The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Coveted Blue Jackets draft prospect Mike Reilly to test free agency

Columbus should have tried to sign him earlier. At least we got our 4th rounder signed.

It says in the article that as long as a prospect remains in school, the team only retains the rights to the player. Now that he's decided to leave school, the team only had 30 days to get it done. Not much time, I'd say.

This seems a bit like a dick move by Reilly.

It would suck, but after Murray's public sobbing it would be karmic if that were to happen. I think that's one of the reason's why Murray has signed a couple of Eichel's old teammates. Murray realizes that he put everybody in an awkward position. He wants to entice him out of college and into a contract.

Speaking of awkward and/or funny.... http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/jack-eichel-fitted-for-sabres-shirt--awkwardness-ensues--video-164328056.html

Haha honestly, this is exactly what I hoped would happen after the way Murray acted. Nothing against the Sabres prior to this, and I can't say there's really anybody on the roster I hate, but the way Murray all but openly tanked and then cried about not getting the first overall really pissed me off. I'd be embarrassed as a Canucks fan if a GM of ours ever pulled crap like that.

LOL, Eichel wont wait an extra 3 years to join the NHL, spurning millions of dollars, to burn Buffalo... :sadno:

i remember almost EVERY analyst saying the same thing about Lindros and recently Schultz.

While i dont think Eichel would do that. Anything is possible

It says in the article that as long as a prospect remains in school, the team only retains the rights to the player. Now that he's decided to leave school, the team only had 30 days to get it done. Not much time, I'd say.

This seems a bit like a dick move by Reilly.

I don't really get it.. If they table a max elc in that time why doesn't he have to sign with his team? Is it just he waits out the rest of the 4 years?

I don't really get it.. If they table a max elc in that time why doesn't he have to sign with his team? Is it just he waits out the rest of the 4 years?

Yup, that's the risk drafting NCAA players that continue to go to University, you can't sign until you want to leave school. I hope Demko doesn't get any ideas

Someone should sign him then trade him back to Columbus for Rychel. :bigblush:

That would be hilarious. Be better if the gm's had enough of this crap and all got together and made a deal to sign these guys and trade em back for a their last pick in the draft.

Because you're only eligible to get the same offer everywhere else. He can't get more than max ELC.

If he really didn't want to be playing for Columbus, he should've asked for a trade early on. This is just a dick move on his part.

Because you're only eligible to get the same offer everywhere else. He can't get more than max ELC.

If he really didn't want to be playing for Columbus, he should've asked for a trade early on. This is just a dick move on his part.

I think it's more that time has passed and he's only 3 months from being able to go anywhere, why not wait? I'd probably do the same

I think it's more that time has passed and he's only 3 months from being able to go anywhere, why not wait? I'd probably do the same

The fact that they took him in the 4th round should mean something IMO. Every other team passed on him 3 times, some teams 4. Where's the loyalty?

The fact that they took him in the 4th round should mean something IMO. Every other team passed on him 3 times, some teams 4. Where's the loyalty?

Using your logic, should the 9th round pick pout and not sign with the team that passed over him 8 times? Along with the other NHL teams? Obviously, they're not loyal...

Reilly had some 3-4 years to decide if Columbus was right for him and instead of letting Columbus know that he doesn't want to be there earlier, he decides to tell them NOW that he wants to be a free agent?

Team had only 30 days to negotiate with him. Hardly fair.

Using your logic, should the 9th round pick pout and not sign with the team that passed over him 8 times? Along with the other NHL teams? Obviously, they're not loyal...

Reilly had some 3-4 years to decide if Columbus was right for him and instead of letting Columbus know that he doesn't want to be there earlier, he decides to tell them NOW that he wants to be a free agent?

Team had only 30 days to negotiate with him. Hardly fair.

Teams do what is best for the team and players do whats best for the player ... its that simple. Believing anything else is foolish. Take 'the hometown discount' ... the player still ultimately believes its his best option after weighing all his variables.

I just mean why isn't he forced to sign with the team that drafted him if they made a max offer.. I think I get it.. Because he just holds out and waits for 4 years to be up.

I guess anyone could decline a contract they just don't get to play hockey in North America for 4 years

The canucks never drafted burrows but they were the team that ultimately gave him a chance? I'm sure that evokes a sense of loyalty in him and the team didn't even have to invest a draft pick in him, unlike the situation with mike Reilly.

Archived