo'd out of this city long ago for being too whiny.

We all know that Bieksa can decide to play his final year in Vancouver if he wishes.

I think it's a safe bet that if he did not have that NMC, he would be shipped out during the upcoming offseason.

This is a great example why NMCs can be a real disadvantage for teams.

Bieksa is still a decent defender, but his time has run out in Vancouver. It's not just his age, he's played a lot of hockey and it seems his best days are behind him. If he is going to have a renaissance, it won't be with the Canucks.

He doesn't have a NMC, he has a NTC. He can be bought for about a 600k cap hit

He doesn't have a NMC, he has a NTC. He can be bought for about a 600k cap hit

If the Canucks can buy him out for so little, why not just do it? At this point, cap space might be more valuable than veteran players, as it allows the team room to make moves easier later on.

7th dman? This is absolutely ridiculous, Corrado and Clendenning are not that good. I remember not too long ago in the middle of the season, the fans were calling Bieksa the unofficial captain the team. He is the only defencemen on the team that shows any heart and the only dman that won't take injury time off after tripping over the blue line. You guysare talking like he lost us the series, give me a break. Our whole team was awful, we had a rookie coach who made bad mistakes, our goal-tending was well below average (Lack was bad, just because Miller wasn't great, doesn't mean Lack wasn't bad either) and our offence consisted of just the Sedins, as usual. Bieksa might get you a pick, but not as good as you think. For a good pick, people will want Tanev (who also sucked in the playoffs btw).

The point isn't that Corrado or Clendening are "that good". The point is that Kevin Bieksa is not "that good" anymore either.

I don't think anyone can question he has the most heart of anyone on the team but his play has declined rapidly since 2012. He is just not that good of a defenceman anymore, despite all of the intangibles. I'm not against keeping him on the team and having him, say, rotate that 3rd pairing spot either -- if I had my way it would be Sbisa being rotated out and that isn't happening -- but by season's end he looked exhausted, as he should given his age and style of play, and I think his effectiveness diminishes further if he continues to play every single game of the season. Bring him in against the hard/tougher teams but use a better skater like Frank Corrado against the faster teams.

You seem to assume that any sort of negative connotation with Bieksa is a sign of a Bieksa-hater. I love Bieksa and think that, for what he has done for this franchise over all of these years, deserves to remain a Canuck through the end of his contract. My reasoning for getting a return for KB3 in a trade is that I just don't see how this team signs him to an extension after next season. He could very well rebound and have a good year but the trend has been in the opposite direction for 3 straight years so I have to assume it continues.

I dont think any fan would have the balls to say anything to bieksa in real life

No one would walk up to a person and just bad mouth them. No sane person anyway. But if he asked me my opinion I'd have no problem telling him I don't think he's all that good anymore. Then we could have a civil debate about what he brings, shake hands and walk away.

If the Canucks can buy him out for so little, why not just do it? At this point, cap space might be more valuable than veteran players, as it allows the team room to make moves easier later on.

Because, unlike what most fans here think, there are 29 teams out there who would love to have his toughness on the blueline. He might not be someone you want on the ice for 22 min a night anymore, but for 18 min 5/6 pairing, we missed his edge when he was out of the lineup. There are a few fans that are really blind to it, but its still there, he is still effective.

Yeh some people are ridiculous complaining about his contract saying it's preventing us from acquiring anyone else. We can easily trade Millers 6 million, Higgins 2.5 which creates 8.5 million of room which would allow us to sign a legit d man(Green hopefully) We made the mistake of letting Willie Mitchell go, don't think we want to risk losing Kevin. After next year, he'll probably re-sign to a 2 year/5 million deal and anchor our bottom pairing with hopefully Hamhuis also taking a discounted deal.

People were also wanting to ship Edler out last summer, now look he's our best d-man and a legit #2 d-man.

Yeh some people are ridiculous complaining about his contract saying it's preventing us from acquiring anyone else. We can easily trade Millers 6 million, Higgins 2.5 which creates 8.5 million of room which would allow us to sign a legit d man(Green hopefully) We made the mistake of letting Willie Mitchell go, don't think we want to risk losing Kevin. After next year, he'll probably re-sign to a 2 year/5 million deal and anchor our bottom pairing with hopefully Hamhuis also taking a discounted deal.

People were also wanting to ship Edler out last summer, now look he's our best d-man and a legit #2 d-man.

This! We are already soft on the blueline. You need someone to help mentor some of the tougher D that we have coming up.

Won't be at all surprised if he signs an extension that sees him retire as a Canuck. Like any player, they need to play a little less as they get older. What's funny, is the same people complaining about him will be the first ones saying that we should sign someone in free agency who's like 38 and nearly dead, so they can mentor our young D coming up.

Benning won't trade Sbisa.

He also said he'll keep Weber.

Clendening has to make the team next year or be traded.

Bieksa will play significant minutes if he stays on the team, definitely not as our 7th D-man.

So...

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Weber

Sbisa - Bieksa

(Stanton), Clendening

Same thing as last season. No improvement from our mediocre defensive play.

I dont think we should have to go through another year of that back end..I thought they wanted to win in this town....makes no sense..half of them should be gone..its our weak spot.

Archived