The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tight checking forward group we have

Lucky Day

Our forwards are looking top to bottom like a 200 Foot Beast, only complete hockey players need apply.

I was reading a clip where the writer argues that the Canucks wont play run and gun offense with

some of our competitors, it's true, we're gonna out battle them on the ice.

I like this lineup...no more wondering if Kassian will show up, or which teams gonna show up

These boys are battle hardened, can't wait to see the effort from Horvat,Prust,Dorsett,Sutter,Sedins,Higgins,Hansen. Good luck finding holes in our scheme.

All character, all battlers

Stop! Bruins had Chara, Ference, Boychuck, Seidenberg as a top 4 against us in the finals. In-fact the reason we lost to the bruins was the defence. If Benning is hoping to make a Bruins 2.0 than maybe he should stop trading away 2nd rounders and start trading for actual defence that will help us in 2 or 3 years.

We will never be a Bruins 2.0 without defence.

Stop! Bruins had Chara, Ference, Boychuck, Seidenberg as a top 4 against us in the finals. In-fact the reason we lost to the bruins was the defence. If Benning is hoping to make a Bruins 2.0 than maybe he should stop trading away 2nd rounders and start trading for actual defence that will help us in 2 or 3 years.

If recall correctly Boston never drafted any of those defenseman.

He has traded for Pedan and has drafted some defense.

One of our 2nds got Baertschi and the other was a late 2nd that got Sutter and we got the earliest of from PIT

Pretty decent post OP. The one thing I agree with and really like with this team is the compete level they'll bring. That could equate to 4-5 wins that you had no business having, and is far more entertaining to watch.

And desi... I'm sure Benning is well aware of the holes in the defence. You can't turn it over in one season. He's done quite a good job IMO with the forwards, this season and next off season I predict he'll be concentrating on the D.

Pretty decent post OP. The one thing I agree with and really like with this team is the compete level they'll bring. That could equate to 4-5 wins that you had no business having, and is far more entertaining to watch.

And desi... I'm sure Benning is well aware of the holes in the defence. You can't turn it over in one season. He's done quite a good job IMO with the forwards, this season and next off season I predict he'll be concentrating on the D.

Yes but, how many losses are going to be equated with this new group?

48-29-5 last year....I don't know, I can't see them repeating that...I see more like 41-34-7....

Maybe it's a good thing that my expectations are way down this year - that way I will either be pleasantly surprised or not disappointed.

Not so sure about Bruins 2.0 but speed, skill and hard to play against. The Canucks are getting there and need a little work on D.

The Bruins to me are still the team that played in the Garden on the tiny ice surface. There was no place to hide from the big bad Bruins.

Canucks will be faster, not necessarily big, but hard to play against.

Yes but, how many losses are going to be equated with this new group?

48-29-5 last year....I don't know, I can't see them repeating that...I see more like 41-34-7....

Maybe it's a good thing that my expectations are way down this year - that way I will either be pleasantly surprised or not disappointed.

My expectations last year were pretty low and it was a huge and pleasant surprise to see us do as well as we did. The amount of youth and roster turnover is more than enough to keep me tuned in this coming season, and if we do well again, I'd be very happy. Realistically though, I think you're right and we'll be on the bubble.

I'm happy with the compete level and two-way ability, especially up the middle (Hank, Brandon, Bo) and the top-9 wingers are solid at least on paper (Daniel, Burr, Sven, Radim, Higgins, Hansen). Prust and Dorsett are solid foot soldiers too, but Linden Vey would not be the 4th line center for a Bruins team, he'd be a winger and I hope he's that for us too on a scoring line or at least on the 3rd. He's got good hustle but he reminds me of Schroeder, too weak to handle the middle.

Another problem I see is that the team may try to play a lumbering style when other teams can also go track-meet style (e.g. Dallas, Calgary, Edmonton, Colorado) and I could see our slower vets struggling to keep up again against young legs. If Trader Jim resolves to play a defense-first style I could see the team on the losing end pretty often, as defensively the group here isn't the most solid. Alex and Chris are solid first-pairing guys, and Hammer's also good all-round, but the Bruins' calling card was toughness and sound defense. Our team is a mediocre mix of puck-moving (mostly Alex and Weber), some physical play (Luca, Hammer) and some good checking in general (Chris, Frank). Of course those would work if we structured the defense like how L.A. did it (tough/ safe guy with puck-mover) and we have that on the 1st pair, but Hammer and Weber better be ready again to play 2nd pair minutes, while Corrado better be the puck-mover or else we might have another Juice-Pizza pairing on our hands (okay in both directions but easily prone to turnovers due to being slightly slow). Lastly, Miller is unstable and he has a ways to go before he can channel his inner Tuukka, and we're counting on Markstrom as the backup. Let that sink in.

He's just a little sore about Bo-sang still. Wounds take time to heal

If the Canucks pull it together until the trade deadline, they can always pick up an experienced D rental. Personally, I would prefer it if we kept our draft picks and focused on the 16-17 season.

This is scaring me, because your post makes sense.

Archived