The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks will likely bargain-bin shop

NHL'er

Do the math. With Bieksa - 9 defensemen, without, it's still

Edler, Tanev, Hamhuis, Sbisa, Weber, Stanton, Corrado, Clendening.

If you want to add to those 8, you are going to have to deal someone else as well, or subject someone to waivers.

Four of those guys don't have contracts.

It's likely only one of Stanton or Weber get re-signed. That leaves us with 7 D-men if Bieksa is traded. Still need one more. ;)

What exactly are we expecting, though? If the Canucks struggle out of the gate should they tank?

The local competition has gotten too strong, and our ability to compete in the playoffs has fallen off a cliff ever since the cup run. I think the only people that want to see us in the playoffs are the owners so they can help pay off the salaries of Gillis, Tortorella, Luongo, Ballard, Booth etc. Other then that, its pretty damn clear we should be tanking to get replacements for the Sedins who will probably retire in a few years.

The only reason we should sign high-end UFAs is to trade them for draft picks at the trade deadline. Stockpiling picks should really be our number one priority at this point.

Four of those guys don't have contracts.

It's likely only one of Stanton or Weber get re-signed. That leaves us with 7 D-men if Bieksa is traded. Still need one more. ;)

I think they will qualify and sign those two, but assuming they let one of those guys walk which plan would they then go with?

The Deniro wait until after free agency to raise Bieksa's price plan?

The wait and raise Bieksa's market value after free agency isn't going to work with your 'they'll need someone for the top 4' plan. What return are you prepared to accept before free agency if you intent is to pursue a top 4? And if that's your plan what top 4 are you proposing they sign btw, and to what terms?

If that's not the case, and pursuing a top 4 is not in the cards, what's the point of letting those guys walk? Who do you propose to upgrade them with from the cheap free agent market, because without Bieksa's cap space to use, that's what you're limited to and in either event?

With all due respect to Kuzma and people who think free agency provides many options, there are a few guys like Green, Martin, Sekera and Franson and a whole lot of aged, declining assets that aren't really options. There are a few guys like Irwin or Schlemko, a few debatable upgrades at the bottom end of the price range, and a lot of guys that are not. Imo it will be a player's, not a shopper's market. Getting value and decent terms out of this FA defensemen market won't be easy and probably a significantly larger risk to depend on free agency than signing the players whose rights they hold.

You may as well change your target from an unrealistic prospect like Rychel to a roster hockey trade, particularly if you're talking the CBJ, who have a full complement of players under contract (13 forwards, 2 RFA forwards, and 8 D) otherwise you're spending assets after free agency to replenish the one you just dealt.

I'd probably just opt to start the season with what we have instead of overspending on the UFA market.

We'll see, but I'm curious to hear an actual gameplan without contradictions, because the demand will significantly exceed the quantity of assets available and if you plan to try to milk as much value out of Bieksa after free agency, you're limited to a depth signing regardless, when you claim they'll need something for their top 4.

Ok, so assuming Bieksa is gone, we're left with a defense of Hamhuis, Tanev, Sbisa, Edler, Clendening, Corrado, Weber, and Stanton.

Aside from Sbisa and Stanton, we got no toughness at all on D. I'm worried that it's going to be open season on Miller this upcoming season, with teams like the Ducks and Kings crashing our crease with reckless abandon. If this happens Miller would be getting injured for sure, and there goes our season, especially if Markstrom isn't ready.

Perhaps it might be a good idea for Benning to go after a #5-#6 defenseman that provides some toughness, and helps protect our goaltender. I know that we got Pedan in Utica, but I imagine that he's still at least a year away from being ready.

Only two UFA's I'm interested in are Richardson/Santorelli. I do think Baertschi/Santo/Vrbata could do some good.

Me thinks JB sees alot of rookies being close to ready and wants to see if they can come into camp and steal spots. It's been a long time coming for Corrado/Clendenning so they best seize the opportunity they have. Grenier it sounds like is a little closer to ready than Guance but I'll be really interested in how those two look. If Virtanen has a great summer he could be exactly what the bottom 6 needs. Heck if two of the three (Virt/Grenier/Guance) end up make the team that could give the Canucks that 'energy' and fore check they need.

Jim Benning is working his way through a process and it is what it is because of past neglect and too many NTC's.

There is light at the end of the tunnel and honestly what is the worst that could happen? We get some high draft picks next year.

I think our Utica boys showed we have a chance of drafting some players into the team from the likes of Gaunce, Shink, Grenier, Jensen Pedan, Virt, Bart, Freisen, Archie, De Fazio, Jensen, Clendening, Corrado and maybe even Zalewski and O'Reilly.

I think we may surprise a few people next season. Let's face it these guys write the same garbage about the Canucks every year. Not one of them owns their comments at the end and not one of them seems to feel a responsibility to be level headed. They are just vultures imo and deserve to be ignored.

I think we hang onto Weber and upgrade Stanton free agent wise unless we are stuck with Bieksa then whatever cheap D man we can get and left Stanton and Weber go!

Stanton and Weber are fine players, both have grit and I would in fact favour both over Clendening who has still to convince me he has what it takes.

If you want to add to those 8, you are going to have to deal someone else as well, or subject someone to waivers.

Don't forget Pedan may show up well in pre season and I think we will try to hold onto Biega.

The player that would have the most bang for their buck would be Christian Ehrhoff.

Sure he's not the same player he was 4 years ago, but he's familiar with the team and the players, most importantly the Sedins. A big problem we had last season was getting the puck up the ice quickly. Which Ehrhoff knows how to do.

After an average season, I could see him taking a cheap 3 mil dollar contract in order to boost his value. What better way to do that than play with the Sedins for a season?

If this is the only move we make I'll be happy.

Corrado and Clendening aare not ready to be in the top 4. They'll likely start out as 7th or 8th depth guys and move in and out of the lineup.

We still need someone for the top 4 if we ship out Bieksa.

And may not ever be top 4.

I don't get why people and JB are so excited about this group, it's all just so....meh. The last 4 names above are guys you play until you get good players.

Archived