- Canucks had a new NHL-rookie coach and assistants

- Edler, Hansen, etc. coming off horrible seasons

- 30% turnover in the roster

- significant injuries to the defence corps

- injury to their #1 goalie for significant time down the stretch

- Horvat, Vey, Kenins were all rookies

- Bieksa was horrible for most of the year

- Baertschi is a far better offensive player than Matthias

There's a lot of positives and upside for the upcoming season, especially with the rookies and Willy having a year under their belts now.

Consider also:

- Canucks had a new NHL-rookie coach and assistants

- Edler, Hansen, etc. coming off horrible seasons

- 30% turnover in the roster

- significant injuries to the defence corps

- injury to their #1 goalie for significant time down the stretch

- Horvat, Vey, Kenins were all rookies

- Bieksa was horrible for most of the year

- Baertschi is a far better offensive player than Matthias

There's a lot of positives and upside for the upcoming season, especially with the rookies and Willy having a year under their belts now.

I am not sure I completely see the point. I think the idea is that the Canucks has some bad luck or other problems last year and this year should be better.

I am not sure that is convincing. First of all, I don't think having WD as a "rookie" NHL coach was a negative. He is an extremely experienced coach and one the most respected coaches in the game when it comes to working with young players. And he was obviously vastly better than Tortorella. I expect him to be good again this year, but I expect to take a very similar approach. I don't see that he had a bit learning curve to go down.

Edler was coming off a bad season the year before, as were several others, and had a big bounce-back under WD. I don't see how that suggests that 2015-16 will be better than 2014-15.

I don't see how the injury to Miller hurt the team. Lack outplayed Miller after taking over -- at least that is what the save percentage says, And he had a tremendous run of three star selections along with several "stolen" wins and loser points. Lack is now gone. That does not seem to me to make the team better. And it is not clear how well Miller will recover from the injury. Last I heard it was still bothering him. And he may be prone to re-injury. And Lack is no longer around to back him up.

Yes I do, in fact. Sounds like you have a day trader mentality, whereas big (and real) business is about building and the long-term. That's why I asked -- are the Aquilinis in it to flip for a quick buck, or are they looking at building a business that is profitable for many years to come. Do you think they built their empire by gouging for short-term pennies or invested for future and sustained dollars?

This is the same meme that keeps going around -- that ownership has "mandated" that the Canucks make the playoffs no matter what. It is without basis and completely fabricated. If there is evidence for it, it has never been shown.

You're wasting your time arguing with these Howe Street hacks, there Swift.

What these guys like the hockey nut who think Aquillinis are worried about short term profit don't understand is that an enterprise like CSE can monetize guaranteed forward revenue streams in a variety of different ways for its benefit that will easily off-set any revenue loss due to drop in attendance. The Aquillinis, being as smart businessmen as they are, probably have an insurance wrap in place that allows empty seats to actually generate them profit (lets see if the hockey nut can wrap his day trading brain around this one). And they seem to forget that there is such a thing as equity value of the entire enterprise, which is valued at what? Oh right $800 million...something the Aquillini family paid $200 million for.

Rich tv contracts, sponsorship and other media deals are lost with all these day traders. The Canucks are the beneficiaries of local and national TV deals, so they are generating revenue from every schmo who watches the game from the comfort of their easy chair in their family room. Why is Bettman trying so hard to save Arizona? And why are there teams in markets like Sunrise, Tampa Bay, Raleigh and Long Island? Because these markets add up to large TV markets that advertisers and sponsors will still pay hundreds of millions of dollars for the right to peddle their wares. From a bottom line perspective, it doesn't matter if these buildings are empty (it sucks perception wise because it "looks" bad and every hockey fan wants to see arenas filled).

I LOL everytime I read the argument that the Aquillinis will refuse a full re-build because they are "afraid of losing money". CSE is part of the Aquillini Investment Group, that is made up of real estate development, energy/power generation, commercial farming and now hospitality. If the Aquallini's want to recoup a loss in $5M in ticket revenues, all they have to do is build another condo/commercial tower anywhere along the Pacific Coastline, or strike power purchase agreement to install 50 MW of wind turbines in SE Asia.

It's like Terry Pegula stated - "I don't care if the Sabres make money or not. If I want to make money, I'll just go and frack another oil well." Anyone who thinks the Aquillinis are any different have no idea what makes these sports franchise owners and ownership groups tick.

Aquillinis want a team that wins because they are vain. They don't want a loser franchise. A loser franchise to most ownership groups is defined as the Edmonton Oilers of the past 10 years.

Canucks are 2-3 years from seriously competing.

Once our young players get in, we're gonna rock.

Horvat, McCann, Cassels, Virtanen, Baer, Hutton, Demko, Boeser, Shinkaruk.

I actually wouldn't mind Stewart playing D. Edler, Stewart, Hutton. That's a jumbo sized left side D.

Or perhaps Edler, Hutton, and Cederholm and Stewart can alternate from forward to D depending on need.

I LOL everytime I read the argument that the Aquillinis will refuse a full re-build because they are "afraid of losing money". CSE is part of the Aquillini Investment Group, that is made up of real estate development, energy/power generation, commercial farming and now hospitality. If the Aquallini's want to recoup a loss in $5M in ticket revenues, all they have to do is build another condo/commercial tower anywhere along the Pacific Coastline, or strike power purchase agreement to install 50 MW of wind turbines in SE Asia.

It's like Terry Pegula stated - "I don't care if the Sabres make money or not. If I want to make money, I'll just go and frack another oil well." Anyone who thinks the Aquillinis are any different have no idea what makes these sports franchise owners and ownership groups tick.

Aquillinis want a team that wins because they are vain. They don't want a loser franchise. A loser franchise to most ownership groups is defined as the Edmonton Oilers of the past 10 years.

You LOL at people who think the Aquilini's are afraid of losing money but then go on to suggest successful businessman such as the Aquilini's should make one of the biggest business mistakes in the books. You don't have to have taken a business degree to know you don't prop up a company losing money with money from one of your successful businesses. It's bad business.

Who cares what Terry Pegula stated? Donald Trump is a successful business man too and he says some pretty stupid sh!t.

Finally, how would you know if the Aquilin's are vain? I'd ask if you knew them but clearly you don't by your inabilty to spell their name correctly.

Why are you saying we need young elite offensive talent? That is completely wrong.

We have no promising defensive prospects. We need a stud defenseman.

This one might be a shocker, but... We need both.

You LOL at people who think the Aquilini's are afraid of losing money but then go on to suggest successful businessman such as the Aquilini's should make one of the biggest business mistakes in the books. You don't have to have taken a business degree to know you don't prop up a company losing money with money from one of your successful businesses. It's bad business.

Who cares what Terry Pegula stated? Donald Trump is a successful business man too and he says some pretty stupid sh!t.

Finally, how would you know if the Aquilin's are vain? I'd ask if you knew them but clearly you don't by your inabilty to spell their name correctly.

In this context its more like using your wealth to try and do anything it takes, financially speaking, to make a winning team in the future, for various non monetary reasons. Different kind of context.

i can't say that i'm hockey wise, but for me, i'ld rather we traded for d-men who are farther developed...ie, clendening.....if we can pull a calgary next year and pick up shattenkirk, our defense will be strong enough to wait for young d's to mature..

i had 2 players i wanted with that first pick...chabot and boeser...chabot was gone...so imo, benning solidified our rw position for the future..

The question is "Do You?" Because if you do not fear loosing money, you have never owned a business, my friends and I are constantly watching and reviewing, and even though we enjoy our money very much, we do not like loosing it! How about you, do you like loosing it or something?

losing not loosing.

Point is the Aquilinis (sorry for my misspells there, spelling cop) have CSE set up so that it doesn't matter if there are empty seats in Rogers Arena. Obviously you didn't get the point about other sources of revenues that are both hockey and non-hockey related that will near guarantee that CSE will make money. Rest assured that the Aquilinis have taken the measures to ensure that whether or not a seat is filled or empty, it generates the exact same amount of revenue for them. It's clear you wouldn't understand the idea of creating revenue surety so read up on how insurance wraps work. And go and try to understand what it means to have guaranteed revenue streams as collateral for standby letters of credit that can be monetized, which is what CSE is doing to keep the franchise operating.

CSE is worth $800 million and is growing. A 10% drop in attendance is the absolute worst that will happen (because Vancouver is a hockey town). Such a drop in attendance will have marginal impact on the rate of growth of the equity value of the franchise and CSE and cash flow generated because of surety measures the Aqualinis have in place.

The biggest threat to CSE is the drop in the Canadian currency, but even that is minimized because of currency hedging strategies that CSE employs.

All of this is obviously way over your head, so I can see why you're squeezing your sphincter thinking that the Aquilinis won't go full re-build because to you that will result in a drop in attendance, merchandise sales, and other peripheral sales opportunity which automatically equates to "losses" which is far from reality.

Yes I do, in fact. Sounds like you have a day trader mentality, whereas big (and real) business is about building and the long-term. That's why I asked -- are the Aquilinis in it to flip for a quick buck, or are they looking at building a business that is profitable for many years to come. Do you think they built their empire by gouging for short-term pennies or invested for future and sustained dollars?

This is the same meme that keeps going around -- that ownership has "mandated" that the Canucks make the playoffs no matter what. It is without basis and completely fabricated. If there is evidence for it, it has never been shown.

I get the impression that FAQ wants a cup as bad as anyone in this town. After 2011 he didn't look like someone counting the millions from sales. He looked like someone poisoned his dog.

Canucks are 2-3 years from seriously competing.

Once our young players get in, we're gonna rock.

Horvat, McCann, Cassels, Virtanen, Baer, Hutton, Demko, Boeser, Shinkaruk.

I actually wouldn't mind Stewart playing D. Edler, Stewart, Hutton. That's a jumbo sized left side D.

Or perhaps Edler, Hutton, and Cederholm and Stewart can alternate from forward to D depending on need.

I think that the Canucks are 2-3 years from their young players starting to play and make an impact. As far as seriously competing, maybe a couple of years after that. Once they are in the league we will be seeing growth and improvement.

That is the thing about right now in this transition period, we're not seeing the growth and improvement and it makes people nervous. It is coming but in order to see it, these prospects must actually be in the league.

What worries me is Aqualli's "possible" fear of short term financial loss.....can't blame him, it's not my money, but it doesn't seem too far to reach, to have a strong team for the future, and a working plan going forward.......like I said, I see this as a half full problem, and very short term.....we have all the 2nd, 3rd and 4th liners we need, and with the acquisition of a very few pieces, we will all be happy again, very soon!

I guess it all depends on where the Boss's see us now, but that's my thoughts on it!

I feel that this fear of losing money is a red herring.

Acquilini is not afraid of investing in the future and I think he really has his eye on the big prize, the Stanley Cup.

As long as he's buying into the plan and can see that progress is being made, he must be happy. Acquilini is not afraid to spend money to achieve his goals. Remember what he has spent on:

• Purchase of Utica Comets in 2012
  • Buyout of Gillis with 4 years remaining on contract
  • Buyout of Tortorella with 4 years remaining on contract
  • Spending to the cap

I really don't believe that trying to be a play off team is about the money because they have spent on things that don't have a direct impact on the bottom line. These things are investments in the future. Having a playoff team is all about development of young players. They want the Canucks to be competitive and they want the Comets to be competitive.

Drafting is difficult and you can't have a lot of control over where you draft. Ask the Buffalo Sabres. My point is that you can have a lot of control over how you develop and that is where the focus of CSE and Benning and Co is. It's about investing in the future.

Point is the Aquilinis (sorry for my misspells there, spelling cop) have CSE set up so that it doesn't matter if there are empty seats in Rogers Arena. Obviously you didn't get the point about other sources of revenues that are both hockey and non-hockey related that will near guarantee that CSE will make money. Rest assured that the Aquilinis have taken the measures to ensure that whether or not a seat is filled or empty, it generates the exact same amount of revenue for them. It's clear you wouldn't understand the idea of creating revenue surety so read up on how insurance wraps work. And go and try to understand what it means to have guaranteed revenue streams as collateral for standby letters of credit that can be monetized, which is what CSE is doing to keep the franchise operating.

CSE is worth $800 million and is growing. A 10% drop in attendance is the absolute worst that will happen (because Vancouver is a hockey town). Such a drop in attendance will have marginal impact on the rate of growth of the equity value of the franchise and CSE and cash flow generated because of surety measures the Aqualinis have in place.

The biggest threat to CSE is the drop in the Canadian currency, but even that is minimized because of currency hedging strategies that CSE employs.

All of this is obviously way over your head, so I can see why you're squeezing your sphincter thinking that the Aquilinis won't go full re-build because to you that will result in a drop in attendance, merchandise sales, and other peripheral sales opportunity which automatically equates to "losses" which is far from reality.

I used to think that it was the US predatory lending of the past decade and the subsequent flood of people losing their homes, that a lot of the populace looking at financial professionals with the proverbial jaundiced eye...

...but the level of condescension and outright scorn evident in this post and your previous one, has me thinking otherwise.

It would have been easy to keep both posts focused on germane points, (as you did in paragraphs 2 and 3 of the above post) but you insisted on delivering the message in as insulting a manner as you possibly could, thereby negating anything of worth that might have been contained in your posts, IMHO.

So we trade our vets for picks even if our youngsters aren't ready to fill NHL spots. We have the added bonus of getting a better pick in the next couple drafts, plus the picks from the vets. Win/win right? Only if we don't destroy the youngsters not ready for the NHL yet. Does it matter if we get a late first for Vrbata if it means hampering the development of late firsts Shinkaruk, Jensen, or Gaunce?

Well, to really get into this discussion based on the thread title, I'd first have to believe that things are a "mess", which I don't. The team was a mess in the 70s, the mid to late 90s and Messier years were definitely a mess. The real silver lining is that the old core will be gone and we have great prospects in development. Bright future.

Archived