The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tate Olson | D

saucypass

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 11:53 AM, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Just about doubled his point production from last year in 3 less games. 5-19-24 in 68 games last year, and 9-38-47 in 65 this year. That's some very solid post-draft progression.

Also, can any of the Cougars fans here elaborate more on Jansen Harkins? Statistically he took a serious step back this year, what gives? I also see he has a brother eligible for the draft in 2019 (born on Boxing Day in 2000)...already 6"2 and 190 pounds as a d-man and played a game for PG this year. I'm intrigued on this alone.

Yup he has also really taken some massive steps forward in regards to his defensive game. After being a -13 last year something which many fans held against him he finished a +16 this season that's a turn around of +29!!!. I know +/- isn't the best stat and can be influenced by other factors but in this case it's really a good indicator of just how much he's improved. He's also played with much more of an edge which led to him to 90 PIM'S 21 more than last year. He really took a leap forward in all areas on a team that played about the same if not slightly worse than last year.

I went into this year expecting Olson would match his numbers from last year and possibly improve slightly upon them and maybe pick up his defensive game a bit. Man he really blew away all expectations I had for him. Not to mention he's a great guy off ice as well.

Now onto the enigma that is Harkins this season. He's not playing bad per se he just has brutal luck this year when it comes to points. He's definitely playing more physical this year though and he seems to be working on his 2 way game as well. His goal total this year is close to what it was last year which is good but he's not getting as many assists. This isn't due to him not playing as good but rather a change in how he's playing. I've noticed Harkins playing a more physical game with less emphasis on playmaking this year.

As an aside I'd love to see the Canucks take Anderson he's really a solid physical defensive defenseman. Oh and happy birthday Tater

Also really looking forward to seeing how he does in the playoffs. The cougars dropped perfectly into the only position where they have a chance in round one. If the cougs dropped to the second wildcards Victoria (106 pts 50 wins )would proceed to dismantle them in a few games. If they pulled up into 3rd in the BC then Kelowna (100 pts 48 wins) would be waiting likely with the same result. Now with a first round match up against Seattle ( 94 pts 45 wins) a team that the cougs have played pretty good against there might be a chance for them to upset. If Olson and co can bring their A game then it should be one hell of a great series.

9 hours ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

What are the odds of him signing a PTO with the Comets? With Biega and Pedan up with the Canucks they might be able to use the help.

Yeah it will be interesting to see what, if any, reinforcements the Comets get from our junior prospects seasons ending... Might be best to ask in the Comets thread but we probably won't know much until it happens.

2 hours ago, J.R. said:
2 hours ago, J.R. said:

Yeah it will be interesting to see what, if any, reinforcements the Comets get from our junior prospects seasons ending... Might be best to ask in the Comets thread but we probably won't know much until it happens.

I'm not sure Green would use him ...if you recall he sent Hutton home while they were still in the play-offs and told him he best spend his time in the gym. Green likes to go with the guys that got him there and there is some merit to that.

6 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I'm not sure Green would use him ...if you recall he sent Hutton home while they were still in the play-offs and told him he best spend his time in the gym. Green likes to go with the guys that got him there and there is some merit to that.

Absolutely! On the other hand, he had more warm bodies last year too. His depth has been highly challenged this season and he might just welcome some.

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Absolutely! On the other hand, he had more warm bodies last year too. His depth has been highly challenged this season and he might just welcome some.

Amongst other thing there's likely a lot on money on the table, but first they have to qualify ::D

According to Thomas Drance in http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks-prospect-report-march/ ,

"The Canucks have decided not to sign Olson to an amateur tryout deal with the Utica Comets, which would allow him to make his American League debut this month. The club’s thinking is that Olson is a bit too young and would be better served getting an early start with off-season workouts."

Tate turned 19 just 2 weeks ago. “He’s got a chance to be an NHL player,” Canucks general manager Jim Benning told Sportsnet of Olson this weekend.

On 2016-03-22 at 2:46 PM, Big Mike said:

Unrelated note if anyone here's at the games in Seattle or PG if you see a tall guy with a red beard in an Olson jersey feel free to chat me up :towel:Go Cats Go

:( only one person in Seattle took me up on this I am disappoint.

Stay tuned in the next little bit I'll provide a thorough  summary of his season including the playoffs and my final thoughts on his season this year. I meant to do this earlier but I've had a lot of stuff going on lately and haven't had the time

While Im at that anyone interested in hearing a summary/thoughts on other Cougars players seasons?

15 minutes ago, Big Mike said:

:( only one person in Seattle took me up on this I am disappoint.

Stay tuned in the next little bit I'll provide a thorough  summary of his season including the playoffs and my final thoughts on his season this year. I meant to do this earlier but I've had a lot of stuff going on lately and haven't had the time

While Im at that anyone interested in hearing a summary/thoughts on other Cougars players seasons?

Is there anyone worth drafting in rounds 3-7? 

What does Josh Anderson project to?

• 4 weeks later...

In recent years, the last pick of the drafts have had NHL success.

Palat, Lundqvist come into mind. Hopefully Olson's one of them! Might be a long shot though

Archived