The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

15 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I'm betting 4x7.  BB gets paid, we retain RFA rights to sign him long term after.  Win, win.  Get it done by Monday please.

that is too risky in my books, he can walk a year later by accepting his QO. Brock doesn't deserve 7m per unless its long term. He has NOT broken 30g or 60pts. Be a mistake to give Brock 7m short term

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

$6M for 3 years...keeps him in the ballpark with Bo and others. He has proved to be a $6M player...In three years, the whole group will deserve a raise if they do well.

Hopefully, in the next 3 years, raising the holy grail would do them all a favour (big contracts) and make Canuck fans very happy.

Edited by Pete M
add

I believe the Sedins were only paid $7M per season in their prime (proven players-Hall of Famers)...imagine what they would get now if they were in their prime.

Dubas definitely threw a wrench in the salary structure for paying young RFAs huge contracts after only playing through ELC.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I believe the Sedins were only paid $7M per season in their prime (proven players-Hall of Famers)...imagine what they would get now if they were in their prime.

Dubas definitely threw a wrench in the salary structure for paying young RFAs huge contracts after only playing through ELC.

Cap was far lower though. Nylander makes under 7m and had 2 solid years. Any Canuck fan would be quite happy if we could get Brock to sign for that same contract imo.

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Cap was far lower though. Nylander makes under 7m and had 2 solid years. Any Canuck fan would be quite happy if we could get Brock to sign for that same contract imo.

The salary cap was $69M when the twins both signed four year deals with full NMCs for $7M. As a percentage, that's 10.1% for each of them. Putting that in today's salary cap, it would equal cap hits of $8.27M each.

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, -AJ- said:

The salary cap was $69M when the twins both signed four year deals with full NMCs for $7M. As a percentage, that's 10.1% for each of them. Putting that in today's salary cap, it would equal cap hits of $8.27M each.

Exactly....$8.27M after winning Hart Trophies and the team winning President trophies

• Cheers 3

53 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Exactly....$8.27M after winning Hart Trophies and the team winning President trophies

To be noted they were a package deal, so probably took less than what they could have got. Today's version is Toews and Kane. Having to elite player up for contracts the same summer is not ideal in the cap world...unless your a bottom feeder. We will have EP and Hughes to sign at the same time, maybe we sign EP next summer and Hughes before he hits rfa the following summer?

10 hours ago, kloubek said:

Been discussed ad nauseam.  It isn't a cap issue. We will survive.

This is clearly Boeser's agent (and by extension, Boeser) going for top terms at the expense of the team... and, in fact, potentially Boeser's season.

If Benning was being unfair (and by all rumors said it does not appear so) this is clearly in Boeser's hands to end this.

I am not going to lie - with every day this goes on, I lose just a little respect for one of my very favorite Canucks. At what point does it just start looking greedy - given the 100 fold salaries over average people and all...

I agree, these players are still so young and are coming across as greedy with these holdouts. Have any of them won scoring titles or any NHL hardware...been the focal point of a cup winner?

Marner, Point, Tkachuk, Laine, Connor, Rantanen- all highly skilled players dont get me wrong, but all of them and their teams they played on did squat in the playoffs...when it counts and the games get more intense. Leafs have over 30m in 3 guys and have 2 high profile D coming up for UFA in the next couple years plus their G, but still can't find a way to win a playoff round with one of the best coaches in the world. $ doesn't buy championships

Brock has much to show and improve upon still. His skating is decent but not elite, he is not a pk guy we rely on. Top paid players have to be extremely well rounded imo. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

To be noted they were a package deal, so probably took less than what they could have got. Today's version is Toews and Kane. Having to elite player up for contracts the same summer is not ideal in the cap world...unless your a bottom feeder. We will have EP and Hughes to sign at the same time, maybe we sign EP next summer and Hughes before he hits rfa the following summer?

I think Pete has 2 more years on his ELC as last year was the first year of his 3 year ELC.  He never burned a year like AG or BB.  Maybe they should stop making deals where they burn the first year of the ELC's.

28 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I think Pete has 2 more years on his ELC as last year was the first year of his 3 year ELC.  He never burned a year like AG or BB.  Maybe they should stop making deals where they burn the first year of the ELC's.

He does yup, but next July we could extend him. It is not wise to gift these young kids a burnt year off their contract, it really shouldn't be allowed. We did it for Brock, he played a handful of games, got to see what the NHL was like, fans got a short glimpse of him. Now, after 2 non full years he is an rfa holding out so far wanting a contract the Canucks are unwilling to give him.

I hope history doesn't repeat itself with hughes in a couple years

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, kloubek said:

Been discussed ad nauseam.  It isn't a cap issue. We will survive.

This is clearly Boeser's agent (and by extension, Boeser) going for top terms at the expense of the team... and, in fact, potentially Boeser's season.

If Benning was being unfair (and by all rumors said it does not appear so) this is clearly in Boeser's hands to end this.

I am not going to lie - with every day this goes on, I lose just a little respect for one of my very favorite Canucks. At what point does it just start looking greedy - given the 100 fold salaries over average people and all...

Every time I see a post like this, where someone chooses to take rumours and media fabrications as gospel and then dumps crap on a Canucks player based on that ridiculous assumption, I lose a little more respect for that poster.

And when the poster whines about the fact that world class elite athletes are paid far more than Joe Lunchbucket (implying that the player should therefore accept whatever offer the team gives them) the poster is just demonstrating that they are living in a fantasy world.

I would certainly be interested in seeing any actual facts that indicate the Canucks are being completely fair and reasonable and Brock is being greedy.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

The burnt year is why Brock cannot receive offer sheets from other teams. This has significant value to the team. Would you like it better if another team could cause the Canucks major headaches by giving Brock an offer of a short term contract for say $8M/year?

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

And when the poster whines about the fact that world class elite athletes are paid far more than Joe Lunchbucket (implying that the player should therefore accept whatever offer the team gives them) the poster is just demonstrating that they are living in a fantasy world.

Just wanted to point out “Joe Lunchbucket” pays the salary for these world class athletes either through ticket sales, endorsements, or television(cable) fees. 

Also not buying into the rumours either,  reporters are not part of the negotiations. In other words, they are...

67761E58-DB0D-45C0-8CFE-7FFA34F6FA13.gif

Edited by sonoman
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

The burnt year is why Brock cannot receive offer sheets from other teams. This has significant value to the team. Would you like it better if another team could cause the Canucks major headaches by giving Brock an offer of a short term contract for say $8M/year?

I am hoping that in the next CBA this is addressed and RFA's loose the ability to hold teams captive like this.  You make a good point about his RFA restrictions but I think it should be addressed.  I suppose Publicity good or bad sells papers and get us listening to sports radio.  Who is wagging whom?

54 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Would you like it better if another team could cause the Canucks major headaches by giving Brock an offer of a short term contract for say $8M/year?

If that were the case it would definitely sting to lose Brock. 

But would a first, second, and third (offer sheet compensation at 8mil) be that bad considering where we are as a franchise and it's supposed to be an unbelievably deep draft year coming up.  

14 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

If that were the case it would definitely sting to lose Brock. 

But would a first, second, and third (offer sheet compensation at 8mil) be that bad considering where we are as a franchise and it's supposed to be an unbelievably deep draft year coming up.  

yes one is a proven nhl goal scorer picks are uknown gambles

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3