The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Leafs looking to deal Kessel prior to draft

That's not how trading works

Man CDC does not understand the value of players at all, you don't just throw a bunch of mediocre players for a superstar. You want Kessel? Bye-bye to one of Horvat and Virtanen, and if you think it would take anything less, you don't understand player values at all.

:picard:

First of all I never proposed the trade. Was just showing what each individual pics worth would be in draft choices. I feel that I was very fair in those assumptions to boot.

In a salary cap world you would be insane to trade away young, cheap, character, 2 way horvat for selfish overpaid one way Kessel.

That's like us trading miller for Vasilevskiy.

You don't understand player values

Here's one that could work:

Van trades:

Miller

Bieksa

Virtanen

to TO for:

Kessel

Gardiner

Kessel and Miller's contract almost wash out. The goaltending controversery is over and Bieksa is off the books. We get lots of upside in Gardiner and he's an offensive Dman.

They could throw in Riemer and us a 2nd if we want a good back up goalie as Markstrom will never be it.

If I wanted an offensive D-man, I much rather go to free agency and try and snag up Franson for basically the same salary cap that Gardiner is at (or more depending on how much he's asking for) or swap Gardiner for Rielly and we add Sbisa to the deal instead of Bieksa

:picard:

First of all I never proposed the trade. Was just showing what each individual pics worth would be in draft choices. I feel that I was very fair in those assumptions to boot.

In a salary cap world you would be insane to trade away young, cheap, character, 2 way horvat for selfish overpaid one way Kessel.

That's like us trading miller for Vasilevskiy.

You don't understand player values

Making a trade that hampers your team =/= understanding player values. When did I say it was a good trade or anything of the sort? I simply stated it would take AT LEAST one of them, if not both, because it would, and any rational fan would understand that. Yes, i agree it would be a terrible decision for where our team is right now, but IF we wanted him, Horvat/Virtanen would definitely be the asking price.

Making a trade that hampers your team =/= understanding player values. When did I say it was a good trade or anything of the sort? I simply stated it would take AT LEAST one of them, if not both, because it would, and any rational fan would understand that. Yes, i agree it would be a terrible decision for where our team is right now, but IF we wanted him, Horvat/Virtanen would definitely be the asking price.

fact of the matter is Kessel makes too much for too long. He has as many years left on his contract as luongo. Remember when Gillis wanted a 1st, a top prospect and a roster player for lu? Leafs expecting the same will be disappointed as well.

Only way they get a prospect like Virtanen would be to retain a huge chunk of salary or take back a horible salary (Mike richards type).

Well I DID make a proposal, & think I know a bit about random player values.

That is not to say my proposal is perfect; & for both sides it'd be kosher. From my POV, it's simply the highest cost I'd accept the Nucks parting with.

Comparatively speaking, this guy can certainly finish..but he sure has his warts.

Very few things more entertaining than a Kessel trade thread.

Most of you are forgetting he holds a NMC, LNTC - which reportedly empowers him to limit the list of potential destinations to 8.

So you can forget about your Carolina, etc proposals.

His term, combined with his cap hit, combined with the limited trade options, combined with his horrible conditioining, reputation as uncoachable, etc put his value at considerably less imo than some of the loopy proposals out there.

Most of you are forgetting he holds a NMC, LNTC - which reportedly empowers him to limit the list of potential destinations to 8.

His term, combined with his cap hit, combined with the limited trade options, combined with his horrible conditioining, reputation as uncoachable, etc put his value at considerably less imo than some of the loopy proposals out there.

I dont know...given his tendency to completely disregard off season training, his list of priority locations might not be what people would expect. He doesn't seem like the type to put a team/system first, like what would be required from most contending teams.

Rather, his lack of commitment might work out in the Leafs favor, as far as a destination vs return goes. He might choose to limit those destinations according to how many Hot Dog eating contest the city/state/province has per year. So I wouldn't totally rule out a bottom dwelling team like Carolina so soon, unless they did something stupid, like outlawed ice cream or something.

I dont know...given his tendency to completely disregard off season training, his list of priority locations might not be what people would expect. He doesn't seem like the type to put a team/system first, like what would be required from most contending teams.

Rather, his lack of commitment might work out in the Leafs favor, as far as a destination vs return goes. He might choose to limit those destinations according to how many Hot Dog eating contest the city/state/province has per year. So I wouldn't totally rule out a bottom dwelling team like Carolina so soon, unless they did something stupid, like outlawed ice cream or something.

::D

I hate to call people out, but this is what senpai doesn't get.. it reaches back to the other thread with Malkin rumours. Trading doesn't happen in a bubble or a vacuum, and often times non hockey/player related factors heavily dictate a situation.

I doubt they'll be able to move Kessel, and certainly not for a good return or without retaining salary. One team that could handle his cap hit, though, would be Anaheim. He wouldn't be the main guy there and would just have to score. Doubt it happens but it might put them over the top until his cap hit would stop them from re-signing their good young players.

I doubt they'll be able to move Kessel, and certainly not for a good return or without retaining salary. One team that could handle his cap hit, though, would be Anaheim. He wouldn't be the main guy there and would just have to score. Doubt it happens but it might put them over the top until his cap hit would stop them from re-signing their good young players.

A depressed Kessel on a losing team does not build a winning team.

A happy Kessel on a winning team is DEADLY.

I think this will be a luongo saga. A player with a bad contract that the team wants a ton for but nobody wants to pay it. In the end I'm guessing they will get a Kesler type return. A 1st, a good roster player and a young player with upside. Not the top 10 pick + blue chip prospect + roster player that TO and their fans want.

Archived