The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks will likely bargain-bin shop

NHL'er

The player that would have the most bang for their buck would be Christian Ehrhoff.

Sure he's not the same player he was 4 years ago, but he's familiar with the team and the players, most importantly the Sedins. A big problem we had last season was getting the puck up the ice quickly. Which Ehrhoff knows how to do.

After an average season, I could see him taking a cheap 3 mil dollar contract in order to boost his value. What better way to do that than play with the Sedins for a season?

GOOD. There aren't really any players in free agency that I want right now over our homegrown prospects. And besides, free agents are ALWAYS expensive and paid top dollar due to bidding wars, free market etc. No thank you, not this year. The only free agents I'm kind of interested in, because I think they can make an impact as well as be at a fair price are Mike Santorelli and Cody Franson. That Nashville stint can only lower their dollar value, and we've seen what a guy like Santo can do when motivated to play back home in front of his family. However that would require multiple trades to make room for young guys and them. Plus, don't really see Franson as that likely with both Clendening and Corrado banging on the door for the 2RD and the 3RD spot.

Our only glaring need is a stud #1 d-man for the future other than that...

I agree with most here in that we need roster spots for the young guys.

Moving a few veterans out to obtain more young talent is the way to move forward.

I'm alright with a few top 10 picks in upcoming drafts whether they are our own picks or obtained from others.

Making the playoffs, getting the #23 pick and then being beaten by the Flames who trade their much better #1 pick for a young stud d-man really hisses me off.

Free Agent signings are usually costly mistakes.

Minnesota learned that with Vanek last year. Stastny was average after signing his huge deal.

Benning got the best signing in Vrbata. Mike Ribeiro was a steal for Nashville as well.

Your post reminded me of this very funny Vanek slam article: http://www.hockeywilderness.com/2015/3/25/8286855/minnesota-wild-thomas-vanek-speaks-out-against-sloth-shaming-some-is-good-effort-lazy-advocacy-group :lol:

Don't think Kuzma makes a whiff of sense here, which is fitting that it's published in the Province.

Edler, Tanev, Hamhuis, Sbisa, Weber, Stanton, Corrado, Clendening.

What is this talk of a bridge D while Hutton develops?

What is the point of moving Bieksa to make space for Clendening and Corrado, so that they're not lost on waivers - to then go into the free agent market and sign a RHD like Cody Franson - or anyone else for that matter, when adding to the blueline would mean losing a key prospect to waivers?

Perhaps a versatile veteran depth center like Santorelli and a goaltender for Utica, but even were Bieksa to be moved before July 1st, if another D was not also moved, Kuzma's thinking makes no sense.

Corrado and Clendening aare not ready to be in the top 4. They'll likely start out as 7th or 8th depth guys and move in and out of the lineup.

We still need someone for the top 4 if we ship out Bieksa.

That's fair. I for one would welcome a Cody Franson if he wanted to sign here. He is a good fit. But I also think you're underestimating Dan Hamhuis. In my opinion, the thing that makes Dan Hamhuis such a valuable player, is his ability to play with pretty much anyone. Generally speaking, whoever he plays with game elevates. Sometimes to a large extent, and sometimes to a small, but generally speaking, he elevates the guy next to him, even when he's struggling. For example, When he played with Bieksa, and Tanev, or even when he was paired with Sbisa or Weber.

I for one, would love to see a Hamhuis-Clendening pairing. This year, Clendening was just thrown into the system mid season as an injury relief player. I think he played smart reliable D, and generated some offensive chances. If given a couple weeks before the season starts to jell with Hamhuis, they could be a GREAT top 4. Clendening was the AHL defensman of the year. He just needs to get in the grove with his partner.

I would love to see

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Clendening

Sbisa-Corrado.

I think they could be an unexpectedly good group. Still though, if we can afford the contract, which will most likely be bloated due to free agency, I wouldn't mind

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Franson

Sbisa-Clendening

(Corrado as the 7th man)

Corrado and Clendening aare not ready to be in the top 4. They'll likely start out as 7th or 8th depth guys and move in and out of the lineup.

We still need someone for the top 4 if we ship out Bieksa.

Do the math. With Bieksa - 9 defensemen, without, it's still

Edler, Tanev, Hamhuis, Sbisa, Weber, Stanton, Corrado, Clendening.

If you want to add to those 8, you are going to have to deal someone else as well, or subject someone to waivers.

Archived