The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ferraro likes the direction of the Leafs and wonders about Canucks and Bruins

http://www.tsn.ca/video/ferraro-loves-the-leafs-new-direction-1.324000

I've always respected what Ray has to say about things. He strikes me as a very intelligent person.

If he's confused about the Canucks how are we supposed to feel?

I somehow feel ownership must be interfering with things as it is true, we don't have a clear identity. It's as if we want to battle for an 8th place playoff spot which ensures we don't get a high draft pick each year.

I think we need to blow it up, not "retool" as I hear so often.

Thoughts?

I don't get the 'ownership is interfering' argument. It makes no sense for the Aquillini's to force Benning to make the Canucks a playoff team so he can make 3-4 extra games of revenue. Ticket sales, jerseys, etc. from a short playoff run won't amount to much at all. If he really wanted to make money why wouldn't he just make the Canucks a cap floor team? He'd save almost $20 million by doing so (look at Ottawa).

Does he really make more than that in a short playoff run? I doubt it. The Aquillini's are businessmen and they have invested so much into the Canucks I don't see them telling Benning what to do. If they were in this just for the money why would they have invested hundreds of millions into buying an AHL team (Utica Comets), a new locker room which is one of the top in the NHL, and other miscellaneous costs to help the Canucks get an advantage over the other team (sleep doctor, etc.). I'm sure our ownership wants to see the Canucks succeed as much as the fans do.

What I am confused about is the direction that Benning seems to be taking. The Lack trade I can live with because we had to trade a goalie (I think it should have been Miller or Markstrom but that's not the point). Benning got the best offer he had and took it. He drafted the guy he wanted so we'll wait to see how that pans out. The Bieksa trade I was okay with because it got us a 2nd round pick in a draft that Benning has stated to be deep. What doesn't make sense to me is the Kassian trade and the Weber/Bartowski signings. Sure, Kassian hasn't been doing well but is Prust all we could have gotten for him? And we had to add a 5th as well? Why not keep the younger Kassian as a fourth liner with offensive upside over the fourth line grinder? I thought we were trying to get younger, faster, and bigger. We just traded away two young guys (5th round = young guy next year) for a slower 31 year old. Also, when we traded for Clendening and have Corrado in the system but we just signed two guys (Weber and Bartowski) to take their spots on the team? We now have 8 defencemen competing for 7 spots...

I'm assuming that over the summer and throughout the course of the season Benning will be making more moves to stockpile younger players/draft picks. But as of right now I'm not too confident in the direction this team is headed in. I almost miss Gillis not making trades because he wanted to get fair value for our players...

Ya I think the "'re-toolers" on cdc(and there was a lot of them)realise now that was a pipe dream. It's funny so many of us argued that retools hardly ever work, but time and time again the die hard JB fans(and there was a lot of them) told us we knew nothing and they were smarter.

Pretty much what the biggest complaint was. Traded younger and faster for older and slower

It is a confusing message and no matter how much lipstick you put on it, a pig is still a pig. Now I know alot of people hated Kassian but that's no reason to applaud a backwards move. A pick in 2016 would have been better opening a spot for Virt/gaunce/whomever to easily try out. Now we have a spot filled for the season..

There are those that are confident that Benning will make room if Jake (for example) makes the team but we are again asking for crappy returns when we have to make a trade and other teams know it.

i feel like were going for a top 5 pick without admitting it

Yea I feel the same way.

I miss the days when Arthur Griffiths was owner, he was a genuine Vancouverite, and doesnt get the respect he deserves. Owners since then are meddling, and know nothing about how to run a successful hockey team.

Ya I think the "'re-toolers" on cdc(and there was a lot of them)realise now that was a pipe dream. It's funny so many of us argued that retools hardly ever work, but time and time again the die hard JB fans(and there was a lot of them) told us we knew nothing and they were smarter.

are you poking fun at Smithers Joe?

Then why not trade Kassian for a draft pick?

Prust makes us better at this particular moment...

This.

It amazes me how many people think that we traded the great Zack Kassian for some plug that will give us a better chance at getting a higher pick.

IMO we will be better with Prust more than we ever have been with Kassian. In Kass' entire tenure here, he probably showed up to only 20 games at most. In one season, Prust will have given it his all in 82 games (barring an injury).

Pretty much what the biggest complaint was. Traded younger and faster for older and slower

It is a confusing message and no matter how much lipstick you put on it, a pig is still a pig. Now I know alot of people hated Kassian but that's no reason to applaud a backwards move. A pick in 2016 would have been better opening a spot for Virt/gaunce/whomever to easily try out. Now we have a spot filled for the season..

There are those that are confident that Benning will make room if Jake (for example) makes the team but we are again asking for crappy returns when we have to make a trade and other teams know it.

Its not a confusing message if you aren't a simpleton. There is more to building a team then 'simply getting younger'. Not every trade and signing you make is about getting younger, there can be a hundred reasons why they make a trade, and this trade wasn't about getting younger (unless we get a pick out of Prust). Just because you want a pick in 2016, doesn't mean a team is willing to give you one. Kassian wasn't going to get much of anything, his trade value was low and JB and Linden wanted him gone and for many reasons which they said on the radio. This was a minor trade, a minor player for another minor player, nothing to see here. If it was a blockbuster trade, where we trade a big asset like Edler or Hamhuis, then yes, a pick/prospect would be expected in return, but for small stuff like this, no.

Its not a confusing message if you aren't a simpleton. There is more to building a team then 'simply getting younger'. Not every trade and signing you make is about getting younger, there can be a hundred reasons why they make a trade, and this trade wasn't about getting younger (unless we get a pick out of Prust). Just because you want a pick in 2016, doesn't mean a team is willing to give you one. Kassian wasn't going to get much of anything, his trade value was low and JB and Linden wanted him gone and for many reasons which they said on the radio. This was a minor trade, a minor player for another minor player, nothing to see here. If it was a blockbuster trade, where we trade a big asset like Edler or Hamhuis, then yes, a pick/prospect would be expected in return, but for small stuff like this, no.

Educated hockey analysts are confused at what direction the team is taking. Maybe they are all "simpletons".

Are the Canucks really competing for a playoff spot? Are they aiming for a high draft pick? Are they maintaining a pretense of remaining competitive to keep drawing fans? At this point hockey fans are asking the same question. What are the Canucks doing?

Sure there are some Canucks fans that are spinning a narrative that reassures them that this team is heading in the right direction even if they do not yet understand what that direction actually is. I would be concerned as a Canucks fan, its not time to panic yet, but I do think it is time to be concerned.

Problem is they really have no choice but to retool it slower than what they probably want with all the NTC's littering the team. They are trying to transition it as fast as they can. Theyve moved quite a few "now" players and put in place some character veterans to help with the transition period to guide the youth movement.

Not every move is about laterally getting younger even teams like buffalo who went all out tank signed the likes of gionta, moulson and gorges last summer to provide leadership and accountability. They realize as all teams with good management going through rebuilds know you need strong veteran leadership to keep your young players in line and teach them the right way to play and compete. Very few kids are as motivated as a Horvat, Mcdavid or Crosby most need direction and guidance. Just look at Calgary with a leadership group that demands hard work. Edmonton has drafted superior players to calgary but cant hold a candle to them why? its all about the culture and edmonton had none for years.

That is where Edmonton completely failed & Benning is trying to avoid they had no leadership or veterans that controlled the dressing room. The room was run by the likes of hall, eberle at 20 and 21 years. Couple that with rookie coaches and that team was doomed to fail from the get go. In my opinion you cant just scorch the earth blow up every veteran asset you have and then see where you fall even if that is the fastest way to get better on paper players because you lose your culture in the process. I prefer the way Calgary did it and that seems the way Benning is going. Slowly ship off older assets stockpile young players and integrate them into your system & culture.

We should have a few assets this trade deadline to move in Vrbata, hamhuis, weber, bartkowski and possibly higgins. Even if they just move 2 or 3 of those guys at the deadline should net them 3-4 picks which would be huge going into the draft.

I dont think this year this team is a playoff team much like Calgary wasnt in 2013 but i do expect them to compete hard every night like that Calgary team did and we will see where they fall my guess is bottom 5 in the west at this point.

This.

It amazes me how many people think that we traded the great Zack Kassian for some plug that will give us a better chance at getting a higher pick.

IMO we will be better with Prust more than we ever have been with Kassian. In Kass' entire tenure here, he probably showed up to only 20 games at most. In one season, Prust will have given it his all in 82 games (barring an injury).

You better hope the reffs don't have long memories with the Great Prust after his tantrum last playoff.

Archived