The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

This exact play stuck in my mind too. He is going to be one heck of a dman. I can't wait to see him play with NHL calibre players. I think he's going to make the team this year, or he will at least make it very hard on the team to say no. 

Glad somebody else saw the same thing. Just going off memory but it really was a moment that stood out. Particularly in light of the weight Olli has put on. It's very encouraging that he doesn't appear to have traded off any skating ability while rapidly adding size and strength. Honestly, on that play he might have even looked a little faster than he used to be. I also believe he was fairly late in his shift, which again is impressive, given that at a newly minted ~200 lbs, he has the conditioning required to produce the kind of a burst needed to quickly close down on another player.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Typos
  • Upvote 4

Could Gaudette be that other top 6 centre everybody wanted in Vilardi and Glass? A guy who not only has more offensive abilities than Bo but is also no slouch on the defensive side. Just hearing Gaudette say he's competing against Pettersson for the same role with Vancouver which is no surprise that spot is number 1 centre. Now during the prospects game as good as Pettersson looked on the puck I don't think I saw him win one faceoff! Watching Gaudette play he just reminds me of a Ryan O'Reilly type of player. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gaudette excel even more and earn a top 6 centre spot for the Canucks with Pettersson on his wing where they play with a criss crossing type of offence where when better suited on the rush interchange roles from wing to centre. I'm definitely excited to watch this position battle over the next couple of years!

• Upvote 1

Best case scenario - Gaudette ends up our first line two-way center and Pettersson gets pushed onto the wing.

Worse case scenario - Gaudette ends up a 3rd or 4th line center and doesn't manage scoring as much as he is right now.

Realistically I think Gaudette will end up a very serviceable 20 goal, 40-50 point center and a consistent defensive center for several years. He might pop the 60 point mark here and there. That's some pretty damn good center depth if you ask me. Pettersson and Horvat at 50-70 points, Gaudette around 40-50 points, Sutter at 20-30 points

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Best case scenario - Gaudette ends up our first line two-way center and Pettersson gets pushed onto the wing.

Worse case scenario - Gaudette ends up a 3rd or 4th line center and doesn't manage scoring as much as he is right now.

Realistically I think Gaudette will end up a very serviceable 20 goal, 40-50 point center and a consistent defensive center for several years. He might pop the 60 point mark here and there. That's some pretty damn good center depth if you ask me. Pettersson and Horvat at 50-70 points, Gaudette around 40-50 points, Sutter at 20-30 points

I think there are two main factors that determine what Gaudette's role with the Nucks will be:

1. His performance next year will be more indicative of what his true ceiling is. This year he played on the best offensive line in the NCAA and that inflated his numbers; observers from the NCAA has Gaudette and Aston-Reese as the drivers on the line, with Sikura being the passenger.

2. How much weight Pettersson can put on. I personally believe Pettersson has one of the highest in his draft year, but the guy is built like a twig as of now. If he is going to develop physically like his brother, he might be closer to 175-180 lbs during his 20's instead of the optimal 190-200 lbs range. If the former case is true, management might prefer to play him on the wing.

If Pettersson doesn't develop physically enough, I could see Horvat and Gaudette (assuming he develops well in the NCAA) in a 1B/2A situation down the middle.

If Pettersson does develop well physically, I have a hard time seeing Gaudette challenge him for spot as the top centre. If this is the case I could see Gaudette challenging for Horvat's role as the 2nd line centre.

These are of course all lofty expectations, but I think there is a consistency to Gaudette's game that would make him a good 30-35 point centre if he doesn't hit his offensive ceiling.

Gaudette's gonna be 21 in a couple months.... time to sign a contract and turn pro to see what we have. 

Older than Boeser/Virtanen...just 6 months younger than Bo.

Don't see the advantage of playing vs 17-18 yr olds in college for another yr.

Kesler 2.0 or Cole Cassels ?

Looked real good the other nite...

4 minutes ago, nickels said:

Gaudette's gonna be 21 in a couple months.... time to sign a contract and turn pro to see what we have. 

Unfortunately he's already committed himself to one more year. Atleast by the end of it he will be over ripe and hopefully ready to get some meaningful games in at the end of this coming season for the big club. I agree that I would like to see him as soon as possible. The beauty about our our club right now as well is he'll have a lot of competition earning a spot. 

2 hours ago, nickels said:

Usually there are not many 17-18 year old players in college hockey. Most of his competition is 19-22, and it will be nice to see how he does being "The Man" with  Zac Aston-Reece gone.

• Upvote 1

Makes me wonder if Gaudette continues to improve, what trades will occur to make room for some of these players. If the future Cs of this team are Pettersson, Horvat and Gaudette, what becomes of Zhukenov, Burmistrov, MacEwen etc? I also wonder if Gaunce can take another step this year, or could he also be traded? On the right side there's Rodin, Virtanen, Boeser, Goldobin, Lind, Lockwood, and Palmu. Not all of these players will be Canucks.

IMO, (so far) the best future 3 of each forward position are:

L -  Dahlen, Granlund, Baertschi

C - Pettersson, Horvat, Gaudette

R - Boeser, Goldobin, Virtanen

So, what would become of these players?

L - Gadjovich, Gaunce, Molino, Labate, Stukel

C - Burmistrov, Cassels, MacEwen, Zhukenov

R - Rodin, Lind, Lockwood, Palmu

Edited by NUCKER67

26 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Makes me wonder if Gaudette continues to improve, what trades will occur to make room for some of these players. If the future Cs of this team are Pettersson, Horvat and Gaudette, what becomes of Zhukenov, Burmistrov, MacEwen etc? I also wonder if Gaunce can take another step this year, or could he also be traded? On the right side there's Rodin, Virtanen, Boeser, Goldobin, Lind, Lockwood, and Palmu. Not all of these players will be Canucks.

Not everybody will work out, that is the long and the short of it. That is why we need the `critical mass` of prospects. However, back to your point, if too many of them do? That's a lovely problem to have. Also, on your list there appears to be a couple AAAA players, the tweeners who will spend their careers between the AHL and NHL. They are very useful to have and they also help the roster crunch.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nessnuck27 said:

When does Gaudette become a Free Agent? Will he be able to sign with whatever team at the end of this year if he wants? Or how does that work?

As per the current CBA. the Canucks would retain Gaudette's right until August 15th, 2019.

College Players. (i) If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time of his selection in the Entry Draft, or becomes a bona fide college student prior to the first June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, and remains a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for his services through and including the August 15 following the graduation of his college class. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to retain such rights.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Finally having another AHL franchise and prospects that rival the Manitoba Moose of years past is long overdue. If you look at our prospects and all of the players that can be waived https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks to the Comets this season, it would serve them to put as many of those guys in the AHL as possible. 

Lots of those guys on your lists haven't even signed their elc contract yet. Others like Virtanen, Cassels and Subban need to prove themselves this year, because they won't be waiver exempt like the case with Gaunce this season.

In the salary cap era it doesn't make sense to push these guys into the NHL without spending the development years of their elc in the AHL. Some players like Boeser may be able to skip the line a bit, but he is 20 and had a good couple of years in College. Gaudette will be in that same spot next year and it will be interesting to see if he gets the Boeser treatment and goes straight to the NHL or if they preserve a year of his deal and send him to the AHL. 

1 hour ago, canuckledraggin said:

Finally having another AHL franchise and prospects that rival the Manitoba Moose of years past is long overdue. If you look at our prospects and all of the players that can be waived https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks to the Comets this season, it would serve them to put as many of those guys in the AHL as possible. 

Lots of those guys on your lists haven't even signed their elc contract yet. Others like Virtanen, Cassels and Subban need to prove themselves this year, because they won't be waiver exempt like the case with Gaunce this season.

In the salary cap era it doesn't make sense to push these guys into the NHL without spending the development years of their elc in the AHL. Some players like Boeser may be able to skip the line a bit, but he is 20 and had a good couple of years in College. Gaudette will be in that same spot next year and it will be interesting to see if he gets the Boeser treatment and goes straight to the NHL or if they preserve a year of his deal and send him to the AHL. 

I agree that it would be nice to let ELC players spend time in the AHL for development purposes. However, I am not sure this would be dictated at all by the salary cap era and, in actual fact, I think the salary cap era actually encourages teams to have multiple ELC players on the team. This would certainly be true for those teams that have salary cap issues due to what they are paying their star players. Teams like Chicago, Pittsburgh and soon Edmonton will have to have players still on their ELC's if they want to stay under the cap.

Developing teams like Vancouver probably won't have that problem (yet) and I can certainly see that it may be beneficial to have more ELC players developing in the AHL.

Just my perspective...

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

I agree that it would be nice to let ELC players spend time in the AHL for development purposes. However, I am not sure this would be dictated at all by the salary cap era and, in actual fact, I think the salary cap era actually encourages teams to have multiple ELC players on the team. This would certainly be true for those teams that have salary cap issues due to what they are paying their star players. Teams like Chicago, Pittsburgh and soon Edmonton will have to have players still on their ELC's if they want to stay under the cap.

Developing teams like Vancouver probably won't have that problem (yet) and I can certainly see that it may be beneficial to have more ELC players developing in the AHL.

Just my perspective...

Do you think Benning and co. see a positive when burning a year off an elc? Being able to sign them just before they break out at slightly lower cost? Obviously not with everyone, but say boeser puts up 40 pts next year and 50 the year after. He'll come cheaper at this point than in the following year when he potentially goes higher again. Pure speculation but you never know. 

11 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

There is nothing realistic about that expectation.  I hope you are right, but expecting Gaudette to hit 20 goals in the NHL is a long shot.  

I will be happy if he ends up playing 200 games in the NHL by the time it's all said and done.

2 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

Just my perspective...

It's definitely a balancing act. A team needs to insert youth into their lineup and fill the gaps with low salary journeymen and veterans, but the extreme example is what the Leafs did last season, icing so many rookies. It's possibly a good problem for them to have that their rookies are producing and have opened up the window for the playoffs and potentially going on a run in the next couple of seasons. The downside of that strategy is that next year Nylander is going to get paid and in a couple years Marner and Matthews are going to break the bank. And they still haven't addressed defense or goaltending to make themselves a legit contender. 

I like the path the Canucks are on and I think slow and steady is going to pay off in a few seasons. We shouldn't have the cap worries of other rebuilding teams.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, kingcoaast said:

Do you think Benning and co. see a positive when burning a year off an elc? Being able to sign them just before they break out at slightly lower cost? Obviously not with everyone, but say boeser puts up 40 pts next year and 50 the year after. He'll come cheaper at this point than in the following year when he potentially goes higher again. Pure speculation but you never know. 

Actually, I do and for the exact reason you describe. I think they will ensure the fringe type players will have to play out their full ELC but I don't see any disadvantage to having your potential star type players burn a year as Boeser did. It does get some players a year closer to free agency by burning the year but in Boeser's case, because of his age, he still reaches FA status at 27 years of age.They obviously need to know where they are at with the salary cap going out at least 5 years to ensure they are not going to create issues that they can't get out of but that should just be a normal course of business.

2 hours ago, kingcoaast said:

I'm sure they look at it in every which way possible and this could very well end up happening. However in Boesers case I think it's just that added incentive to get your college guys to sign with you. The idea of playing 10 games and burning one year off your entry deal getting you a quicker pay day is really enticing.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

As per the current CBA. the Canucks would retain Gaudette's right until August 15th, 2019.

College Players. (i) If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time of his selection in the Entry Draft, or becomes a bona fide college student prior to the first June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, and remains a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for his services through and including the August 15 following the graduation of his college class. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to retain such rights.

Thanks for the info, which was pretty much what I thought, but reading the details raised another question. What happens to his rights if he drops out before "the graduation of his college class"?