The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

Our centre and defensive depth will be key to beating out the Oilers and Flames in the coming years. We may never have a Crosby or McDavid as we finish bottoming out but guys like Pettersson, Horvat, Gaudette, Sutter, Juolevi, Stecher, Gudbranson and hopefully a Dahlin would allow us to compete with favourable matchups. 

I'm hoping Gaudette can be Kesler 2.0; a player who can matchup against top opposition forwards and play above water 5v5, but also able to contribute on the powerplay.

• Upvote 2

On 03/10/2017 at 4:51 AM, Zoolander said:

That 3rd line would wreak havoc.

I like to think that would be comparable to a 2011 line of Torres-Kesler-Hansen.

Gadjovich as Torres with a scoring touch and an edge but more composed. Gaudette who's already been compared to Kesler in play style (let's hope he meets that potential) and Virtanen as a bigger Hansen who skates fast, is a hound on the puck and a strong wrist shot.

This is of course assuming that these guys all pan out very well. If they do, it's pretty enticing. 

Edited by Bigturk8
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

Our centre and defensive depth will be key to beating out the Oilers and Flames in the coming years. We may never have a Crosby or McDavid as we finish bottoming out but guys like Pettersson, Horvat, Gaudette, Sutter, Juolevi, Stecher, Gudbranson and hopefully a Dahlin would allow us to compete with favourable matchups. 

I'm hoping Gaudette can be Kesler 2.0; a player who can matchup against top opposition forwards and play above water 5v5, but also able to contribute on the powerplay.

In the past, teams have won without superstars on D or in the forward positions.  New Jersey and Carolina come to mind.  Recently, however, LA (Doughty), Chicago (Keith and Kane) and Pittsburgh (C and M) have all had superstars. With Edmonton, Toronto, Chicago, and Pittsburgh looking pretty good this year: more superstars.  Not sure we can generalize, but it is noteworthy that teams have won without the McDavid/Keith types.  New Jersey and Carolina did, however, have good goalkeepers, excellent team play and considerable depth.  No reason we can't have what the latter had: Demko looks promising, the depth is building and Green looks like he can be a team builder. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gameburn2 said:

In the past, teams have won without superstars on D or in the forward positions.  New Jersey and Carolina come to mind.  Recently, however, LA (Doughty), Chicago (Keith and Kane) and Pittsburgh (C and M) have all had superstars. With Edmonton, Toronto, Chicago, and Pittsburgh looking pretty good this year: more superstars.  Not sure we can generalize, but it is noteworthy that teams have won without the McDavid/Keith types.  New Jersey and Carolina did, however, have good goalkeepers, excellent team play and considerable depth.  No reason we can't have what the latter had: Demko looks promising, the depth is building and Green looks like he can be a team builder. 

New Jersey: Scott Neidermayer and Scott Stevens?

Carolina: Eric Staal had 45 goals and 100 points that season. They were also stacked with Allstar veteran leadership with guys like Rod Brind'Amour, Doug Weight and Mark Recchi - all of them have scored more than 1000 points in their careers and were still producing at this point. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

New Jersey: Scott Neidermayer and Scott Stevens?

Carolina: Eric Staal had 45 goals and 100 points that season. They were also stacked with Allstar veteran leadership with guys like Rod Brind'Amour, Doug Weight and Mark Recchi - all of them have scored more than 1000 points in their careers and were still producing at this point. 

Stevens and Neidermayer were good, I forgot about Niedermayer.  I don't recall him carrying the scoring load that Doughty and Keith have done recently in the playoffs, but I'll grant you that he and Stevens did do something akin to what Boston did with Chara.  Carolina was good but not great, not Kane or Crosby great anyway.  Brodeur and Thomas were probably more important to their teams than Fleury/Murray or Crawford. I suppose I was thinking more of offensive hockey, which can be a narrow standard now that  I think of it. 

I think a lot of us saw the Carolina Cup run as an upset.  If there are no upsets -- and the length of the playoffs suggests there may not be -- then your point is well taken.  Some of the key Carolina players did not continue on with stellar careers the way that the players from Chicago, Pittsburgh and to some extent Boston have, so I think it's easy for a lot of us to simply overlook the Carolina achievement.  Similar to Calgary's cup win, long ago: the team was on average older when it finally won.  The teams like Edmnonton and Chicago (and Pittsburgh, earlier) who win when the core is very young are easier to remember, not least because they often win more than one cup.  

4 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

I'll be watching Gaudette live next weekend in Rochester and will post what I think of him after seeing him play in person.  Looking forward to the game. 

Brilliant - I'll appreciate those updates very much. Hopefully this time next year we're talking about him contending for a top six role with the Comets... love this guy from what I've seen so far.

13 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

I'll be watching Gaudette live next weekend in Rochester and will post what I think of him after seeing him play in person.  Looking forward to the game. 

my girlfriend's cousin is playing for r.i.t.  keep an eye out for #17, a lanky center/right wing. let me know how he does. 

Edited by tas
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, tas said:

my girlfriend's cousin is playing for r.i.t.  keep an eye out for #17, a lanky center/right wing. let me know how he does. 

I will. It's RIT's home coming weekend (Brick City Weekend) and they play downtown where the Rochester Amerks play instead of the smaller on campus arena.  Always a crowd of 10K+ and a great time.  Chris Tanev played at RIT.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

I will. It's RIT's home coming weekend (Brick City Weekend) and they play downtown where the Rochester Amerks play instead of the smaller on campus arena.  Always a crowd of 10K+ and a great time.  Chris Tanev played at RIT.  

for sure. 

my cousin-in-law got a scholarship this past summer after spending 4 years in the ajhl, the last 3 of which he was a point per game player, so he joins the team as a 20 year old freshman. he's definitely a very long shot to ever get a sniff at pro, but his family is pretty excited that the game has afforded him an opportunity to get an education at a well respected business school. 

• Upvote 4