The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lukas Jasek | RW

11 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah probably.

One poster over there is pushing a story that Benning has tried and failed several times over the past year to get a contract done on Jašek and Liberec has blocked him at every move.

This doesn’t really add up (at least from what I know).

Most likely, they’re conflating Liberec with Trinec (who were pretty uncooperative with Vancouver and Jašek when it came to him pursuing options over here).

But Trinec was the club that pretty much “owned” Jašek since he was a young kid, and had him under a junior contact from well before he was drafted. So it’s quite likely that his deal with them didn’t include a termination clause. His deal with Liberec was signed as a free agent (as far as his status in the Czech league) and while he was under the NHL Draft rights of the Canucks. I’d expect both Vancouver and Jašek made sure he had a out clause in his new deal.

So I’m pretty suspicious of the information being pushed over at HFBoards (when it comes to Jašek).

But it does fit into the whole “Dim Jim” narrative that the dominant group on HFCanucks seems to be enamoured with.

I suspect that these HF posters have just cobbled together some bits and pieces from various facts and opinions, plus a whole lot of speculation and fiction, and created a story to get people worried that Jašek might not get signed and that our “inept” GM is somehow botching the situation.

Personally, I think it’s a just matter of when, and not if, JB signs Jašek an ELC.

And I don’t think there’s going to be much (if any) issues getting him out of that Czech contract.

The sad thing is, I was kidding.

Then I went over and perused some of the comments about it and yes.  They firmly believe that Liberec has Benning over a barrel because obviously Jasek is going to be a solid 3rd line player but Benning gets no credit for drafting him as even a blind squirrel finds a nut from time to time and once a contract is signed it will be a huge over payment

It's actually really sad reading how these people try to find fault with everything they do

• Cheers 1

Jasek has had a really nice start. Sid mentioned during the season that he has had cool spots on his ppg and yet that really has not come into play in Utica. Fingers crossed that the Comets can have a nice Calder run. The experience for all the prospects would be a real development bonus. 

I don’t know this guy but I like what he’s saying. Apparently he’s a “scout” for DobberHockey. I’m not sure what that entails. I suspect that if I really wanted to, I could also become a “scout” for Dobber but maybe I’m underappreciating the quality of their staff. Anyway, I hope he’s right. Would love to see Jašek signed this summer and competing for a spot at next year’s camp.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I don’t know what happened above but the quote tags are all messed up and the post just ate one of my quotes. 

Anyway, the following quote should have been included:

“I wanted to play in the CHL,” Jasek told Canucks Army. “The Canucks wanted (that) also, to watch (me) play there”. “I still have contractual obligations to HC Trinec for another season” Jasek continued “of course, I tried to persuade my general manager to allow (my participation in the Import Draft) but without success”.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

On 2018-04-18 at 12:41 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I don’t know what happened above but the quote tags are all messed up and the post just ate one of my quotes. 

Anyway, the following quote should have been included:

“I wanted to play in the CHL,” Jasek told Canucks Army. “The Canucks wanted (that) also, to watch (me) play there”. “I still have contractual obligations to HC Trinec for another season” Jasek continued “of course, I tried to persuade my general manager to allow (my participation in the Import Draft) but without success”.

that GM must be a real peach. Where would you see Jasek fitting in eventually in the NHL? 

23 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

that GM must be a real peach. Where would you see Jasek fitting in eventually in the NHL? 

I’ve think I’ve always said third liner. No reason to change that opinion. Two-way, speed and energy guy, with the skills to make good plays, maybe some 2nd unit PP, and hopefully some PK (he’s still working on that part but I think he could become a great penalty killer).

EDIT: re: the Trinec GM, it was really strange at the time. You had a kid that wanted to play CHL. I’m sure it happens but I’ve just never heard of another team saying “sorry kid but you can’t leave.” And then, to add insult to injury, they played him sporadically and like 5-7 minutes a game with zero opportunities. 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Alexandre said:

Heard on AM 650 On Point with Randip Janda and Perry Solkowski that the Canucks have signed Jasek to a 3 year ELC.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-sign-forward-lukas-jasek-entry-level-contract/

Congrats to Alexandre on getting breaking the news in the Jasek thread. Appreciate the heads up. Good news after the disappointing OT loss for TPS Turku today.

But not exactly a surprise. Jasek has earned a contract. I expect he will be in Utica next year where he could one of the stars on a very good team.

I don't know how many times I have seen someone say that a prospect could be "like Hansen" or "like Burrows" -- guys who came out of nowhere to be very good NHL players. I try to avoid it and most times it turns out to be way off the mark.

But Jasek does have some similarities to Hansen and is close enough to the NHL that he might have a shot. It is still a lot less than 50-50 that reaches Hansen's level but, like Hansen, he has excellent speed, is willing to drive the net, works very hard at both ends of the ice and can potentially kill penalties. He is the same height as Hansen but needs to add some weight and strength if he is going to contribute to physical game at the level of Hansen, And both good shoot R.

• Upvote 1