This is obviously the ceilings 

Horvat - oreilly

Mccann - giroux

Boeser - pavelski

Virt - booth ( pre concussion) 

Shinks - parise (poor mans parise)

Baer - demitra

The baer was hard but the rest i feel are pretty close

The Virt - Booth comparison is a head scratcher. 

4 hours ago, manroth19 said:

This is obviously the ceilings 

Horvat - oreilly

Mccann - giroux

Boeser - pavelski

Virt - booth ( pre concussion) 

Shinks - parise (poor mans parise)

Baer - demitra

The baer was hard but the rest i feel are pretty close

Virt will be WAY better than Booth...He had 1 1/2 good  seasons.

If Shink gets even half as good as Parise it would be a miracle.

Baer and Demitra......LOL  Demitra was a force in his Prime/ The force couldn't help Baer

2 minutes ago, Canorth said:

Even Button had him going 6th overall on the week of the draft. 

http://www2.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=121032

I mean it was somewhat obvious.

Benning clearly likes a certain type of player. Guys that play hard with an edge to their game. 

To me it was either between him or Ritchie in Bennings mind. Virtanen's speed and the fact that he's a local boy probably tipped the scales in his favor.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Cowardrobertford said:

Virt at 6 th overall made me scratch my head to.

not me.  He was the right pick at 6, virtually all scouting had him at number 6, if not number just 1 or 2 spots lower, but he was pretty much number 6 in like 90% of all sources.

If he doesn't pann out, my guess is by the time that is actualized, Benning will no longer have a job with us.

On 12/8/2015, 1:35:34, canuktravella said:

none are accurate in my eyes 

horvat is decent but i dont see him as ever being as good as bergeron 

comparables - ryan o reily

mccann - modano

virtanen - perry without as much offence but  better skating and hitter

boeser -  hull   ultra lite   hopefully he lights up league with snipes 

shinkaruk - verbeek  snipes with good work in corners 

baertchi - vanek is he pans out

demko - brodeur lite  this kids gonna be legit  

Shink / Verbeek is kinda interesting.. any more insight as to why you came up with this?

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I mean it was somewhat obvious.

Benning clearly likes a certain type of player. Guys that play hard with an edge to their game. 

To me it was either between him or Ritchie in Bennings mind. Virtanen's speed and the fact that he's a local boy probably tipped the scales in his favor.

Has it been mentioned that maybe his will to complete his ND education caused a few teams to pass on him?

Lol, probably a few times.. Hopefully Brock is loyal, my gut tells me he's in ND for a while yet.

What other 2015 1st rounders are yet unsigned to ELCs and what might those reasons be?

21 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

not me.  He was the right pick at 6, virtually all scouting had him at number 6, if not number just 1 or 2 spots lower, but he was pretty much number 6 in like 90% of all sources.

If he doesn't pann out, my guess is by the time that is actualized, Benning will no longer have a job with us.

Exactly why I scratched my head, how Virt was at 6th in some draft mocks, though there was a few where he was at 24, which I thought was fair.

Perhaps judging a player for about 20 games as a scout and stat watching is not enough.

6 minutes ago, Cowardrobertford said:

Perhaps judging a player for about 20 games as a scout and stat watching is not enough.

Do you honestly think that's all they do?

These rankings are produced by a large group of scouts that watch players numerous times throughout the season. They have more insight into these players than the average fan who simply calls picks bad a year after they're drafted.

Edited by DeNiro

6 minutes ago, Cowardrobertford said:

Exactly why I scratched my head, how Virt was at 6th in some draft mocks, though there was a few where he was at 24, which I thought was fair.

:rolleyes:

You pick Jake for his Raw Tools and Potential to become they type of player that you build a contender. Not for the elite offensive skill set which is relativily easy to find thoughout the draft.

Just because a player puts up 50-60 points a year doesn't mean he has a greater impact on the success of the team than a guy who puts up 40 points a year

Edited by Gstank29

4 hours ago, Canucks Prophet said:

The Virt - Booth comparison is a head scratcher. 

Still wondering why people hate this comparison.

Booth pre-concussion put up goals, was fast, and was not afraid to lean in with the body - this is everything people want in JV.

Just because people don't like Booth doesn't mean they're not similar. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Still wondering why people hate this comparison.

Booth pre-concussion put up goals, was fast, and was not afraid to lean in with the body - this is everything people want in JV.

Just because people don't like Booth doesn't mean they're not similar. 

There's simply better comparisons for Virtanen than Booth.

Anyone who expects great things from Virtanen will want a higher ceiling than anything Booth did.

3 hours ago, Gstank29 said:

:rolleyes:

You pick Jake for his Raw Tools and Potential to become they type of player that you build a contender. Not for the elite offensive skill set which is relativily easy to find thoughout the draft.

Just because a player puts up 50-60 points a year doesn't mean he has a greater impact on the success of the team than a guy who puts up 40 points a year

Elite offensive skill, relatively easy to find. That seems difficult to believe. I mean if it is why don't we have one, cept McCann.

I won't build a team on Jake judging in what he had shown when comparing with what other players at his draft class have done.

1 hour ago, Canucks Prophet said:

There's simply better comparisons for Virtanen than Booth.

Anyone who expects great things from Virtanen will want a higher ceiling than anything Booth did.

booth was putting up 30 goals hard north south player that hit everything and drove the net.....id say its a hell of a lot closer then the perry comparison and okposo. evander is the best of the bunch. i just think people forget what booth was like those couple good years he had

• Upvote 2