The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[REPORT] NHLPA files grievance on behalf of Richards for contract termination

elvis15

NHLPA@NHLPA 3h

The NHLPA has filed a grievance on behalf of Mike Richards contesting the termination of his contract by the LA Kings.

I'm sure more will come out on this, and I'll try and add it to the thread, but many of us wondered if there'd be anything filed by Richards or the NHLPA.

EDIT: almost forgot the tag

So Richards' contract is terminated for allegedly trying to carry pills across a border and Kane allegedly raped someone and is still under contract. Interesting, this should add credence to The nhlpa greivence.

Except one is still an allegation, whereas Richards was basically caught red handed, so to speak.

The bottom line is, if the NHL deems Richards is able to play in the NHL still, then the Kings should be stuck with his cap hit.

Anschutz has Bettman by the stones, this will be a long drawn out process involving a lawsuit, a pre-trial followed by backroom deal with a gag order. At least that's the conclusion my cynical thoughts about the NHL being run by a small handful of old rich dicks is leading me to.

Except one is still an allegation, whereas Richards was basically caught red handed, so to speak.

The bottom line is, if the NHL deems Richards is able to play in the NHL still, then the Kings should be stuck with his cap hit.

And what of Voynov? If the Kings are such a Moral organization that the smuggling of prescription drugs across boarders is an instant contract termination how come wife assault convictions are deemed worthy for the team to stand behind their player? Perhaps Richards was caught red handed but there hasn't been any charges laid as far as I have seen, though I may be wrong about that.

When LA loses this, I would expect the NHL to allow a one off sweet heart deal so they can buy Richards out and not have the cap hit.

None the less, the timing of it reeks bad faith and should be penalized but I don't expect this from the old boys club

Termination of contracts should be allowed for extreme cases but it should not be done unilaterally. The NHL should have a committee to determine if it is warranted, otherwise this will occur more and more..

Good, I feel like this is one of the most obvious attempts at Cap Circumvention we have seen since the Salary Cap Era Began.

Worse than this is the trading of players with large contracts who have career ending injuries, i.e. Pronger, Savard, etc.

So Richards' contract is terminated for allegedly trying to carry pills across a border and Kane allegedly raped someone and is still under contract. Interesting, this should add credence to The nhlpa greivence.

And yet you know very little about the detail of what actually happened in either case. We can assume Richards was charged at this point, where we know Kane hasn't been (as yet). Voyonov is a better comparable, even if there isn't as clear cut a policy on abuse within the NHL as there is for drugs.

That this comes on the heels of the Stoll signing is another point that should be relevant as well. Just because he pled down to a lesser charge he's still fit to be signed to an NHL contract. Richards (not knowing what he was charged with) is similarly tagged to illegal activity with drugs and is deemed to be unfit for his current contract and gets terminated.

I agree the Richards termination is very suspect considering other contracts that haven't been terminated for worse, but let's hold off making sweeping comparisons just yet.

It is really strange for the contract to be terminated after Lombardi talked about it being the right thing not to buy Richards out earlier, and then to terminate his contract at seemingly the first opportunity and when they were starting to be in a more significant cap crunch. I do want to see how this plays out and what evidence is presented.

Worse than this is the trading of players with large contracts who have career ending injuries, i.e. Pronger, Savard, etc.

That's simply "getting around" a part of the CBA that was not set up properly.

Why the hell should Pronger or Savard count on anyone's cap? I get the spirit of the 35+ rule, but when the player gets a career-ending injury, it's flat-out ridiculous to make the team carry that year after year.

Why the hell should Pronger or Savard count on anyone's cap? I get the spirit of the 35+ rule, but when the player gets a career-ending injury, it's flat-out ridiculous to make the team carry that year after year.

Because it can lead to shady things where a player gets injured and both the team and player agree that the player will just sit out and retire and call it a career ending injury while they just collect their paychecks off the cap. Front loaded super long contracts now have consequences, what about offering a player his last contract knowing the player doesnt want to stay in the league that long, but saying after ___ its up to you if you want to play or just collect your check. Spread over an additonal year or so it could hugely impact a players cap hit.

Of course Pronger & Savard are truly done in the league, but proving another player does or does not have "issues" may not be as simple.

Savard doesn't have to count on the Bruins cap as he's not a 35+ contract. He could retire whenever he wanted and not impact the Bruins in any way.

I get what you're saying though, but while there are exceptions that could be made the idea of the rule is to have teams be more measured when dealing with players nearing the end of their careers and not sign them to ridiculous contracts that could handcuff them in the event of injury, deteriorating play, or anything else.

Sure, Pronger getting injured wasn't exactly fair as he could have played longer, but would he have played out his contract? Besides, if it was insured, the club doesn't pay any of the salary and his cap hit becomes an exception over the cap with LTI. There isn't much penalty there for the team.

Compare that to the Luongo deal, where the NHL had the opportunity to make a decision on these types of new contracts that weren't foreseen and they let them slide until they got overly ridiculous. Zetterberg and Hossa's deals were both before Luongo's and the NHL let them all stand but chose to penalize them after. Why not make the decision on a grey area of the CBA and say these players cannot be traded? Because they don't want to.

But, here we are again with the NHL allowing teams to pick and choose when they want rules to apply and when they'll let them slide if it gives them an advantage.

Inevitable that the NHLPA was going to file a grievance on behalf of one of its members. What a big surprise.

From a purely selfish perspective, I hope the Kings have to eat the Richards cap hit...put the Kings into cap purgatory for awhile. NHL has always been full of sketchy characters -- from players to owners to agents (Alan Eagleson, anyone?). Can't wait to see how this plays out in the NHL kangaroo courts.

In your words, how is "getting around" any different than cap circumvention? Teams are getting cap relief and allowing other bottom feeders room to get to the cap floor rather than actually spending the money on real players to try to be competitive.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/making-sense-of-the-pronger-to-coyotes-trade/

As per the article;

"What it ultimately added up to is a creative bookkeeping maneuver for both teams"

Archived