The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

Gaudette suprised me, and tbh Pettersson/ Horvat/ Gaudette doesn't look to shabby....Gaunce I haven't given up on yet fully, but he may be our 4C in the future....Now all I can say is we get lucky next year or the year after in the draft. Still take the best player available.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Gaudette suprised me, and tbh Pettersson/ Horvat/ Gaudette doesn't look to shabby....Gaunce I haven't given up on yet fully, but he may be our 4C in the future....Now all I can say is we get lucky next year or the year after in the draft. Still take the best player available.

No no it doesn't does it, that's a pretty solid 3 centres for the Canucks future.  

When I was watching Gaudette, all I could think was man this is how I want Sutter to play. They actually have some similar attributes, but Gaudette has the illusive playmaking abilities to go with the solid wrister. 

Really hoping he can take his game to a new level at the NCAA again this year. I think he could step into the NHL at the end of the season without a big problem. The structured game of the NCAA really suits the jump to the pro game well. Of course the speed and strength factors go up a big notch, but the way the game is played is not that far off. 

• Upvote 2

If you guys didnt hear it earlier this year this was Pierre McGuire gushing about Gaudette a few months ago (below).  Button had him ranked in his top 50 players not in the NHL. Sure guys like Brock, Pettersson and Dahlen are talented but Gaudette was picked in the fifth round and looks like he could be an absolute gem.  I had a sense he was flying under the radar a bit with the fans and the media because the past couple of weeks there has been lots of attention to the players picked this year.  Last night was a real statement from the kid.  Im looking forward to tuning into his games this year to follow his progress:

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040-i-1410/mcguire-boeser-ready-to-step-in-gaudette-might-be-steal-of-2015-draft-1.693323

Edited by Darius71
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I can see some being more impressed with goals etc. - human nature.   However, if anyone who actually watched the game versus trying out a weak troll game thinks that OJ looks (or looked) slow needs to learn how to watch hockey.   He plays to the pace of play AND more impressively sets it.   He was obviously SO FAR AHEAD of most of the players on the ice every time he had the puck - you could see him waiting time and time again for someone, anyone, to make the right turn, turn a blade to accept a pass in a good position for zone entry etc. etc.   He was likely internally shrugging his shoulder with a "boy, some of these guys are simply not there yet" thoughout the game.

Taking nothing away from Gaudette who looks (and I try to NEVER use the term) like a steal for a fifth rounder, the most NHL ready player on the ice last night was not a forward.   It was OJ.    However, it is only an opinion as I am reminded by a few of my "internet fans" who claim to not read my posts but then seem to respond to all of them, my opinions are likely all wrong anyway.   :lol:

it did look like that. My wife said to me "wow I wonder what Olli would look like with good players" :lol: 

I think "steal" is the right term, the percentages are so low from the 5th round for him to show this much potential is pretty impressive. I've never actually seen an NCAA game but I would think he's going to be pretty dominant and a leader on NU. 

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

it did look like that. My wife said to me "wow I wonder what Olli would look like with good players" :lol: 

I think "steal" is the right term, the percentages are so low from the 5th round for him to show this much potential is pretty impressive. I've never actually seen an NCAA game but I would think he's going to be pretty dominant and a leader on NU. 

NCAA is faster than CHL but less "physical".   More tactical too and goal scorer much harder.   There was a number of years ago (say 10) a lot of really strong and really weak teams, now parity is more the norm and the overall calibre is way higher.   IF you can be a PPG player in NCAA you would be better than that in OHL, WHL etc. as long as you could handle the physical play.   Gaudette appears to insist on the play being physical.   

Either he has improved a ton or Canucks got very lucky he was available with fifth round selection.  When chosen, he was very far off the radar.

7 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

However, if anyone who actually watched the game versus trying out a weak troll game thinks that OJ looks (or looked) slow needs to learn how to watch hockey.   He plays to the pace of play AND more impressively sets it.

Where is this "slow" stuff coming from anyway? Some comment earlier in the thread?

I can't imagine anyone coming away from that game thinking Olli is slow. Unless they're talking about how he slows the game down with his poise, vision, and awareness.

Juolevi moved the puck very quickly and never looked rushed because of the speed of his decision making. And he also showed off some impressive skating speed. There was a play where an opposing forward (I think Carcone) had a partial break and Olli closed a 15-20 foot gap through the neutral zone in a blink of an eye and caught the guy and disrupted the chance before he could cross the blue line. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Where is this "slow" stuff coming from anyway? Some comment earlier in the thread?

I can't imagine anyone coming away from that game thinking Olli is slow. Unless they're talking about how he slows the game down with his poise, vision, and awareness.

Juolevi moved the puck very quickly and never looked rushed because of the speed of his decision making. And he also showed off some impressive skating speed. There was a play where an opposing forward (I think Carcone) had a partial break and Olli closed a 15-20 foot gap through the neutral zone in a blink of an eye and caught the guy and disrupted the chance before he could cross the blue line. 

Yup.  Slow comment was from a comment AllGood was responding to...I have seen others in trollish fashion (including one idiot who claimed OJ had gotten "fat" over the summer and had a "big belly" or some other crap) try as well.   Like many have said, kid is NOT flashy.    I contend that is a good thing.

22 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Sutter will be long gone by the time Pettersson and Gaudette are truly ready to take over full time roles as center. Gaudette may have to do a year or so at wing or 4th line center but Sutter is only signed for 3 more years after this one and he can be traded in 2 years plus the Sedins may even be gone after this year.

Pettersson

Horvat

Gaudette

Usually I try to have low expectations but the chances of this actually being a really good trio down the middle for us is looking good.

I think what we do with Sutter will really depend on how Gaudette and Pettersson take the reins, and how quickly they do. I'd rather keep Sutter around as back-up, he's a gritty veteran two-way center and those kids won't be able to jump straight into top PK responsibilities. Sutter's still only 28 so can probably still play well into his early 30s. I'd much rather keep him around as more of a leader on our third line than let him walk. If there's a possible trade for a young guy or defenceman then absolutely, go for it, but I think someone like Sutter to this team's future is a lot more valuable than people think.

Realistically there'll probably be a nice overlap between all the centers, similar to what we're seeing right now with Horvat and Henrik Sedin. In his contract year at 30-31, Sutter will most likely be our 3rd line center and we'll have one of Gaudette or Pettersson slowly taking his ice-time. They won't be in their prime yet, but they'll be taking some (not all) of Sutter's responsibilties. I wouldn't mind re-signing Sutter as a 4th line center veteran at 31 for a year or two purely as a shutdown PKing 4th line center to help with the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think what we do with Sutter will really depend on how Gaudette and Pettersson take the reins, and how quickly they do. I'd rather keep Sutter around as back-up, he's a gritty veteran two-way center and those kids won't be able to jump straight into top PK responsibilities. Sutter's still only 28 so can probably still play well into his early 30s. I'd much rather keep him around as more of a leader on our third line than let him walk. If there's a possible trade for a young guy or defenceman then absolutely, go for it, but I think someone like Sutter to this team's future is a lot more valuable than people think.

Realistically there'll probably be a nice overlap between all the centers, similar to what we're seeing right now with Horvat and Henrik Sedin. In his contract year at 30-31, Sutter will most likely be our 3rd line center and we'll have one of Gaudette or Pettersson slowly taking his ice-time. They won't be in their prime yet, but they'll be taking some (not all) of Sutter's responsibilties. I wouldn't mind re-signing Sutter as a 4th line center veteran at 31 for a year or two purely as a shutdown PKing 4th line center to help with the playoffs.

My mind set is that Petersson comes in when physically ready which could be when Sedins retire next year. Hopefully Gaudette goes pro then and replaces Sutter after a year in Utica.

Its truly incredible what Benning has one with every position. You can really see our main core coming together!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

My mind set is that Petersson comes in when physically ready which could be when Sedins retire next year. Hopefully Gaudette goes pro then and replaces Sutter after a year in Utica.

Its truly incredible what Benning has one with every position. You can really see our main core coming together!

Tbh I doubt they retire next year. I think they play another few years to see this thing through with the young swedes and up and comers. Likely in a 2nd then 3rd line role and well reduced contracts.

If they are smart about it they might catch on our resurgence year ala toronto and edmonton this year.

If we can grab a game breaker rookie at the top of next years draft we are well on our way.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

If we magically get the first overall pick next year and draft Dahlin it would almost complete this core. Imagine having our first overall pick ever, and then drafting our first ever true #1 defenseman in the same year? :wub:

• Upvote 2

I see Gaudette being our future 2nd line C

Pettersson Horvat Boeser

Goldobin Gaudette Granlund

Baertschi Sutter Virtanen

Gadjovich McEwen Lind

Palmu Zhukenov Lockwood

Juolevi Stecher 

Tryamkin Gudbranson 

Hutton Brisebois

McEneny Subban

Demko

Greig

Depietro

13 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

This exact play stuck in my mind too. He is going to be one heck of a dman. I can't wait to see him play with NHL calibre players. I think he's going to make the team this year, or he will at least make it very hard on the team to say no. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Hortankin said:

I see Gaudette being our future 2nd line C

Pettersson Horvat Boeser

Goldobin Gaudette Granlund

Baertschi Sutter Virtanen

Gadjovich McEwen Lind

Palmu Zhukenov Lockwood

Juolevi Stecher 

Tryamkin Gudbranson 

Hutton Brisebois

McEneny Subban

Demko

Greig

Depietro

Not a fan of Dahlen? I dont think Petterssons game is suited to the wing at the pro level.