The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lukas Jasek | RW

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’ve think I’ve always said third liner. No reason to change that opinion. Two-way, speed and energy guy, with the skills to make good plays, maybe some 2nd unit PP, and hopefully some PK (he’s still working on that part but I think he could become a great penalty killer).

EDIT: re: the Trinec GM, it was really strange at the time. You had a kid that wanted to play CHL. I’m sure it happens but I’ve just never heard of another team saying “sorry kid but you can’t leave.” And then, to add insult to injury, they played him sporadically and like 5-7 minutes a game with zero opportunities. 

I know it was very strange how he was handled over there. Borderline ridiculous. In any case i'm not complaining because the kid has an absolute fire in his tummy right now. I know you and I have talked about the Hansen comparison, but I really like the way he is trending since he come over. I hope he has a great playoffs. He's got the style of game to be very effective in the post season. No quit motor, chippy, can score, beauty.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’ve think I’ve always said third liner. No reason to change that opinion. Two-way, speed and energy guy, with the skills to make good plays, maybe some 2nd unit PP, and hopefully some PK (he’s still working on that part but I think he could become a great penalty killer).

EDIT: re: the Trinec GM, it was really strange at the time. You had a kid that wanted to play CHL. I’m sure it happens but I’ve just never heard of another team saying “sorry kid but you can’t leave.” And then, to add insult to injury, they played him sporadically and like 5-7 minutes a game with zero opportunities. 

well we can always use a guy like that. 

I wonder why the GM was being such a dick? makes no sense. Oh well, sounds like LJ is making up for lost time anyway. 

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well we can always use a guy like that. 

I wonder why the GM was being such a dick? makes no sense. Oh well, sounds like LJ is making up for lost time anyway. 

I think part of it was that they really valued him as a junior and put a lot of time into him. When I dug around, I’d find him in lots of their promo material and photo ops when he was younger. So they probably hoped they’d keep him in their system long term.

Not sure why they ended up underusing him. Some of it was just that he wasn’t quite ready for Extraliga and was too good for U20, so he didn’t fit well. It’s also possible they were playing hardball with him and punishing him a bit after he asked to leave for the CHL.

Also, from what I’ve gathered, the Czechs don’t tend to play their youngsters too much at the pro level (and IIRC the league actually forces them to ice a minimum number of developing players—so lots of kids get the 5 minutes treatment).

Anyway, water under the bridge now. :) 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

So a little support for the research I’d done on the contractual issues (and how there really wasn’t an issue):

Guy’s a freelancer but he’s written for IIHF.com.

You were always right on this it seems!

21 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I know it was very strange how he was handled over there. Borderline ridiculous. In any case i'm not complaining because the kid has an absolute fire in his tummy right now. I know you and I have talked about the Hansen comparison, but I really like the way he is trending since he come over. I hope he has a great playoffs. He's got the style of game to be very effective in the post season. No quit motor, chippy, can score, beauty.

Man if he could become anything close to Pastrnak (dreaming I know).  One thing I have noticed about Czech players is that they typically seem to play with passion.  I remember watching the Czech team play Canada in the Olympics and they played an edgy and aggressive game.  No backing down or shying away from contact.   

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Man if he could become anything close to Pastrnak (dreaming I know).  One thing I have noticed about Czech players is that they typically seem to play with passion.  I remember watching the Czech team play Canada in the Olympics and they played an edgy and aggressive game.  No backing down or shying away from contact.   

Extraliga gets pretty physical as well. Many of their playoff games rival NHL playoffs for intensity and general extracurriculars. Lots of hitting, nasty stick work, scrums, and fights (actually probably more fights than the NHL playoffs). Same can be said for most European leagues these days. It's not the old days where coming to North America was a real eye opener for European players. Today, the guys who've played in the top Euro elite leagues have experienced more than their share of the rough stuff.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 3

23 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

For anything said on HF Boards regarding the Canucks, take the opposite as truth.  It's uncanny the accuracy.  If they were to ever start complimenting Benning or being positive about the team, I would get very concerned.

Aren't most posters on the Canucks HFBoard just closet Coilers, Lames and Laffs fans?

• Upvote 2

Nice piece from Botchford on the Jašek saga, with direct quotes from Benning, Walsh (agent), and Jašek himself confirming much of what we already knew (at least if you’re a regular reader of this thread) about Jašek’s journey:

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-jasek

I’ll quote the whole article in a minute here. Well worth the read.

20 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yup. Grabner is a heck of a comparable for a skater, especially when it’s coming out of JB’s mouth.

Also just loved this part:

“He reached out to us at the end of (the 2016-17) season,” Walsh said. “He said ‘Listen, I’m locked into this contract. I don’t have an out to play major junior. I don’t know why this was thrust on me.

“‘I want out of here. It’s my dream to play in North America.’”

I knew Jašek really wanted to be here and that Trinec was holding him back, but that “I want out of here” quote is pretty strong. Obviously he couldn’t fully speak his mind until the contract finally came through and he was fully free of the Czech system.

But man, those have got to have been some tough years for Jašek. Basically a slave to a contract he didn’t want any more and just watching helplessly as better development options (like major junior) passed him by. 

Credit to Jašek for staying strong and focused and when his chance finally came, rising to the occasion and willing himself to an ELC on the quality of his play during this AHL tryout.

One thing that sucks, if the Czechs run things like the Swedes do, that $240K transfer fee will get split between Liberec and Trinec. I’d much prefer that Trinec didn’t see a cent of that money given what they put this kid through.

The Grabner comparison made me excited. I loved Grabner, and really wished we didn't trade him. I don't know what they were thinking with that one. Every time I watched Grabner he was not only fast, and a scoring threat with a good shot, he made all the good subtle defensive plays...always being on the right side of the puck and not being a liability. If Jasek can be the next Grabner, sign me up! No pressure eh :)