The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

18 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I mean you hope he gives it his all no matter where he plays. But you would think it gives players a higher level of pride to play for their hometown team.

I'd rather have players who really want to be here, rather than having players like Kesler who probably always imagined himself playing for an American team.

So are you saying Kesler didn't give his all? He didn't give it his all to get us to the SCF? He didn't give his all to become the scorer he has been for us? Come on. I know some people are bitter about Kesler leaving us, but don't let that cloud your memory from before that time.

And, if you think everyone would want to play for their hometown? Guess again. Remember Mike Comrie? He was born in Edmonton, drafted by Edmonton, and played for Edmonton for the first bit of his career; however, as soon as he could leave, he did. He's even outright said that he didn't want to play for his hometown.

While it may influence some people positively (and other negatively), playing for your hometown doesn't necessarily change how much effort a player will put into their game. Conversely, not playing for their hometown doesn't mean they won't have drive. In the end, it's really going to depend on the player.

Schroeder is another example of this. While he had some drive in Minnesota, his best season so far was still his first one here. He had just as much drive here. I think it's just sometimes easier for us to see these players in a better limelight when they're not under a microscope. ;)

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, The Lock said:

So are you saying Kesler didn't give his all? He didn't give it his all to get us to the SCF? He didn't give his all to become the scorer he has been for us? Come on. I know some people are bitter about Kesler leaving us, but don't let that cloud your memory from before that time.

And, if you think everyone would want to play for their hometown? Guess again. Remember Mike Comrie? He was born in Edmonton, drafted by Edmonton, and played for Edmonton for the first bit of his career; however, as soon as he could leave, he did. He's even outright said that he didn't want to play for his hometown.

While it may influence some people positively (and other negatively), playing for your hometown doesn't necessarily change how much effort a player will put into their game. Conversely, not playing for their hometown doesn't mean they won't have drive. In the end, it's really going to depend on the player.

Schroeder is another example of this. While he had some drive in Minnesota, his best season so far was still his first one here. He had just as much drive here. I think it's just sometimes easier for us to see these players in a better limelight when they're not under a microscope. ;)

Totally agree.  In Kesler's case; the way he handled his exit has nothing to do with nationality.  He wanted to be on a contending team, none of the Canadian teams were contenders when he left.  It's like a jilted ex-girlfriend claiming all men are pigs when really, it was one dude that broke her heart.  Thats what Kesler and Vancouver's relationship was like.

• Upvote 1

Marty St Louis exited very similarly to Kesler, and he's a Canadian Olympian and was captain at the time.

The night Boeser was drafted, he was in a Mexican restaurant at like midnight, still wearing his Canucks jersey. Let's all breathe. JV, Bo, Hutton, Virt, McCann, Demko... there is a good young crop of kids that I'm sure he'll look forward to playing with.

2 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Marty St Louis exited very similarly to Kesler, and he's a Canadian Olympian and was captain at the time.

The night Boeser was drafted, he was in a Mexican restaurant at like midnight, still wearing his Canucks jersey. Let's all breathe. JV, Bo, Hutton, Virt, McCann, Demko... there is a good young crop of kids that I'm sure he'll look forward to playing with.

JV and Virt are the same xD

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, wshdrvvn said:

Totally agree.  In Kesler's case; the way he handled his exit has nothing to do with nationality.  He wanted to be on a contending team, none of the Canadian teams were contenders when he left.  It's like a jilted ex-girlfriend claiming all men are pigs when really, it was one dude that broke her heart.  Thats what Kesler and Vancouver's relationship was like.

I have seen a lot of stupid arguments on CDC over the years but this, "not trying as hard because I'm an American playing in Canada" is the new benchmark. 

I hope we never exceed this stupidity again. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

And if we keep going like this...soon to be joined by a Mathews, Chychrun, Puljujarvi, Tkachuck or Laine :lol:

Will stay in North Dakota for the full degree and subsequently sign w. Hometown Minesotta Wild   

That's just my gut prediction. 

Seeing videos and reading stories he was really shaken up over the  sudden death of his best friend when they were 16 and considered quitting hockey.  Brock is very close with his family especially Mom.  

I wouldnt be surprised at all if he signs w. The Wild when given the chance either in 3 years or 8. 

25 minutes ago, WestlockWarrior said:

Will stay in North Dakota for the full degree and subsequently sign w. Hometown Minesotta Wild   

Seeing videos and reading stories he was really shaken up over the  sudden death of his best friend when they were 16 and considered quitting hockey.  Brock is very close with his family especially Mom.  

I wouldnt be surprised at all if he signs w. The Wild when given the chance either in 3 years or 8. 

Then it wouldn't be because its his hometown but because it is his hometown town and that he was close to his family. 

Everything is a possibility

Edited by Cowardrobertford
"I'm destined for great things Jesse James"-Coward Robert Ford

49 minutes ago, WestlockWarrior said:

Have you ever been to Minneapolis/Minnesota?  It's a good place to be from...

That being said, some guys love the midwest.  We'll see what happens I guess.  

1 hour ago, J-Dizzle said:

Have you ever been to Minneapolis/Minnesota?  It's a good place to be from...

That being said, some guys love the midwest.  We'll see what happens I guess.  

Lots of players love playing hockey in the State of hockey. 

Recently players like Vanek, Suter, Parise all committed.  

I think for Boeser it would be more so being super close to family. 

1 hour ago, WestlockWarrior said:

Lots of players love playing hockey in the State of hockey. 

Recently players like Vanek, Suter, Parise all committed.  

I think for Boeser it would be more so being super close to family. 

Fair enough, I'm just saying unless you're really into deer hunting and beer Vancouver and BC have a lot of wooing power over against Minneapolis and Minnesota.  

You just don't know until his signature in on an SPC with the Canucks. Why wouldn't he want to play in his home state rather than a foreign country.

There's always a risk in these types of situations. Hope he signs and all ends well. Kids gonna be a star for a long time to come.

Just now, WHL rocks said:

You just don't know until his signature in on an SPC with the Canucks. Why wouldn't he want to play in his home state rather than a foreign country.

There's always a risk in these types of situations. Hope he signs and all ends well. Kids gonna be a star for a long time to come.

SO if you were past over by 20 teams and one team decide to give you a chance to live out your dream, your going to snub them just because you don't want to play somewhere else. Do you seriously think that every NCAA player isn't going to sign just because they can. 

Boeser isn't going to last 4 years in Collage, he will leave before that.