The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

8 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Is he even eligible, or would it be the same situation as Virtanen and McCann this year? 

Yes, he'd be eligible.  The agreement that kept the AHL from being an option for Virtanen and McCann this year is between the Canadian Hockey League (ie major junior) and the NHL.  It doesn't apply to players if they aren't drafted from the QMJHL, OHL or WHL.

Edited by tyhee

33 minutes ago, J.R. said:

:rolleyes:

There's advantages to either route. 

College players get a LOT more time in the gym, with trainers and skills practice. That generally translates to more size, strength and skills. All while getting an education (which also has its advantages). 

AHL players adjust more to a pro schedule.

Mirrors my thinking. 

I think of the best parts of Hutton's game is his resilience, and when asked about it, he says it was taught to him by his college coach who got him to read more about great leaders. I think there's tremendous value in education. And that doesn't consider the fact he's emerging from a proven system (Parise, Toews), so I'm comfortable with him playing there. 

That said, I'd like to see what he can do in the AHL. There are more NHL calibre goalies there, so that aspect of testing might be useful for Boeser. 

1 hour ago, Gooseberries said:

Proof?  This isn't ncaa football. And what does Jr have to do with anything.  I said ahl. The sooner he learns pro hockey the better.

The sooner the better is not true. The odd time it is , but often it's not. 

Proof ?

TJ Oshi - three years North Dakota 

Matt Green- three years North Dakota 

Drew Stafford- three years North Dakota 

Jonathan Toews-two years North Dakota 

Zack parise- two years North Dakota 

Brock Nelson- two years North Dakota 

Travis Zajac- two years North Dakota 

and this is just a quick glance at North Dakota alumni now playing in the NHL. Not one of them spent less then two seasons in the NCAA playing for the exact same team as boeser. Even Canucks alumni Dixon ward and Gary vaulk that played for North Dakota both spent more then two seasons in NCAA never mind one ,Dixon playing 4 and Gary 3)

Are u saying if all the teams responsible for these players had rushed their development and sent them to the AHL after one year they would be better off ? I think I'll disagree and suggest those GM s , and our GM are a little more aware of the proper timeframe then u are. And judging by North Dakota alumni history , I'd say ur post is dead wrong 

Edited by cuporbust
  • Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Proof ?

and this is just a quick glance at North Dakota alumni now playing in the NHL. Not one of them spent less then two seasons in the NCAA playing for the exact same team as boeser. Even Canucks alumni Dixon ward and Gary vaulk that played for North Dakota both spent more then two seasons in NCAA

Are u saying if all the teams responsible for these players had rushed their development and sent them to the AHL after one year they would be better off ? I think I'll disagree and suggest those GM s , and our GM are a little more aware of the proper timeframe then u are. And judging by North Dakota alumni history , I'd say ur post is dead wrong 

My only observation would be that those players were all developed under a different coaching staff. There are no absolutes either way. Players develop at their own speed ... I don't think there's one ironclad model that can be followed any more. Kids are so committed to training, nutrition, etc at an early age now. Their bodies are more ready than every. It's really whether or not they are mentally prepared and mentally tough enough to withstand the inevitable early challenges. 

Proof?  This isn't ncaa football. And what does Jr have to do with anything.  I said ahl. The sooner he learns pro hockey the better.

Just take a look at North Dakota history. Even just that one school , how many guys u see spent less then two years there that are successful ? Not one. What does that tell you? U say it's not an absolute , but boeser is that one guy out of all those players that our coach and GM should rush to the AHL? Seriously ? What is every coach and GM an idiot and u have the antidote ? Seems like the guys I mentioned developed just fine in the NCAA with multiple years, and if worked for guys like toews Oshi and parise why would anyone rush to get brock out of there.

The game has changed so much that we should erase what has worked for almost every successful player coming out of the NCAA? I don't follow 

Edited by cuporbust
  • Upvote 2

There was an article in the Hockey News a couple of years ago...Can't find link for it online (read it in the coffee room at work) that said college players in the NCAA get a lightened schedule but this just gives them more time to develop physically and mentally and to take advantage of all of the great facilities and trainers that all NCAA programs offer their athletes.

Even the small college I went to had an epic gym.  Education is a GOOD thing.  There's still time Goose.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, NEON.KNEE said:

There was an article in the Hockey News a couple of years ago...Can't find link for it online (read it in the coffee room at work) that said college players in the NCAA get a lightened schedule but this just gives them more time to develop physically and mentally and to take advantage of all of the great facilities and trainers that all NCAA programs offer their athletes.

Even the small college I went to had an epic gym.  Education is a GOOD thing.  There's still time Goose.

The light schedule also allows them healing time which is absolutely vital to a teenager trying to build up strength and conditioning in the gym.

Not to mention the education....

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Proof ?

and this is just a quick glance at North Dakota alumni now playing in the NHL. Not one of them spent less then two seasons in the NCAA playing for the exact same team as boeser. Even Canucks alumni Dixon ward and Gary vaulk that played for North Dakota both spent more then two seasons in NCAA never mind one ,Dixon playing 4 and Gary 3)

I could easily list players that have succeeded leaving the ncaa after one season for the ahl.

Ryan Kesler

Phil kessel

Nick leddy

Jacob trouba

Kyle Turrris

Erik Johnson

Note* couple of the players yout have listed (toews). Only played in the ncaa until their draft +1 year. Like I want Boeser to do. It's more so having to do with getting him into our system than getting him out of the NCAA.  I'm not saying he's going to never make the show if he played 3 yrs ncaa. I just think it's better for his hockey career  and us if he plays in our system and signs with us sooner. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, theminister said:

The light schedule also allows them healing time which is absolutely vital to a teenager trying to build up strength and conditioning in the gym.

Not to mention the education....

ANd I would say that it is quite evident from the build of the players coming out of the NCAA.  They tend to be a little more broad shouldered and solid.  A long schedule takes its toll on your body.  Most NHL'ers have slim, albeit muscular athletic builds.  The cardio demanded by the NHL game is unreal.  Just watch any interview with Kassian in between periods.  Buddy looks like he's going to have a heart attack.

1 minute ago, Gooseberries said:

I could easily list players that have succeeded leaving the ncaa after one season for the ahl.

Ryan Kesler

Phil kessel

Nick leddy

Jacob trouba

Kyle Turrris

Erik Johnson

Note* couple of the players yout have listed (toews). Only played in the ncaa until their draft +1 year. Like I want Boeser to do. It's more so having to do with getting him into our system than getting him out of the NCAA.  I'm not saying he's going to never make the show if he played 3 yrs ncaa. I just think it's better for his hockey career  and us if he plays in our system and signs with us sooner. 

Plus the sooner he's signed with us the better.  There is that CBA loop hole dangling.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Plus the sooner he's signed with us the better.  There is that CBA loop hole dangling.

In all honesty that loop hole is of little concern to me.  GMJB looks at all aspects of player before drafting, with character being at the top of the list.  Alot of CDC'ers were throwing that argument around before Hutton signed.  People (especially around here) just need something to talk about.  I don't know of and can't find any other players other than Shcultz that have pulled this class-less move, and look at Schultz, he has about as much heart and character as a Disney Chanel Pop princess.

• Upvote 3

On January 30, 2016 at 11:36 AM, Gooseberries said:

And most of those guys struggled allot in the first couple years and probably could have benefited from another year or so in college imo. Turris didn't exactly burst onto the scene for example. He's actually a good example of a guy that was rushed. Leddy same thing. Kesler , well most of us remember how painful his development was to watch at times, and lots painted him as a bust early on because of it. Thankfully he managed to come around. Ur examples actually drive my point through even further. Look at a guy like Oshi. They took their time with him, and when he finally went pro, he stuck at the NHL level and sure as hell made a bigger impact in his career then a guy like turis bouncing around from AHL to NHL (with very little success).  Especially early on 

using a guy like Kyle Turris as an example of development success was probably not a good idea. 

Edited by cuporbust
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, tyhee said:

Yes, he'd be eligible.  The agreement that kept the AHL from being an option for Virtanen and McCann this year is between the Canadian Hockey League (ie major junior) and the NHL.  It doesn't apply to players if they aren't drafted from the QMJHL, OHL or WHL.

I presume that applies if you have signed a CHL contract, not just the act of them drafting you?

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Somebody please qualify; that loophole is that if he plays 4 years college after being drafted, he can make a declaration and become UFA? 

9 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I presume that applies if you have signed a CHL contract, not just the act of them drafting you?

It's strictly only applies if you were  selected out of the CHL.  If you were drafted elsewhere then sign with a chl team the rule doesn't apply to you. So at the time if you didn't play in the CHL no the rule would not apply to that player.

Edited by Gooseberries
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Somebody please qualify; that loophole is that if he plays 4 years college after being drafted, he can make a declaration and become UFA? 

That's it.  PluS the league was aware before the new CBA, and still wasn't closed.

^^ Uh, no we won't. He can finish his schooling with his scholarship and pay for anything he doesn't finish when he goes pro and makes more money than most fans.

37 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

If you play in the CHL the year you're drafted you're held to the agreement. If you start playing in the CHL after you've been drafted you aren't held to the agreement (i.e. Zhukenov).

Edited by elvis15
  • Upvote 1