The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Okay Minnesota is not the other side of the world, but to a guy coming from Minnesota, Vancouver certainly appears to be!B)

There's definitely some huge differences. 

But there's also some similarities. People in Minnesota are pretty outdoorsy. Same with Vancouver.

15 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

SO if you were past over by 20 teams and one team decide to give you a chance to live out your dream, your going to snub them just because you don't want to play somewhere else. Do you seriously think that every NCAA player isn't going to sign just because they can. 

Boeser isn't going to last 4 years in Collage, he will leave before that.

THis has nothing to do with being passed over by 20 teams and 1 team giving him a chance to live his dream. THat's a nonsensical position. No one did him a favour and he doesn't owe anything to the Canucks. They picked him because he was good enough to be drafted. This wasn't charity.

In all likelihood he will sign, we don't have any evidence that he won't. Usually NCAA players who go UFA are not good enough to turn pro in their 2nd year, Boeser looks like he is good enough to play in the AHL next year. He's not going to wait 3 more years to turn pro. 

Fact is we just you don't know. Why wouldn't he want to play close to home if he had a choice. He holds the cards. But yeah I do think he'll sign and play in Utica sometime next year. 

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

ITHis has nothing to do with being passed over by 20 teams and 1 team giving him a chance to live his dream. THat's a nonsensical position. No one did him a favour and he doesn't owe anything to the Canucks. They picked him because he was good enough to be drafted. This wasn't charity.

In all likelihood he will sign, we don't have any evidence that he won't. Usually NCAA players who go UFA are not good enough to turn pro in their 2nd year, Boeser looks like he is good enough to play in the AHL next year. He's not going to wait 3 more years to turn pro. 

Fact is we just you don't know. Why wouldn't he want to play close to home if he had a choice. He holds the cards. But yeah I do think he'll sign and play in Utica sometime next year. 

I mean it's possible but I doubt he forfeits hundreds of thousands to play at home. 

He's ripping uo college now, he could sin next season or even the year after. Doubt he goes until UFA though. 

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Minnesota is only a 3 hour flight from Vancouver, it's not like he's on the other side of the world.

I went to school less than an hour driving distance from the border. They had no clue about what Canada was like and how we lived here. My family owned business in Seattle, once a gas station attendant asked if we lived in igloos in Canada. 

Americans know more about England than they do about Canada so in a sense it may very well be "on the other side of the world".

A top Grizzlies NBA draft pick showed up in a fur coat in July thinking it would be freezing here.

Of course I'm not saying Boeser is the same, he's been here and is obviously more aware of what life is like here, I'm just talking about what and how much Americans know about Canada and how we really are on the other side of the world for them.

Edited by WHL rocks

5 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Of course I'm not saying Boeser is the same, he's been here and is obviously more aware of what life is like here, I'm just talking about what and how much Americans know about Canada and how we really are on the other side of the world for them.

I would say people from Minnesota and North Dakota are the most Canadian out of any of the states whether they realize it or not.

I'm sure he'll feel right at home.

5 minutes ago, Delta76 said:

I mean it's possible but I doubt he forfeits hundreds of thousands to play at home. 

He's ripping uo college now, he could sin next season or even the year after. Doubt he goes until UFA though. 

Agree, at the end of the day it's about money. If he's good enough to go pro he'll sign and won't wait 3 years and risk injury or regression.

It would be more a risk if he was in his 3rd year going into 4th. Demko is more a risk than this kid and I think Demko will sign in the summer and be in Utica next year too. 

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I would say people from Minnesota and North Dakota are the most Canadian out of any of the states whether they realize it or not.

I'm sure he'll feel right at home.

Nope.  You're not understanding.  I doubt people from Minnesota realize just how much Vancouver appears to be part of Asia.  I'm sure Boesser is not at all a racist or in any way bigoted, but it will be a cuticle shock for sure.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Nope.  You're not understanding.  I doubt people from Minnesota realize just how much Vancouver appears to be part of Asia.  I'm sure Boesser is not at all a racist or in any way bigoted, but it will be a cuticle shock for sure.  

I got that part thanks.

I'm saying people (regardless of race) who have integrated into Canadian culture. The people that are polite and friendly and have certain values.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I got that part thanks.

I'm saying people (regardless of race) who have integrated into Canadian culture. The people that are polite and friendly and have certain values.

Yes, we are nice people here.  He's used to nice white people.  We are a variety of nice people.  I know this makes our city better, but will a guy from Minnesota understand?  

I don't think it's such a big deal at all. We've had several foreign players who have called BC home over the years.

Canada is one of the best countries to live in. I understand if players prefer to play near home, but they also have to grow up and realize that this is part of the job. You have to be professional about it.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yes, we are nice people here.  He's used to nice white people.  We are a variety of nice people.  I know this makes our city better, but will a guy from Minnesota understand?  

Well unless he's a racist, nice people are nice people regardless.

We also value nature and the outdoors here as well. That's a huge part of Minnesota lifestyle.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Canucks Prophet said:

I don't think it's such a big deal at all. We've had several foreign players who have called BC home over the years.

Canada is one of the best countries to live in. I understand if players prefer to play near home, but they also have to grow up and realize that this is part of the job. You have to be professional about it.

Of course Canada is the best country, and Vancouver is the best city.  That's a given.  Do you remember how difficult it was for the Grizxlies to get guys to come here?  Their opinions are based on their ignorance.  We should accept that US educated people are extremely ignorant when it comes to us.  And bigotry comes for ignorance.

This whole situation is ridiculous. Why the NHL doesn't fix this loophole makes no sense. All they need to do is make a stipulation saying if the player does not want to sign with the team that selected him he must re-enter the draft. He should NOT be eligible to become a UFA that is just ridiculous.

I've had a bad feeling since we drafted him that this kid was going to just sign with Minnesota right out of college.

Edited by peaches5