The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

4 hours ago, NEON.KNEE said:

Virt will be WAY better than Booth...He had 1 1/2 good  seasons.

If Shink gets even half as good as Parise it would be a miracle.

Baer and Demitra......LOL  Demitra was a force in his Prime/ The force couldn't help Baer

i only said demitra because he was a quiet type player that made good slick passes (the baer was hard to compare).

the shinks to parise was just because how he takes the puck to the net out of the corners (i did say poor mans parise) the gallagher comparison seems off to me. gallagher is more of a pest and goes to the net hard aand stays there where i see shinks more of a corner to the net type guy

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Do you honestly think that's all they do?

These rankings are produced by a large group of scouts that watch players numerous times throughout the season. They have more insight into these players than the average fan who simply calls picks bad a year after they're drafted.

If they truly have good insights then why they couldn't figure out how Jake's offensive and defensive positioning is not good, add to the fact that his game doesn't even have a structure in it. 

I did not like the pick when it was made, I thought it was based mostly on his size, local kid, and his hitting, that made us pick him. I thought we could get some like him in the later round.

1 hour ago, Canucks Prophet said:

There's simply better comparisons for Virtanen than Booth.

Anyone who expects great things from Virtanen will want a higher ceiling than anything Booth did.

It's far more unrealistic to compare him to Perry and the likes. Just because you want to compare him to the NHL elite doesn't mean that it's more accurate. 

I like the Booth comparison because he's extremely similar in playing style and physical attributes. As much as people want to deny it, you know it's not that far off. 

20 minutes ago, manroth19 said:

booth was putting up 30 goals hard north south player that hit everything and drove the net.....id say its a hell of a lot closer then the perry comparison and okposo. evander is the best of the bunch. i just think people forget what booth was like those couple good years he had

2 minutes ago, guntrix said:

It's far more unrealistic to compare him to Perry and the likes. Just because you want to compare him to the NHL elite doesn't mean that it's more accurate. 

I like the Booth comparison because he's extremely similar in playing style and physical attributes. As much as people want to deny it, you know it's not that far off. 

Booth only had one season where he hit 30+ goals, and only two seasons where he had 20+ goals. He only had three 40+ point seasons. Now, he's off to Russia. Most Canucks fans are thinking bigger than this. So it's fairly obvious why fans are not really buying this kind of ceiling for the young kid. 

3 minutes ago, Canucks Prophet said:

Booth only had one season where he hit 30+ goals, and only two seasons where he had 20+ goals. He only had three 40+ point seasons. Now, he's off to Russia. Most Canucks fans are thinking bigger than this. So it's fairly obvious why fans are not really buying this kind of ceiling for the young kid. 

Ha-ha, hear that boys, you can do better than that, making PRE-CONCUSSION Booth and Virt comparisons. 

On December 8, 2015 at 9:28:15 PM, Ihatetomatoes said:

So far I like: 

Horvat - O'reilly 

McCann - Krejci (comparing players to hall or fame players is kinda silly)

Virtanen - E. Kane 

Boeser - Couture 

Shinkaruk - Zuccarello? 

Baertchi - T.  Johnson? (I don't see the vanek comparable at all. Vanek is a big goal scoring guy while Baertchi is a small playmaker) 

that's the best potential comparables list I've seen.

horvat and o'reilly are really similar

mccann is more tenacious on d than kreijci, but imo he has that skill potential

virtanen and kane is great. fast, big wingers with heavy shots that are more toolsy than cerebral with similar peak projections, obviously virtanen hits more and harder

boeser i don't agree with so much. boeser to me is more similar to prime patrick sharp, with maybe less defensiveness and potentially a better shot. a serious wrist shot and shoot first mentality, size, score from anywhere, skating

shinkaruk to me can be brendan gallagher-esque with his size to tenaciousness and grittiness ratio not far off, but he has better hands. they score similar goals.

baertschi could be like hemsky was back when he was relevant

• Upvote 1

On December 9, 2015 at 9:33:34 PM, manroth19 said:

booth was putting up 30 goals hard north south player that hit everything and drove the net.....id say its a hell of a lot closer then the perry comparison and okposo. evander is the best of the bunch. i just think people forget what booth was like those couple good years he had

booth put up 30 goals once and had multiple injuries every yr  i really think virtanen is a step above booth more in lines with bertuzzi 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Edlerberry said:

that's the best potential comparables list I've seen.

horvat and o'reilly are really similar

mccann is more tenacious on d than kreijci, but imo he has that skill potential

virtanen and kane is great. fast, big wingers with heavy shots that are more toolsy than cerebral with similar peak projections, obviously virtanen hits more and harder

boeser i don't agree with so much. boeser to me is more similar to prime patrick sharp, with maybe less defensiveness and potentially a better shot. a serious wrist shot and shoot first mentality, size, score from anywhere, skating

shinkaruk to me can be brendan gallagher-esque with his size to tenaciousness and grittiness ratio not far off, but he has better hands. they score similar goals.

baertschi could be like hemsky was back when he was relevant

I like the Hemsky Baertchi comparison, crafty small playmaking players, also not aggressive enough to really make much of an impact. Hopefully Baertchi can be more relevant than Hemsky. 

As for Boeser I think your over estimating his skating ability, he's not know for being a good skater. He's not bad but it's not a strong suit of his like Patrick sharp. 

• Upvote 1

On December 10, 2015 at 1:47 AM, Ihatetomatoes said:

I like the Hemsky Baertchi comparison, crafty small playmaking players, also not aggressive enough to really make much of an impact. Hopefully Baertchi can be more relevant than Hemsky. 

As for Boeser I think your over estimating his skating ability, he's not know for being a good skater. He's not bad but it's not a strong suit of his like Patrick sharp. 

I didn't know that.  Although he does use his quick feet to better position his body to accept a pass, and release his shot extremely fast.  Two other players I saw, who he reminds me of for this skill of positioning the body before the puck arrives were Brett Hull and Mike Bossy.  Neither of these two were known as sceptical skaters.  I see a lot of those two gifted goal scorers in Boeser.

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

I didn't know that.  Although he does use his quick feet to better position his body to accept a pass, and release his shot extremely fast.  Two other players I saw, who he reminds me of for this skill of positioning the body before the puck arrives were Brett Hull and Mike Bossy.  Neither of these two were known as sceptical skaters.  I see a lot of those two gifted goal scorers in Boeser.

He definitely looks to have a good first step and good acceleration which is probably more important anyway. Don't think he has the elite top end speed, just going on what I've read. I'm no expert by far. Kinda reminds me of Domi really. Good Edgework and acceleration to find open spaces and also attack the puck. How nice would it be if he pans out to be an elite winger. Him and McCann could be a deadly combo. 

4 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

He definitely looks to have a good first step and good acceleration which is probably more important anyway. Don't think he has the elite top end speed, just going on what I've read. I'm no expert by far. Kinda reminds me of Domi really. Good Edgework and acceleration to find open spaces and also attack the puck. How nice would it be if he pans out to be an elite winger. Him and McCann could be a deadly combo. 

He will absolutely need a centre to get him the puck in scoring positions.  Hull had Oates, and Bossy had Trottier.  McCann appears to be the real deal, so it is exciting to think what they could do together in a few years.