The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

25 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Yeah, I'm sure he doesn't want to start thinking about collecting an NHL paycheque starting next week, making more money every week than many people make in a year. And getting a signing bonus big enough to buy a cheap home or a really nice car. I imagine he wants to savour the loss for a while. Lol.

Also, his father had some health problems which the family could really use some money, or at least for Brock to become completely self-supporting (NCAA scholarships don't pay much). It was something of a sacrifice even for Brock to stay in college for a second year, even though that was clearly the right move for Brock in terms of getting an education as well as for his development as a player. But I don't think there is much doubt Brock will sign with the Canucks before next season and the sooner he signs, the sooner he gets his signing bonus.

I know a lot of fans are impatient to see him play for the Canucks (and Benning probably is also), but I still think it is a bad idea -- wrist problems, being in a losing environment, not being physically ready for the NHL, big mental adjustment, and burning off a year of his ELC. (I know several posters have said they don't care about losing a  year of his ELC. I believe them. They don't care. But that is the kind of thing that GMs like Dean Lombardi and Stan Bowman (you knows, guys who have won multiple Stanley Cups) do care about.

• Upvote 1

First - he's not signing a PTO contract w Utica folks - good way to piss the kid off right out of the gate

Second - tomorrow's game is in Minnesota - where better for the kid to get to play his first NHL game? At home in front of friends and family-given the 'type of person' he is, assuming he can get there in time, I am sure he will appreciate the effort by the Canucks

Third - yes would be great to get his feet wet in Utica but we have alot of injuries, he's 20/21 now so big enough to handle himself, has just been in very intense competition so he's very capable of handling the pace

Fourth - playing the few remaining games we have left lets the Nucks see if he's ready, let's him know what he has to work on in the offseason, and gets fans excited (its a win win for all involved). If he's not ready next camp he goes down to Utica 

Fifth - this is the equivalent of the 10 games or whatever Junior players would have in their first year out of the draft so let it be....its good and I haven't seen a kid n a Nuck jersey with those type of silky mitts since Naslund, so it will sure as hell get me watching and I am sure many many more fans!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jam126 said:

How was Brock in this game?

I would say he was definitely the most dangerous and creative forward on the ice. It was overtly noticeable that he gave the most effort when the puck was on his stick and he wanted that puck. He had slick evasive maneuvers and could dangle past two guys to give himself a better scoring opportunity. However, it was also noticeable that he was floating when it wasn't on his stick - although he did back checked when it mattered. His skating seemed slower than a lot of players on the ice, but this could of been a lack in conditioning because he wasn't always consistently skating hard, especially in board battles and puck chases. He looked visibly out of gas in overtime - even compared to a lot of players. If he was always on the go at full tilt then I think he would appear to be a faster player. In those regards, in my opinion, he does not seem like he is NHL ready and will have to work hard to get to that level. It will be an eye opening experience for him to play some time in the NHL or the AHL, but I think he needs to start somewhere this year so he knows where he needs to get to. Overall, he kind of reminds of me of Markus Naslund. 

Edited by HomeBrew

I know it won't happen, but he should go to Utica. He can get into meaningful games w/ a team playing great hockey right now, & developing chemistry w\ guys like Demko and Virtanen. 

They should be keeping him away from the losing right now w/ the big club. But he obviously wants 1st yr salary/bonus over ATO money.

. But Kunin (MIN) and Thompson (STL) have recently signed their ELC but agreed to ATOs w/ their AHL teams for the rest of the season, & Werenski had great success with going that route last season. 

I realy do wanna see the kid suit up for the Canucks, but I wanna see him make his debut next yr.  

The only drawback of him going to Utica would be him stepping on someone else's toes by taking a roster spot from a guy who has been helping Utica climb back into the playoff picture. New kid that just gets to step in and take a spot might rub some people the wrong way. 

It's the Canucks fault if the burning of that 1st yr of his ELC comes back to haunt them cap-wise down the road, but hey, in a terrible year, making our best prospect happy by getting rich quickly, and us as fans getting to finally see Boeser in Canuck blue and white is pretty exciting. 

Edited by DinoTambo
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

Was just gonna post this. The kid certainly plays like a goal scorer. He's a heckuva sniper and seems to have some creativity too. Even his playmaking is smooth sometimes. I'd still peg him as more of a sniper, but he can set 'em up too.

34 minutes ago, DinoTambo said:

I know it won't happen, but he should go to Utica. He can get into meaningful games w/ a team playing great hockey right now, & developing chemistry w\ guys like Demko and Virtanen. 

They should be keeping him away from the losing right now w/ the big club. But he obviously wants 1st yr salary/bonus over ATO money.

. But Kunin (MIN) and Thompson (STL) have recently signed their ELC but agreed to ATOs w/ their AHL teams for the rest of the season, & Werenski had great success with going that route last season. 

I realy do wanna see the kid suit up for the Canucks, but I wanna see him make his debut next yr.  

The only drawback of him going to Utica would be him stepping on someone else's toes by taking a roster spot from a guy who has been helping Utica climb back into the playoff picture. New kid that just gets to step in and take a spot might rub some people the wrong way. 

It's the Canucks fault if the burning of that 1st yr of his ELC comes back to haunt them cap-wise down the road, but hey, in a terrible year, making our best prospect happy by getting rich quickly, and us as fans getting to finally see Boeser in Canuck blue and white is pretty exciting. 

I fully agree. I'd love him to go to Utica. It would be a much gentler step and if he's actually able to impress right away, it might help Utica make the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

Was just gonna post this. The kid certainly plays like a goal scorer. He's a heckuva sniper and seems to have some creativity too. Even his playmaking is smooth sometimes. I'd still peg him as more of a sniper, but he can set 'em up too.

BoeserFever is going strong!  good tidings my friends.  :D 

I wonder what number he will select?

6 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Wait, what?  Brock Boeser is going to be in our lineup tomorrow?

happy excited wow omg celebration GIF

greatest gif response ever LOL!

if not tmrw vs his home town team.  hopefully Sunday latest vs the peg.  please hockey gods be this weekend!  

7 hours ago, DinoTambo said:

NHL GMs need to plan a few years ahead with every decision that they make.  Getting these college draft choices to sign an AHL ATO when their college season ends benefits both the player's development and is in the best interest of the NHL team.  Burning a year of the ELC is something that the NHL team will regret down the road when managing the salary cap.  Most college players are taking the AHL first route and Benning should be trying to convince Brock that this is in his best interest.  I know everyone wants to get Boeser signed but he is only a sophomore and the urgency is not that great right now.

6 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Why do people keep saying this. Willie has actually been a good developmental coach. Making young players earn their ice time through proper defensive play is a good thing.

It is also the exact same thing that Green does in Utica.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

NHL GMs need to plan a few years ahead with every decision that they make.  Getting these college draft choices to sign an AHL ATO when their college season ends benefits both the player's development and is in the best interest of the NHL team.  Burning a year of the ELC is something that the NHL team will regret down the road when managing the salary cap.  Most college players are taking the AHL first route and Benning should be trying to convince Brock that this is in his best interest.  I know everyone wants to get Boeser signed but he is only a sophomore and the urgency is not that great right now.

Agreed. It is so rare that a young player truly is NHL ready coming out of Juniors or College (unless they spend the full 4 years in College) that it is close to pointless to bring a guy up to the NHL too soon. Sure it may be good for a guy to get a taste for truly how fast and hard it is to play in the NHL going into the offseason but the AHL is fast and hard enough that a guy would get a good understanding as well.

To my elementary scouting eyes Brock still has a few major flaws in his game to work on before being an NHL pro anyhow. While being good on his skates his top end speed is average and his first few steps are pretty slow, plus he floats a lot out there. He's going to need to up the tempo of his game if he's going to want coaches to trust him. I don't think he's in Ovechkin talent level territory where he can float around and get away with it cause he scores 50 goals a year. That would be amazing but I don't see it. These things that can be improved but I don't think he's going to have much of an impact in the NHL until his skating gets better and he ups his tempo, the AHL would be perfect for a season for him.

14 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

I imagine you're right that JB is trying to get Brock to sign an ATO. Most likely that would be better in the long run for the Canucks than burning a year off his ELC, and certainly the Comets need him more this year than the Canucks do.

And I'm sure that your opinion has nothing to do with you wanting to see Brock in a Comets uniform just as much as many of us want to see him in a Canucks uniform. Lol.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Yeah, I'm sure he doesn't want to start thinking about collecting an NHL paycheque starting next week, making more money every week than many people make in a year. And getting a signing bonus big enough to buy a cheap home or a really nice car. I imagine he wants to savour the loss for a while. Lol.

Oh I'm sure he does! It's not about "savouring the loss" , but more about letting it sink in. He's still saying goodbye to the program, to his teammates, and his coaches. Money's great, but it shouldn't be the end all, be all. If he's doing it purely for the money, he won't be around for a long time. Kills the passion.

8 hours ago, DinoTambo said:

I would agree with you if it was not this close to the end of the season, for a number of reasons:

1) He needs to see and feel the NHL game to appreciate how hard he needs to play, the speed of the game and what kind of conditioning NHL players commit to.  The level of hockey being played is great right now nearing the playoffs.  He will get a real taste and see what he needs to do in the summer to make the team.

2) He will get a chance to see how professionals conduct themselves, even when the games don't count.  How to be a pro.

3) He can bond and make friends and connections and see how the other young guys train.

4) If Utica makes the playoffs he can join them in a run after the NHL season is over - its a win / win scenario.

5) If he is sent straight to Utica and they don't make the playoffs (and he doesn't happen to perform well) his first taste of pro hockey won't be a positive one.  He also misses out on seeing what the NHL is like until next year and won't get to spend any time with his future team mates. 

Give him a taste of the show, get him hungry and maybe a bit humbled.  I think its a good investment - Just my two bits.

Edited by Borvat