The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

5 minutes ago, Borvat said:

I would agree with you if it was not this close to the end of the season, for a number of reasons:

1) He needs to see and feel the speed of the NHL game to appreciate how hard he needs to play, the speed of the game and what kind of conditioning NHL players commit to.  The level of hockey being played is great right now nearing the playoffs.  He will get a real taste and see what he needs to do in the summer to make the team.

2) He will get a chance to see how professionals conduct themselves, even when the games don't count.  How to be a pro.

3) He can bond and make friends and connections and see how the other young guys train.

4) If Utica makes the playoffs he can join them in a run after the NHL season is over - its a win / win scenario.

5) If he is sent straight to Utica and they don't make the playoffs (and he doesn't happen to perform well) his first taste of pro hockey won't be a positive one and he misses out on seeing what the NHL is like until next year and won'r get to spend any time with his future team mates. 

Give him a taste of the show, get him hungry and maybe a bit humbled.  I think its a good investment - Just my two bits.

He can't go to Utica 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Camel Toe Drag said:

He can't next season? 

Yes he can next season but for this year he cannot.  Any player that signs an ELC after the trade deadline cannot play in the AHL at all this season.  No different than any other NHL player that wasn't papered down to the AHL on TDL day. He would have to sign an ELC starting in July and an ATO with the Comets for this year.

Plus he gets to free agency a year early and everyone happy about the signing now will be questioning it a couple years down the road.

• Upvote 2

I was hoping he would go to Utica. Who knows what dynamics are at play. Utica would have given him more games to his season and in a better environment with a playoff team. He would have been playing with half a dozen potential future Canuck team mates. If his wrist has any questions around it then 9 NHL games can be closely watched and sheltered.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I was hoping he would go to Utica. Who knows what dynamics are at play. Utica would have given him more games to his season and in a better environment with a playoff team. He would have been playing with half a dozen potential future Canuck team mates. If his wrist has any questions around it then 9 NHL games can be closely watched and sheltered.

As previously explained , he cant. 

If I understand this correctly, by signing and playing this year which knocks a year off of his ELC, it will possibly mean that he will really have only 2 years of full experience, instead of 3. He may not have peaked after only 2, and may be less expensive to sign long term. Just a thought, one I've seen earlier.

Either way...though I don't think he's going to be a "saviour" type player, I do think he will become a fairly steady goal scorer, one that will deflect pressure away  from Horvat & Baer, and may the team a better overall threat.

Great signing!

31 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

I wish more people understood this.

I believe there are ways around this.   Most popular being conditioning stint.   I don't know he would be aloud to play in the playoffs though.