The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Dude, if either of them slump, run in to consistency issues etc and are being either benched, reduced minutes or sat in the press box for any length of time (which is quite likely for two kids), they'd be far  better off spending a few weeks in Utica getting big minutes and regaining confidence. Don't be shocked if it happens to either or both of them.

If they do slump at some point, which they obviously will, I would personally much rather they not have to worry about the possibility of being sent down immediately. Sure, if it gets bad enough, like to the point that they look lost every shift, then sending them down may of course be necessary, but we have to grant them somewhat of a leash and give them the opportunity to work through the hard times. 

Having them constantly on pins and needles certainly won't do them any favors.

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If they do slump at some point, which they obviously will, I would personally much rather they not have to worry about the possibility of being sent down immediately. Sure, if it gets bad enough, like to the point that they look lost every shift, then sending them down may of course be necessary, but we have to grant them somewhat of a leash and give them the opportunity to work through the hard times. 

Nobody's saying to assign them after a bad shift or two. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Nobody's saying to assign them after a bad shift or two. 

Maybe not, but the shift in tone after the last game certainly gives me cause for concern, especially after what they were able to do in the previous handful of games.

If people are willing to shift their tone that much after just one game....

23 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Dude, if either of them slump, run in to consistency issues etc and are being either benched, reduced minutes or sat in the press box for any length of time (which is quite likely for two kids), they'd be far  better off spending a few weeks in Utica getting big minutes and regaining confidence. Don't be shocked if it happens to either or both of them.

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

They will obviously be given some grace, probably 3 bad games in a row would result in a demotion. That would bring up Goldobin or Rodin. I understand where you are coming from but the other argument is now the Canucks players have a NEED to elevate their game as there is a ton of pushback from the Comets players.

Edited by Where'd Luongo?

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Maybe not, but the shift in tone after the last game certainly gives me cause for concern, especially after what they were able to do in the previous handful of games.

If people are willing to shift their tone that much after just one game....

They looked like VERY good prospects against other prospects and NHL depth players. They looked human against full fledged NHL'ers. 

Some of us were well aware of that context even when some of CDC was doing back flips and talking Calder trophy (which is certainly still a possibility).

They're both good, talented kids. But they're also kids. They look good in that context and I'm happy they've made the team and they'll hopefully have solid years. A temporary demotion to Utica would not be a death sentence or major indictment. Once again, they're kids, I expect they'll struggle at some point and that's ok if they do.

Edited by J.R.

Boeser's gaining a lot of credit amongst TSN and even NHL.com lately which is a rarity for any Canuck. He showed us in the preseason that he belongs but I still think you need to take it day by day with rookies. Consistency will be key over the entire season for Brock. We know he can score in short spurts but how will his production and defence hold up over 82 games?

Depending on how he goes, I'd be happy to see Green cycle him in and out of the lineup over the course of the season with some of our veterans who will also get fatigued (in particular, Eriksson and Vanek).

Predicting a 24 goal season for Brock in about 60-70 games.

Ideally Boeser needs a playmaker and a physical two-way player who can play a gritty game and create space for him. That's the deadly trio in terms of chemistry on most successful lines: Playmaker, Shooter and Grinder.

Playmakers: Baertschi, Gagner, Sedins, Burmistrov, Vanek

Grinders: Horvat, Sutter, Dorsett, Virtanen

Naturally, a line of Baertschi, Horvat and Boeser works, and I think we'll see that to start the season. But as the season wears on and lines change, I wouldn't mind seeing Boeser play a bit with say Sutter and Vanek/Gagner. Virtanen, Gagner and Boeser could be an interesting mix too.

4 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Boeser's gaining a lot of credit amongst TSN and even NHL.com lately which is a rarity for any Canuck. He showed us in the preseason that he belongs but I still think you need to take it day by day with rookies. Consistency will be key over the entire season for Brock. We know he can score in short spurts but how will his production and defence hold up over 82 games?

Depending on how he goes, I'd be happy to see Green cycle him in and out of the lineup over the course of the season with some of our veterans who will also get fatigued (in particular, Eriksson and Vanek).

Predicting a 24 goal season for Brock in about 60-70 games.

I'll be pretty happy with 15-20 goals and +/- 35 points pace for his rookie year. Anything over that is pure, sweet gravy.

People need to temper their expectations IMO.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I'll be pretty happy with 15-20 goals and +/- 35 points pace for his rookie year. Anything over that is pure, sweet gravy.

People need to temper their expectations IMO.

o.k.   how about 10 goals and 15 points. Feel better? :P

49 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Wut?  Did the Canucks re-acquire Jared McCann?  I mean, if Boeser produced McCann-like numbers as a rookie, I would be sort of sad.

Yeah. While expectations should be somewhat tempered, it's not unfair to have SOME expectations.

I'm guessing around 35-40 points if he plays in most of the games this season.

Boeser needs to be in a position to succeed which includes powerplay time and guys who can get him the puck. I'm fine with him sitting here and there if he's not going to get that for a game. 

Edited by Derp...
  • Upvote 1

Got a feeling Green wants to be playing a very physical, grinding style of game against Edmonton, and save the offence, skill and scoring for teams closer to us in the skill department. 

I think when we go up against teams that are far more skilled and faster than us, Green will try and play an entirely different style of play, and we're going to see that on opening night. Yes, we need skill and scorers, and I'd rather have Boeser in than some others, but Virtanen gives us a physical edge and I've got a feeling Green is going to get our guys to goon up the Oilers. Don't want Brock to be a part of that mess.

Also Boeser hasn't played much for Green yet, he's new to him and Boeser is new to the league. Have to assume Green wants to get to know Boeser first and see what position he fits into best. Virtanen looked more NHL ready to me then Boeser did this preseason and honestly I would have been fine if Boeser started in Utica to get accustomed to the pro leagues. Heres hoping he gets a lot of games in and a lot of time or else it might of been better for him to start in Utica.