Canucks Community

[Report] Leafs looking to deal Kessel prior to draft

Nashville seems like a good fit.

To: TO

James Neal

3rd rounder

To: Nash

Fat Phil Kessel and his fat salary.

Trade is lateral. TO would rather keep Kessel of that was the case. I'm sure they want a 1st rounder plus 2 other pieces or something along those lines.

You can't blame the whole situation in Toronto simply on Kessel, especially since it seems the entire team seems to be suffering. In a weird way, you could say he managed to produce in spite of negative circumstances. I'd bet a fresh start in a lower-pressure market and he'd do fine.

He's obviously no fit for the Canucks, but at 27 and a proven scorer he isn't unmovable.

This. Yea it's fun to poke fun at him but honestly speaking, he's one of the most consistent scorers in the league. People say he can't play a 200ft game or he doesn't utilize his teammates enough is a load of crap. He's a scorer and that's what you're getting. He's no Toews or anything and for what he does best, he does it damn good.

Florida and Nashville are 2 teams imo that would be on the top of the list.

Well, enjoy playing the contrarian-monster, so I'll suggest we get him(risking the promised punch, from earlier poster).

Caveat is they take the stupid Miller contract back..only if they'd do that.

Van sends: Miller(retain 1 millsy to dump this lump), Bieksa, Vey, Corrado, McCann, 2016 2nd.

Tor: Kessel, Polak, 2016 3rd.

We'd send about 12 mill in salary, taking back about 11.5 mill(incl 1 mill retention)

After this move, send Vrbata to Mtl/Wash for a 1st.

Well, enjoy playing the contrarian-monster, so I'll suggest we get him(risking the promised punch, from earlier poster).

Caveat is they take the stupid Miller contract back..only if they'd do that.

Van sends: Miller(retain 1 millsy to dump this lump), Bieksa, Vey, Corrado, McCann, 2016 2nd.

Tor: Kessel, Polak, 2016 3rd.

We'd send about 12 mill in salary, taking back about 11.5 mill(incl 1 mill retention)

After this move, send Vrbata to Mtl/Wash for a 1st.

Looks nice but I don't think Toronto bites on that.

Prob because they are too stupid- that's a better return than we got for Kesler

4 young assets a goalie who is arguably an upgrade and while cap hit is high, term is short

Let me break it down for you, buddy.

Bieksa - bottom pairing D man.

Corrado - fringe NHL bottom pairing D man.

Vey - AHLer/13th forward. Could still break out, though.

McCann - the only decent piece in the deal. Has potential to be first line center, but more likely to be a good second line center.

2016 2nd - very low chance of making the NHL.

That's not nearly enough to land Kessel.

I'm far past that point where I hate the Leafs (too old to care anymore) and now just want them to do well, if only for the fact that their fans deserve much, much better.

I'm really, really interested to find out just what they get back in return for Kessel. Will they have to eat some of the contract? Or will they simply dump him, get nothing of note back, just to rid themselves of his poor 200 foot game? I like Babcock enough to not necessarily root for them, but certainly would like them to succeed. If only because I don't want Babcock's wonderful career to be forgotten if he can't turn that team around.

Let me break it down for you, buddy.

Bieksa - bottom pairing D man.

Corrado - fringe NHL bottom pairing D man.

Vey - AHLer/13th forward. Could still break out, though.

McCann - the only decent piece in the deal. Has potential to be first line center, but more likely to be a good second line center.

2016 2nd - very low chance of making the NHL.

That's not nearly enough to land Kessel.

in terms of draft pick value...

Bieksa - 2nd rounder

Corrado - 3rd rounder

Vey - 3rd rounder

McCann - roughly 12th overall

2016 2nd - worth more than a 2015 second (deeper draft)

I wouldn't trade #12 overall, 2 seconds and 2 thirds for an 8 million dollar one dimensional puck hog. Maybe in a league without a salary cap

So much hate for Kessel. This guy is has been one of the best scorers in the league the last 5 years. Sure he is over paid but he’s still a top end talent. The problems the leafs have is that he’s a complimentary piece not the type of guy you build around. He’s a Gaborik type player and if put on the right team that already has their leadership in place, that would let him go out there and do what he does (score a ton of goals) without all that other focus on him.

Kessel (retain 1 Million) + 24th + to NYI for Rienhart + Grabner + Bailey + Ho Sang

Islanders just tried to sign Vanek long term to a big contract and Kessel fills that hole. Islanders have locked up both Leddy and Boychuk long term (7 years), Hamonic is young and provides a ton of upside and he is locked up for the next (5 years). On top of that they have De Haan, Pulock. And Pelech all under the age of 24.

Kessel and Tavares would be the eastern version of Kane and Toews

Then while were on the topic of the leafs

Dion + 2016 3rd to LA for Richards

If Vancouver or any other team is smart they will stay as far away from Kessel as possible. Maybe for the Coyote's 1st rounder?

Now, Toronto eats $2 million of Phaneuf's salary, and trade Bieksa for him? I'd ponder that.

So wouldn't that mean Toronto is paying Bieksa as much as Phaneuf? (retain $2M and pay Bieksa approx. $5M)?

Why not just keep Phaneuf?

in terms of draft pick value...

Bieksa - 2nd rounder

Corrado - 3rd rounder

Vey - 3rd rounder

McCann - roughly 12th overall

2016 2nd - worth more than a 2015 second (deeper draft)

I wouldn't trade #12 overall, 2 seconds and 2 thirds for an 8 million dollar one dimensional puck hog. Maybe in a league without a salary cap

That's not how trading works

Man CDC does not understand the value of players at all, you don't just throw a bunch of mediocre players for a superstar. You want Kessel? Bye-bye to one of Horvat and Virtanen, and if you think it would take anything less, you don't understand player values at all.

Here's one that could work:

Van trades:

Miller

Bieksa

Virtanen

to TO for:

Kessel

Gardiner

Kessel and Miller's contract almost wash out. The goaltending controversery is over and Bieksa is off the books. We get lots of upside in Gardiner and he's an offensive Dman.

They could throw in Riemer and us a 2nd if we want a good back up goalie as Markstrom will never be it.

Archived