The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

fake smile. That's the smile you make when you're sick of the photographer telling you to smile

Fake smile, you can tell by his eyes. But everyone does a fake smile when taking pictures. I believe he'll be a Canuck one day. He seems very reserved and some are taking it the wrong way. He doesn't need to jump for joy grinning like an idiot to be excited to be a Canuck.

Fake smile, you can tell by his eyes. But everyone does a fake smile when taking pictures. I believe he'll be a Canuck one day. He seems very reserved and some are taking it the wrong way. He doesn't need to jump for joy grinning like an idiot to be excited to be a Canuck.

Yeah, that's what shinkaruk is for!

Kid seems more Canadian than American! The more I look into the pick the happier I am with it.

Thank you for this. You are right, NBC is better. I guess you know something has gone seriously wrong when Canadians start to prefer NBC when it comes to hockey coverage.

You're welcome, thanks for checking it out.

Yeah, it's pretty crazy... But at the same time, I think we all saw this coming the day Sportsnet got the rights to the draft. Say what you want about the TSN personalities but they are far, far better than anyone on SNET. Production-wise, analysis-wise, story-telling with regards to kids' backgrounds, etc.

Millard - I don't necessarily "dislike" him but he was having trouble speaking during the draft -- a bit of an issue for a broadcaster. His speech just didn't flow naturally. Just listen to him try to tell the back-story for Brock Boeser.

Cosentino - His main job is to be a subpar junior hockey colour commentator. He's not garbage but I don't think he's good. He does less analyzing during his games and more talking about how great a kid is, as well as other things not entirely relevant to the plays during the game. I'd say he's the "most qualified" to talk about the draft prospects because he actually watches a handful of these kids... but that doesn't mean much considering his team.

Cox - Here's the thing about Cox. I thought his rankings were actually pretty decent -- and maybe that's just the result of having super low expectations going in. People have opinions on the guy's opinions but at least it gave the impression that he had done his homework. That being said, he's not a scout or a talent-evaluator with any sort of legitimate credibility so, like Cosentino, nothing he says sounds super-informed. Cox does a lot of hockey-related stuff but he is still a multi-sports writer. I don't mean to discriminate, but I think we'd all prefer to hear from someone who is invested into hockey 110% -- McKenzie, Button, and McGuire are all HOCKEY people.

Johnson - I think he's a subpar-to-okay colour guy but, man, he was out of place during the broadcast. It was clear as day that he didn't know much about the prospects. He never sounded really sure of himself when giving the scouting report or projections for the players. Say what you will about Craig Button, at least the guy talks with a ton of passion and conviction.

From a general broadcast point of view, I thought their cameras were sometimes really, really bad. The Jake DeBrusk one in particular was absolutely dreadful. They had a bright light shining straight into the camera and they stayed on that shot for a relatively lengthy amount of time.

The problem with the 'model' (and I use it loosely) is the scarcity of data that goes into it. League, scoring rate, and general draft range I believe are the 3 things they use. Doesn't take into account deployment, PP time, team quality, QoC, minutes per game, role, height/frame, hard skills (skating, hands, passing) or soft skills (work ethic, coachability, attitude). It excludes so many things that are critical to a 17 year old becoming either AHL fodder or an NHL All-Star that it isn't any better than looking at a player's boxcar stats to project them.

As I said, I don't mind it as a starting point for analysing a player, but it has to go further than just scoring rates and league.

Seems to me this PCS has come about out of the "monkey picks" that was done on the Canucks draft history, wherein they simply picked the players with the best scoring stats.

His facial expression are determining whether he will be a Superstar or a Bust : :D :rolleyes:

I don't want to stir things up, but i thought it was the "M" on his stick for Minnesota... OMG CDC he's gonna leave us cause the "M" on his stick stands for " As soon as i can I'm leaving for Minnesota". :picard:

The kid is humble and puts others first CHILL

It's interesting but also important to keep the question about context in mind. He is speaking about it in relation to why he chose the NCAA route instead of the CHL route. The discussion wasn't around his timeline for the NHL. The thing about degrees is you can finish them any time, including after (or during) your pro career. Seems that at least STARTING a degree is an important part of Boeser's choice in development path. It remains to be seen if COMPLETING said degree is important enough to keep him from the lure of a lucrative pro career.

It is not clearly one way or the other from that quote.

I was going to say this but you beat me too it. It's not uncommon for NHL players to get their degree later on during their career. Players know, everyone has an expiration date. But nobody seems to know when it is. If you have a 15 year career, that is seen as FANTASTIC. Sure you can make a lot of money, but as we all know, when you live life like a celebrity, you can blow through it quickly. Not many players would say no to playing in the NHL and thousands, if not millions of dollars. If he's ready in 2 years, and Jim Benning gives him a call, I'm confident he will come to the NHL and play. No reason you can't make your money, play in the NHL, and get your degree at the same time. It may take many many more years, but he's in no hurry. He needs to focus on hockey.

I don't want to stir things up, but i thought it was the "M" on his stick for Minnesota... OMG CDC he's gonna leave us cause the "M" on his stick stands for " As soon as i can I'm leaving for Minnesota". :picard:

The kid is humble and puts others first CHILL

Imagine if he was a Canadian who had turned down the maple leaf to stick with his teammates...

We'd be heralding him as a future captain and not picking apart insignificant details to convince ourselves he'll never play for us.

I was going to say this but you beat me too it. It's not uncommon for NHL players to get their degree later on during their career. Players know, everyone has an expiration date. But nobody seems to know when it is. If you have a 15 year career, that is seen as FANTASTIC. Sure you can make a lot of money, but as we all know, when you live life like a celebrity, you can blow through it quickly. Not many players would say no to playing in the NHL and thousands, if not millions of dollars. If he's ready in 2 years, and Jim Benning gives him a call, I'm confident he will come to the NHL and play. No reason you can't make your money, play in the NHL, and get your degree at the same time. It may take many many more years, but he's in no hurry. He needs to focus on hockey.

Exactly. The only reason he *should* stay the full 4 years is if he doesn't develop and the Canucks don't offer him a contract. In which case, well it's not a problem anymore.

Honestly sacrificing millions of dollars in earnings to complete a bachelors degree first is quite ... stupid. A degree can be obtained at any time, an NHL career cannot.

• Upvote 1