The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Consensus Feeling around CDC

Gstank29

135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Miller, Bieksa, Sbisa, Vey, Matthias, Dorsett, McMillan.

Players posted above either are a waste of space or are overpaid.

Players that will actually get moved because Trader Jim likes to get his ass kicked in trades.

Hamhuis, Lack, Vrbata, one of Higgins or Hansen.

He will also sign the useless Shawn Matthias, and draft Bittner.

Every Board needs eccentrics, I suppose you're it for CDC. What a quaint discourse in confused thinking.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Beartschi Horvat Vrbata

Higgins FA Hansen (can we teach burrows to play centre??? Lol) otherwise trade burrows

Dorsett FA Kenins

Edler Tanev

Sbisa FA

Stanton? FA

Lack

Markstrom

Trade burrows - we need centres more than wingers... He is a decent asset. Could be smart enough to be a 3c

Trade Hamhuis - might be done... Still an asset tho...

Trade Bonino - too slow

Trade Bieska - done...

Trade Miller - was not a difference maker imho but not the worst problem to keep...

Mattias walks

Richardson walks (but could be an option in the bottom six but lacks size)

Weber walks (not terrible but lacks size and moxy)

Ultimately I think we need to revamp our defense... Edler, Tanev and even Sbisa "try" to make plays. Bieska treats the puck like a hand grenade and Hamhuis looks to have lost his confidence physically and mentally.... Just collapses when pressured.

The only consensus here is that there will be no consensus.

As I see it shaking down next season

Dedin Hedin Burrows

Baertschi Bonino Vrbata

Higgins Horvat Hansen

Dorsett Vey Grenier

Kassian plays 40 odd games in between being a healthy scratch for Baertschi, Grenier and Kenins (who will play 25 odd games.)

Hammer/Tanev

Edler/Bieksa

Sbisa/Corrado

Clendenning

Miller and Markstrom.

I for one cannot wait until that happens. It will be kinda like how we landed Hamhuis, when the Sedins were in their prime and we could realistically win.

2018 pending UFA's on D (year the Sedins current contracts expire).

Zdeno Chara BOS 38 $6,916,667

Toby Enstrom WPG 30 $5,750,000

Matthew Carle TBL 30 $5,500,000

Jason Garrison TBL 30 $4,600,000

Fedor Tyutin CBJ 31 $4,500,000

Jack Johnson CBJ 28 $4,357,142

Marc-Edouard Vlasic SJS 28 $4,250,000

Alexei Emelin MTL 29 $4,100,000

Dennis Seidenberg BOS 33 $4,000,000

Cam Fowler ANA 23 $4,000,000

John Carlson WSH 25 $3,966,666

Josh Gorges BUF 30 $3,900,000

Mark Fayne EDM 28 $3,625,000

Luca Sbisa VAN 25 $3,600,000

Clayton Stoner ANA 30 $3,250,000

Kevin Klein NYR 30 $2,900,000

Mark Stuart WPG 31 $2,625,000

Matt Greene LAK 32 $2,500,000

Nick Holden COL 28 $1,650,000

Mark Borowiecki OTT 25 $1,100,000

Only one I'd think is overly attractive (from a skill set and age perspective) would be Fowler but I'd imagine we'll also have salary space to play with in the preceding and following years as well with the majority of our team on ELC/RFA deals.

Last year we wanted more secondary scoring and grabbed Vrbata, and a couple of extra bodies for the 2nd and 3rd lines, we upgraded our bottom 6 by releasing Sestito adding Dorsett and got lucky with Horvat and Kenins. I think Horvat has to move up into the top 6 and make room for more improvements on the bottom 6. We didn't achieve much with Vey and McMillan they are not ready. I think Grenier and Gaunce are ready for the bottom 6, a couple of our checking forwards need to be moved. the key additions will be scorers, the question being can Bear and/or Shink help us scoring wise? (esp on the PP)

It's basically musical chairs time for Jim Benning and it looks like all the forwards are playing.

(the defense....??)

2018 pending UFA's on D (year the Sedins current contracts expire).

Zdeno Chara BOS 38 $6,916,667

Toby Enstrom WPG 30 $5,750,000

Matthew Carle TBL 30 $5,500,000

Jason Garrison TBL 30 $4,600,000

Fedor Tyutin CBJ 31 $4,500,000

Jack Johnson CBJ 28 $4,357,142

Marc-Edouard Vlasic SJS 28 $4,250,000

Alexei Emelin MTL 29 $4,100,000

Dennis Seidenberg BOS 33 $4,000,000

Cam Fowler ANA 23 $4,000,000

John Carlson WSH 25 $3,966,666

Josh Gorges BUF 30 $3,900,000

Mark Fayne EDM 28 $3,625,000

Luca Sbisa VAN 25 $3,600,000

Clayton Stoner ANA 30 $3,250,000

Kevin Klein NYR 30 $2,900,000

Mark Stuart WPG 31 $2,625,000

Matt Greene LAK 32 $2,500,000

Nick Holden COL 28 $1,650,000

Mark Borowiecki OTT 25 $1,100,000

Only one I'd think is overly attractive (from a skill set and age perspective) would be Fowler but I'd imagine we'll also have salary space to play with in the preceding and following years as well with the majority of our team on ELC/RFA deals.

Those are current ages. In 2018 Chara will be retired, not that he's not already semi-retired, and I'd consider nobody else on that list to ever be franchise-caliber. Such as they are, I'd expect Fowler and Vlasic to be retained.

We're seeing the importance of drafting and developing our own stars now, aren't we? Landing a key prime age UFA is extremely rare and can only happen when a team looks like it has a good shot at winning. Upon Sedin retirement, are we there?

I just bandwagoned Sestito for the frack of it. Everyone knows this. He's nothing more than an enforcer who plays spot minutes on a cheap contract. Thing is, he was always effective at it.

In a serious sense, I guarantee he would have provided more than Vey, Matthias, Dorsett, and McMillan did up front that whole series.

Matthias is worse than Raymond. Vey is not cut out for professional hockey. He does not have the energy level, and mental toughness for it. Dorsett is fine as a player, but he's overpaid and was crap in the playoffs - a time in which a player like him should step up. McMillan is just some weird filler that Willie probably convinced management to sign as depth.

The best coach within this organization, Travis Green, was an avid supporter of Tom Sestito.

Totally agree!

Those are current ages. In 2018 Chara will be retired, not that he's not already semi-retired, and I'd consider nobody else on that list to ever be franchise-caliber. Such as they are, I'd expect Fowler and Vlasic to be retained.

We're seeing the importance of drafting and developing our own stars now, aren't we? Landing a key prime age UFA is extremely rare and can only happen when a team looks like it has a good shot at winning. Upon Sedin retirement, are we there?

I agree with your assessment, except Edler (I don't even think he's 30 yet), Kassian (he was so close, but then he got injured for the season), Miller (you listed him as trade bait and a veteran who should stay), and at least for this year Hansen (we need speed) should all stay. Maybe Burrows too, considering his leadership and work ethic.

However, not everyone you said should be traded, because that would be chaotic.

Right, There will be a lot less change than the OP seems to suggest.

Also, I have to (OK I don't have to but I want to) nitpick about the poll options. Option 3 is "shed dead weight and add younger NHLers". When would anyone NOT want to shed dead weight. Hands up everyone who wants to keep dead weight.

As for adding at least some younger players, I think Benning, Linden, Willie, every reporter who covers the Canucks and every person on CDC has expressed a desire to add at least a couple of good young players next year. And Baertschi and Clendening certainly will be added, along with probably one or two others, maybe Virtanen, maybe Grenier, maybe Corrado. Is there any doubt about this?

As for option 1: blowing up the core. Not sure what this means. The old core players still here include the Sedins, Edler, Hammer, Burrows and Bieksa. (Hansen and Higgins are vets but not really core players). All those core players have no trade clauses. There is no way the Sedins and Edler are going anywhere. It is not feasible (they would not waive their NTCs), it is not desirable (unless the objective is to tank) and Benning has said it is not going to happen. I think the same applies to Burrows and Hammer, although not quite as strongly. There is some chance Bieksa might be asked to go but even that is unlikely. Anyway, I think we can stop including "Blow up core" as a meaningful option.

As for option 2, we have already started rebuilding. Horvat, Virtanen, Markstrom, Baertschi, Clendening, Cassels, McCann, Grenier, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Pedan, etc. give the Canucks a much stronger pipeline than they had at this time last year and vastly stronger than two years ago. Obviously a rebuild has started.

SO it's about 3 weeks from the draft which is about the time trade rumours start popping up. Now we all know that Utica is going to the Calder Cup finals which would indicate that we have a bunch of young players who will be on the cusp of playing for the Canucks in the next 2 or 3 seasons. Personally I feel that the goal next year should be more on developing our future core and shedding excess weight as opposed to making the playoffs. I also believe to do this correctly we need to have a balance of veterans and young players in order for these players to develop into the type of players who know they are going to have to earn every minute of ice time they get. Something that hasn't been thrown around a lot is the idea of dealing off players like Elder who aren't young enough to be a part of the "next core" but are not old enough to be part of the veterans who sails into the sunset with the "old core"

Players I would deem as Veteran who should stay around

Dorsett

Sedins (obviously)

Bieska (yes Bieska, I wonder if he will accept being a 7th defenceman next year)

Miller (good mentor for young goalies)

Hamhuis

Young Core (on the team next year)

Horvat

Virtanen (personally I believe he will be on the team, brings the type of game the Canucks lack)

Baertschi

Corrado (might be expendable)

Clendening

Tanev

Bonino(??)

Kassian(??)

Markstrom(Time will tell)

Sbisa (???)

Kenins (??)

Player who could be Traded

Higgins

Lack

Hansen

Burrows

Vey

Edler (???)

Bonino (???)

Miller

Markstrom

Kassian

Vrbata

Sbisa

Kenins

So IF the right offers(A bit above Market value) come around to we trade some of these players? Keep them? Or maybe try and replace them with younger options who are NHL proven IE Edler for someone in there mid twenties.

Don't know if this is considered a redunant thread.

No way we keep Bieska and Hammer one has to go. I would move Hammer because he brings the most return.

Next years lineup

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Burrows-Santorelli-Virtanen

Dorsett-Richardson-Hansen

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Corrado

Sbisa-Bieksa

Lack Miller

2016-2017

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen

Shinkaruk-Cassels-Burrows

Dorsett-Gaunce-Grenier

Edler-Clendening

Sbisa-Tanev

Hutton-Corrado

You must be on drugs? Bonino will be here 2nd hopefully 3rd line center and Gaunce acn fill out the 4th line center for sure and if were lucky Cassels is ready this year because he's 20 and has his defensive game at an NHL level.We dont need to be waisting money on Santorelli or Richardson.......waist of time.

I agree with your assessment, except Edler (I don't even think he's 30 yet), Kassian (he was so close, but then he got injured for the season), Miller (you listed him as trade bait and a veteran who should stay), and at least for this year Hansen (we need speed) should all stay. Maybe Burrows too, considering his leadership and work ethic.

However, not everyone you said should be traded, because that would be chaotic.

Out of all forward Vets Burrows is the one to keep because he can work up and down the line up, PK and PP. Only thing I would change on D is Hammer out and Clendening in. Hammer will bring us the most return this season for draft and/or trade.

I agree with you, but I don't think it will happen right off the bat. I think we follow a trajectory not close, but similar to our '13-'14 season where we have a hot start then fall off the map. This slippage will probably lead to deadline dealings of Bonino/Vrbata/Vey/Hansen and letting youth fill in the remainder of the year for experience.

I think Virbata and Vet are possible deadline deals. I like Hanson he's speedy and versitile, great on the floorcheck.

I think might be fairer to say that for trades, there may be as many as three or four. It is hard to argue that your list are the only ones given the needs and offers of the other teams (I can just as easily see Kassian being traded).

I think they give Kassian unother limited chance and if he doesnt pan out trade deadline move for him is best.

You must be on drugs? Bonino will be here 2nd hopefully 3rd line center and Gaunce acn fill out the 4th line center for sure and if were lucky Cassels is ready this year because he's 20 and has his defensive game at an NHL level.We dont need to be waisting money on Santorelli or Richardson.......waist of time.

DID I SAY ANYWHERE THAT THEY WILL be traded. NO I DIDN'T, some people need to learn how to read :rolleyes:

Well let's put it this way. We need the Sedins on this team but players like Higgins, burrows, bieksa and maybe miller I would like gone so somewhere in the middle of a blow up and slow rebuild

Sedin-sedin-kassian

Baerschi-horvat-vrbata

Dorsett-Bonino-virtanen

Kenins-santorelli-Hansen

Bubble players:

Gaunce-vey-Jensen

Shinkaruk

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-weber

Sbisa-corrado

Stanton-Clendening

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Beartschi Horvat Vrbata

Higgins FA Hansen (can we teach burrows to play centre??? Lol) otherwise trade burrows

Dorsett FA Kenins

Edler Tanev

Sbisa FA

Stanton? FA

Lack

Markstrom

Trade burrows - we need centres more than wingers... He is a decent asset. Could be smart enough to be a 3c

Trade Hamhuis - might be done... Still an asset tho...

Trade Bonino - too slow

Trade Bieska - done...

Trade Miller - was not a difference maker imho but not the worst problem to keep...

Mattias walks

Richardson walks (but could be an option in the bottom six but lacks size)

Weber walks (not terrible but lacks size and moxy)

Ultimately I think we need to revamp our defense... Edler, Tanev and even Sbisa "try" to make plays. Bieska treats the puck like a hand grenade and Hamhuis looks to have lost his confidence physically and mentally.... Just collapses when pressured.

Bonino is not going anywhere for his salary so he's our 3rd line center for sure. We have centers in Utica and Gaunce is ready for 4th line duty for sure.

DID I SAY ANYWHERE THAT THEY WILL be traded. NO I DIDN'T, some people need to learn how to read :rolleyes:

Well you had Santorelli and Richardson as our 3rd and 4th line centers and Bonino nowhere to be found........So where is he? Must be traded right? I can read fine especially when you Type like your having a bird or something. My idea behind my response was we have 2 or 3 centers in line as well as Bonino who has a great contract so signing anyone like Santorelli or Richardson seems ummmm let me get this right.......stupid dumb ass.

Archived