The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lukas Jasek | RW

35 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

You are aware that Motte played 3 years for the university of Michigan and had 104 points in 107 games?

He has now played 187 NHL games.  He looked great in the last playoffs.  He was rewarded with a raise and a new 2 year deal from the Canucks.

Lukas Jasek has absolutely zero chance of replacing Motte on the Canucks any time soon. 

Also, Jasek is only 2 years younger than Motte.  His window to ever play in the NHL will start to close soon.

Read my last post on this so I don't have to repeat myself please - regardless of how appealing it sounds to replace Motte with a less physical Motte...lol.

Ummmmmm.... I don't believe he ever suggested to replace Motte with Jasek.  /rant

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/20/2020 at 6:11 PM, fanfor42 said:

Lol some funny responses.  Having travelled in Europe and watched hockey there, it is a fact that the level of play is not always that high. Translating to the NHL is a stretch. I have family and friends who are playing or have played in Europe the NHL the AHL the USHL the Dub and BCHL.  I  have personal experience with kids trying to make careers in hockey during their 20s in a number of leagues.

Jasek was a 6th round pick.  In the last 15 years the total NHL games played by all Canuck 6th round picks combined is 11.

Jasek is ranked about 15th best Canuck prospect.

Jasek has played 125 AHL games and is 23. He is a half point a game in the AHL. Not bad but not great.

Jasek ends his ELC at the end of this season. That is a time when decisions are made by NHL clubs.

He is not a candidate to replace Mac or Motte or Virt right now. He is currently not as good as someone like Baertschi who is on the outs. Jasek is currently no threat to make the Canucks top 6 and as a bottom 6 candidate I don't see the argument for him to be a front runner. If others do why? He is a guy who will likely play in Europe for his career . He has good top 6 skill in a league less than the NHL.  He is not a grinder or banger.

Of course the Canucks have had Gaudette Bieksa and Hansen as later round success stories. But statistically Jasek  has about a 5 % chance of making it as an NHLer.  I don't mind people following the lesser Canuck prospects. In fact I really enjoy people finding info and posting it about our prospects.  However  people should use a dose of reality when assessing Canuck prospects.  Canuck fans can learn and grow as a fan base as can any team's fans.

Jasek is  very much a long shot. Nice kid. Wish him well but likely a fireman. Lol. Oh and the teams going to the bar is a real thing that happens there.  These are young guys having fun.  The towns come out and support them (without Covid).  But it's not all great hockey.

I hope my comments are taken on face value.

Cheers.

FF42

I agree Jasek is a long shot.  You forgot about the most exciting Canuck drafted in the 6th round in 1989.

Round six[edit]

Pick # Player Position Nationality NHL team College/junior/club team
106 Dan Lambert Defense 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada Quebec Nordiques Swift Current Broncos (WHL)
107 Bill Pye Goaltender 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Buffalo Sabres Northern Michigan University (WCHA)
108 Dave Burke Defense 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Toronto Maple Leafs Cornell University (ECAC)
109 Dan Bylsma Right Wing 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States Winnipeg Jets Bowling Green State University (CCHA)
110 David Emma Right Wing 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States New Jersey Devils Boston College (NCAA)
111 Tommi Pullola Left Wing 23px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png Finland Chicago Blackhawks Sport (Finland)
112 Scott Cashman Goaltender 23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.pn Canada Minnesota North Stars Kanata (COJHL)
113 Pavel Bure Right Wing 23px-Flag_of_the_Soviet_Union.svg.png Soviet Union Vancouver Canucks CSKA Moscow (USSR)

3 minutes ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

I agree Jasek is a long shot.  You forgot about the most exciting Canuck drafted in the 6th round in 1989.

)

But Bure retired in 2003, 17 years ago, so fanfor42's "last 15 years" still holds true

24 minutes ago, Googlie said:

But Bure retired in 2003, 17 years ago, so fanfor42's "last 15 years" still holds true

20 minutes ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:

Me bad, I miss the 'last 15 years".

And in the last 15 seasons we have total of 48 games played by 2nd round Canuck draft picks from those respective years, so logically you can deduce that Demko and Hoglander will also be busts... :rolleyes:

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

And in the last 15 seasons we have total of 48 games played by 2nd round Canuck draft picks from those respective years, so logically you can deduce that Demko and Hoglander will also be busts... :rolleyes:

Yes, claiming that a player "...has zero chance..." solely because of his draft position is pretty silly. 

And of course this nonsense started when a quality poster was kind enough to post some new factual content about Jasek.

Then one of the other kinds of posters (evidently a "realistic fan") responded by describing the factual, informative post as "hyperbole".

And stating that Jasek is not worth discussing or analyzing because he is a lower draft pick who is playing in Europe. Very "realistic".

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Yes, claiming that a player "...has zero chance..." solely because of his draft position is pretty silly. 

And of course this nonsense started when a quality poster was kind enough to post some new factual content about Jasek.

Then one of the other kinds of posters (evidently a "realistic fan") responded by describing the factual, informative post as "hyperbole".

And stating that Jasek is not worth discussing or analyzing because he is a lower draft pick who is playing in Europe. Very "realistic".

Dear Lumme  - I have noticed that over and over again you  don't discuss hockey you simply attack other posters.  This is  a classic example of passive aggressive behaviour.

Look, I have posted my opinion that I don't see Jasek having much of a chance making the Canucks.  My opinion is based on experience with players I have known who have been on similar career paths as Lukas. I have also pointed out that he is not even ranked in the top 15 Canuck prospects currently, is already 23 and will likely spend his career in Europe. My point is that our fan base would do well to be more discerning when evaluating prospects.  Many other posters share this point of view.

It would be great if you would engage on the content rather than pretending to be a good guy who has pom poms out for all Canuck prospects - then attack people for posting their arguments.  This is a fan forum.  It is supposed to engender discussion. 

How about you tell me why I am wrong on my assessment of Jasek and leave out the personal commentary.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Dear Lumme  - I have noticed that over and over again you  don't discuss hockey you simply attack other posters.  This is  a classic example of passive aggressive behaviour.

Look, I have posted my opinion that I don't see Jasek having much of a chance making the Canucks.  My opinion is based on experience with players I have known who have been on similar career paths as Lukas. I have also pointed out that he is not even ranked in the top 15 Canuck prospects currently, is already 23 and will likely spend his career in Europe. My point is that our fan base would do well to be more discerning when evaluating prospects.  Many other posters share this point of view.

It would be great if you would engage on the content rather than pretending to be a good guy who has pom poms out for all Canuck prospects - then attack people for posting their arguments.  This is a fan forum.  It is supposed to engender discussion. 

How about you tell me why I am wrong on my assessment of Jasek and leave out the personal commentary.

Why would I tell you that you are wrong? Do you seriously believe that I or anyone else here doesn't already know that Jasek is far from a lock to ever see more than a handful of NHL games? 

The point is, I come here to see what is going on with our prospects, from posters who pay much closer attention to them than I do. It was nice to see that Jasek is doing well lately, and a few posters discussed the fact that he appears to more effective playing at center. 

And then I get to your long condescending posts, rife with phrases like: "....Sorry to say....Over analyzing low level draft picks....hyperbole...people should use a dose of reality."

What exactly was the over analyzing and hyperbole of which you speak? The closest I saw to hyperbole was one poster suggesting that Jasek might, eventually become a Beagle replacement. Wow, throw a bucket of cold water over that guy.

One thing I didn't see from you was any discussion whatsoever about Jasek as a player. Just an endless belaboring of the obvious, the facts that he is not one of our top prospects and that late round draft picks seldom make the NHL. Guess what, we already know that.

When you jump into a thread where fans are mildly pleased that one of our long-shot prospects is doing well lately, and you drop in a big load of negative, condescending drivel like:"....Sorry to say....Over analyzing low level draft picks....hyperbole...people should use a dose of reality.",  you really shouldn't be surprised when you get a negative response.

• Cheers 4

On 11/23/2020 at 7:40 PM, fanfor42 said:

You are aware that Motte played 3 years for the university of Michigan and had 104 points in 107 games?

He has now played 187 NHL games.  He looked great in the last playoffs.  He was rewarded with a raise and a new 2 year deal from the Canucks.

Lukas Jasek has absolutely zero chance of replacing Motte on the Canucks any time soon. 

Also, Jasek is only 2 years younger than Motte.  His window to ever play in the NHL will start to close soon.

Read my last post on this so I don't have to repeat myself please - regardless of how appealing it sounds to replace Motte with a less physical Motte...lol.

Yes, I am aware of Motte's background, are you? Before Motte made to the NHL, he played in the AHL.  During those 60 games he got 18 goals and 8 assists for 27 points playing for Rockford and Cleveland.  How does that not compare with Jasek's production in the AHL last season: 56 games 14 goals 13 assists.

Did I say he was going to replace Motte? What we need is for people like Jasek to replace OVERPAID players in our bottom six: Beagle, Roussel, Eriksson, and Sutter. If we are going to carry high paid young stars (Pettersson, Hughes) will be coming up for new contracts and we will pay through the nose to keep them. in our top six we have to find the cap space by economizing on players in the bottom six, which means that we need to develop them. This has already started with MacEwen AND the guy you brought up - Motte.

Your example helps to establish MY point.

• Vintage 1

51 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Why would I tell you that you are wrong? Do you seriously believe that I or anyone else here doesn't already know that Jasek is far from a lock to ever see more than a handful of NHL games? 

The point is, I come here to see what is going on with our prospects, from posters who pay much closer attention to them than I do. It was nice to see that Jasek is doing well lately, and a few posters discussed the fact that he appears to more effective playing at center. 

And then I get to your long condescending posts, rife with phrases like: "....Sorry to say....Over analyzing low level draft picks....hyperbole...people should use a dose of reality."

What exactly was the over analyzing and hyperbole of which you speak? The closest I saw to hyperbole was one poster suggesting that Jasek might, eventually become a Beagle replacement. Wow, throw a bucket of cold water over that guy.

One thing I didn't see from you was any discussion whatsoever about Jasek as a player. Just an endless belaboring of the obvious, the facts that he is not one of our top prospects and that late round draft picks seldom make the NHL. Guess what, we already know that.

When you jump into a thread where fans are mildly pleased that one of our long-shot prospects is doing well lately, and you drop in a big load of negative, condescending drivel like:"....Sorry to say....Over analyzing low level draft picks....hyperbole...people should use a dose of reality.",  you really shouldn't be surprised when you get a negative response.

Ok pal lol. Well I have my answer. You are only interested in attacking posters not discussing hockey. Once again you have made no attempt  to discuss why I believe Jasek won't make it.  I will move on and you can feel terrific. You are a credit to all passive aggressive sycophants.

32 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Yes, I am aware of Motte's background, are you? Before Motte made to the NHL, he played in the AHL.  During those 60 games he got 18 goals and 8 assists for 27 points playing for Rockford and Cleveland.  How does that not compare with Jasek's production in the AHL last season: 56 games 14 goals 13 assists.

Did I say he was going to replace Motte? What we need is for people like Jasek to replace OVERPAID players in our bottom six: Beagle, Roussel, Eriksson, and Sutter. If we are going to carry high paid young stars (Pettersson, Hughes) will be coming up for new contracts and we will pay through the nose to keep them. in our top six we have to find the cap space by economizing on players in the bottom six, which means that we need to develop them. This has already started with MacEwen AND the guy you brought up - Motte.

Your example helps to establish MY point.

First of all thank you for actually talking hockey.  Unlike people like Lumme who are simply interested in attacking other posters in every communication.

I don't agree with you however.  Jasek is rated too far down the list to ever realistically be in contention.  He is already 23.  I predict he plays one more year in the AHL whenever that starts again.  Then he goes to Europe for his career.

I agree with you however that giving young prospects shots in today's NHL is absolutely critical to a team's success. Key is to draft and develop them and put  them in the position that talent bubbles to the top.  Jasek in my humble opinion isn't that guy. Fully 15 Canuck prospects are ranked ahead of him. 

We are lucky that we will see an influx of young talent onto the team in the next 2 to 3 years. That is definitely worth looking forward to. Podz, Hogz, Rath, Raff, Juo, Lind all coming up.  Of the remaining guys there are some interesting possibilities as well. Great to see.

2 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

First of all thank you for actually talking hockey.  Unlike people like Lumme who are simply interested in attacking other posters in every communication.

I don't agree with you however.  Jasek is rated too far down the list to ever realistically be in contention.  He is already 23.  I predict he plays one more year in the AHL whenever that starts again.  Then he goes to Europe for his career.

I agree with you however that giving young prospects shots in today's NHL is absolutely critical to a team's success. Key is to draft and develop them and put  them in the position that talent bubbles to the top.  Jasek in my humble opinion isn't that guy. Fully 15 Canuck prospects are ranked ahead of him. 

We are lucky that we will see an influx of young talent onto the team in the next 2 to 3 years. That is definitely worth looking forward to. Podz, Hogz, Rath, Raff, Juo, Lind all coming up.  Of the remaining guys there are some interesting possibilities as well. Great to see.

How many of those 15 prospects or any of the players you listed there project as a possible 4Cs with Beagle likely gone in two years?

28 minutes ago, aGENT said:

How many of those 15 prospects or any of the players you listed there project as a possible 4Cs with Beagle likely gone in two years?

Correct me if i am wrong but I don't believe Jasek  played C in the AHL or in the Czech league other than a handful of games this year?

If so it's a big question mark if he can ever transition to an NHL Centre is it not? 

I agree with your insinuating that the nux have a hole coming up at Centre.  Focht and Costmar are ranked as possibilities.   Zhukenov if he is still a prospect and Zlodeyev are likely no go's. So we are going to have a need. Luckily 4th line C not the hardest position to fill with a UFA or trade. Outside chance but still probably more realistic than Jasek at 4C is Hawryluk or even Mac. No?

6 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Correct me if i am wrong but I don't believe Jasek  played C in the AHL or in the Czech league other than a handful of games this year?

If so it's a big question mark if he can ever transition to an NHL Centre is it not? 

I agree with your insinuating that the nux have a hole coming up at Centre.  Focht and Costmar are ranked as possibilities.   Zhukenov if he is still a prospect and Zlodeyev are likely no go's. So we are going to have a need. Luckily 4th line C not the hardest position to fill with a UFA or trade. Outside chance but still probably more realistic than Jasek at 4C is Hawryluk or even Mac. No?

Marc Michaelis is another potential 4C. Has the makings of a good PK option too.

8 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Marc Michaelis is another potential 4C. Has the makings of a good PK option too.

Good point. I have to admit I haven't seen him play.  Not dismissing him but at 25 with only college experience and 5 foot 10 I gotta think on face value he is a long shot for the NHL.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Jašek played the majority of last year at centre for the Comets. I believe he made the switch full time around December last year, and stayed at C for much of the remainder of that season.

This year, in the Czech league, he played the first 3 games back at RW, but has been a centre for the past 8 GP.

He was also a centre as a younger teenager, but that’s not all that unusual for the more talented kids, and was developed as a winger through his middle and later teens.

I watched a lot of Jašek in the Czech leagues and, to be honest, I was not convinced at first that he had the makings of a centreman. Both Liberec and Trinec would try him, at times, down the middle, but I always got the sense that he’d overthink his positioning and responsibilities, and that took away from some of his bread and butter play, as a winger. He’s a good skater and as a RW he’d fly up and down the ice. As a C, he’d tend to hang back, and look to cover his for linemates, which made him dependable defensively, but took away some dynamism from his offence. He’s also really aggressive along the wall, as a winger, and plays like a dog on a bone, especially for a guy with a rather slight build (or at least who was quite skinny for many years—he has bulked up since), but seemed to be less engaged, and almost a little timid, as a centre, which again took away from one of the areas where he brings value to the ice.

So, it took me a while to really get on board with the idea of Jašek being a great fit for the centre position. I was a doubter for quite some time. But his success last season, in Utica, started to bring me around to the idea. At some point, it seems like things just kind of clicked for Jašek, and he found a way to get really comfortable at C, grow into the position and it’s responsibilities, while also finding a way to bring in most of the elements of his game that made him successful as a winger. And that’s only continued with his return to Trinec, where the move to C has coincided with a nice little hot streak, and he’s been posting some very encouraging possession stats, and faceoff numbers, in addition to solid points, while being deployed in a 3rd line checking role.

At this stage of his development, I’m having to rethink some of my earlier impressions. I’m still not quite sure whether or not he’s a “natural centre,” but he’s starting to look like a pretty damn good converted C. And he’s finding success in a defensive/checking role, which actually bodes quite well for his chances, as the bottom-six is probably his best opportunity to catch on, if he ever does in Vancouver.

I’m more optimistic that you, regarding his chances. I’d say maybe around a 25% chance he at least gets a look at some point with the Canucks. Of course, I’ll admit some of this is bias. I’ve followed this kid a long time and I really like his game. Saw some real potential in him as a teenager. And he’s made a couple leaps that most kids of his draft profile never make. The first, just getting signed. The second, becoming a regular AHLer and finding success at that level. The next leap is a huge one (getting to “The Show”), but I think he has a chance.

It also helps that he has Allan Walsh as his agent. He switched agents back around 2017, and things really started clicking at that point, after him languishing through some dark days in the Trinec system. Made the switch to Liberec. Earned regular icetime and found some success. Earned his NHL ELC. And came across the pond and again found success at the AHL level. I think Walsh will continue to help open doors for Jašek. But, of course, it will ultimately be his talent that will decide how much higher he rises as a hockey player.

I wouldn’t count him out, though. Jašek had a ton of drive and he’s already been through some really rough years (Trinec ****ed him around pretty bad) and he never gave up on himself. He’s been tested, and has found ways to succeed. He’s a really hard working, motivated kid, and I believe he has the mental wherewithal to make it where many others might fail.

I’m not penciling him in just yet, as the Canucks’ future #4C. You’ll find that my posts on the main board are much more conservative, when it comes to projecting young players into the lineup for the big club. But over here in the prospects forum, we deal in upside and potential, so we’re usually a little more optimistic about these kids. Especially since they are “our kids.” I usually try to remind people that most prospects are “long shots.” It’s just the numbers game, and most (other than the absolute cream of the crop) just never pan out as NHLers. However, when it comes to the “long shots,” I still like Jašek’s chances better than most. I’ve seen enough from him to be a real believer in his potential, and to know better than to ever count him out. It will not surprise me if he ends up surprising many Canucks fans, and coming “out of nowhere” to become a decent NHL player one day.

Great read. Awesome.

9 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Ok pal lol. Well I have my answer. You are only interested in attacking posters not discussing hockey. Once again you have made no attempt  to discuss why I believe Jasek won't make it.  I will move on and you can feel terrific. You are a credit to all passive aggressive sycophants.

What is there to discuss? You haven't said a single word about Jasek's play, and it sounds like you have never paid any attention to him and know nothing about him at all. You just created a straw man argument for the obvious purpose of trolling the fans.

Nobody here was using any hyperbole about Jasek, despite your claim. And everybody here is already well aware that late round draft picks seldom make the NHL, which seems to be the only point you have to make. You got a couple of posters to bite, but I am not interested in dealing with straw men. Troll somebody else.

I was a bit bored last night and went onto AHLTV and watched the Comets game in Toronto from last season (Nov. 30th). I was impressed with Jasek as at center.  He is also a good PK'er as well.  Adam may have some competition for the third line Center spot.  I was never all that high on him but he was very good at center.  Adam needs to improve his defensive game and he also needs to put on 10 pounds of muscle. B)

Edited by dpn1