The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My 2k bet on Canucks vs Oilers

kill_the_avs2

Todd McLelland is a superstar compared to what the Coilers are used to, but he's hardly in the Babcock, Sutter, Quenville, Bowman league.

Just look at the Sharks record and it's pretty dismal for the talented team they have been. I see an awful lot of 1st and 2nd round exits and not one SC final. I like AV's stats a whole lot better.

Great hair though.

Look at AV's record the last few years was here..its conceivable that his coaching flattered the actual compete/toughness/skill level of the post SC final Canuck teams...Torts brought out the rock bottom reality of how low things can really go.

I think the Mclelland/McDavid combo will be the straw that stirs the Oilers drink...I see them edging us out by a very small margin..I wouldn't do the bet.

Look at AV's record the last few years was here..its conceivable that his coaching flattered the actual compete/toughness/skill level of the post SC final Canuck teams...Torts brought out the rock bottom reality of how low things can really go.

I think the Mclelland/McDavid combo will be the straw that stirs the Oilers drink...I see them edging us out by a very small margin..I wouldn't do the bet.

AV was hands off wrt leadership. The Canucks had a strong leadership group and AV let them lead. This lead to an engaged and responsible team.

Torts works better with a young team because he is an Alpha Dog type coach. He had to be the leader. That was the rationale behind the Calgary dressing room fiasco. He was sticking up for his boys. Since the leadership group that was already in place and no longer allowed to lead as they had done, the results were disasterous.

Todd McLelland is a superstar compared to what the Coilers are used to, but he's hardly in the Babcock, Sutter, Quenville, Bowman league.

Just look at the Sharks record and it's pretty dismal for the talented team they have been. I see an awful lot of 1st and 2nd round exits and not one SC final. I like AV's stats a whole lot better.

Great hair though.

Actually I don't think McLellan is that far off the likes of Sutter or Quenneville.

Considering he's a younger coach, he's already amassed lots of experience as an assistant coach of a NHL championship team under Babcock(Just Like Joel Q was in Colorado under Crow), and quite a bit of success in his own right with San Jose.(Again, like Quenneville in St. Louis and Colorado)

Comparing win totals between Quenneville in Chicago and McLellan in SJ over the past 7 seasons:

----------------------------------------------------------

Quenneville: 536 games coached, 316 wins

McLellan: 540 games coached, 311 wins

--------------------------------------------------------

Very similar stats, nearly identical in fact.

Sharks also made the conference finals in 2 consecutive seasons, and only missed the playoffs once in McLellan's 7 year tenure, which was of course last season.

He might not be as accomplished *yet* as the likes of Sutter or Quenneville or Babcock, but his career is definitely on a similar trajectory so far.

The difference between the Hawks success with Quenneville and the Sharks lack of championship success with McLellan is on the ice imo. Toews v Thornton.

Like I said above, I think you need both leadership on the bench AND on the ice to win cups.

Not to mention:

Kane > Marleau

Crawford >> Niemi

Hossa >>> Pavelski

Keith >>>>Boyle

Ok I'm a huge Canucks fan. I grew up on Van island. Now I've been living in Edmonton for the last 12 years. The history behind the bet is since 2010 season me and my crazed oiler fan best friend have bet 300 season on who was going finish with more points. Now obiously it's been along 5 years for my friend with whom I share season seats in Edmonton. Now as math would tell you I'm up 1500 in the last 5 years. After a few drinks last night he decided that not only he's certain that the oilers will win this season, he's wants to be up 500 after this year. Hence the 2000 wager.

Now after accepting this bet I have minor concerns. Despite contrary beliives, I think Vancouver will be improved this year. We're possibly not better on paper than last but the grit and young talent coming in this year I know we're going in the right direction. Edmonton feels like a huge X factor (mcdavid and that SJ coach) I'm scared the possible AVS factor last to first.

So my question is this... 2000 dollar bet on Canucks vs Oil total season Pts tie break goes to season series... Am I safe? Thoughts?

Go Canucks!

2 grrr is 2 grrr. It's your loot. Love these types of bets myself, yet I don't have the huevos you have to put up 2 grand I think you've made a pretty good bet.

Edmonton is inundated with media and fan hype. Emotion and ego are surely fueling your pals bet advantage you.

Edmonton has made the right changes on paper. Yet they still have to live with what they have on the ice. Sure they scooped McDavid and signed the Rangers backup from last year, but is it enough?

There is no question Edmonton will be better because of the winner they've gotten, finally, in their front office and coaching staff.

This team will be improved with out question.

The question is will they learn how to play and win in this up coming season and make the play offs? I think not.

Defense and goal tending are key here. This is not the Oilers era of old any more. The game has changed. This coming season Edmonton isn't going to get away with simply having a scoring machine, it's their defense and toughness.

Where does Edmonton fit in their western division when it comes to team defense? Hows their transition game going to be? Their coaching staff has to undo and teach old dogs new tricks, even their young players. They'll learn but not with out some losing during the way. Enough losing to keep them out of the play offs and behind Vancouver.

2 grrr is 2 grrr. It's your loot. Love these types of bets myself, yet I don't have the huevos you have to put up 2 grand I think you've made a pretty good bet.

Edmonton is inundated with media and fan hype. Emotion and ego are surely fueling your pals bet advantage you.

Edmonton has made the right changes on paper. Yet they still have to live with what they have on the ice. Sure they scooped McDavid and signed the Rangers backup from last year, but is it enough?

There is no question Edmonton will be better because of the winner they've gotten, finally, in their front office and coaching staff.

This team will be improved with out question.

The question is will they learn how to play and win in this up coming season and make the play offs? I think not.

Defense and goal tending are key here. This is not the Oilers era of old any more. The game has changed. This coming season Edmonton isn't going to get away with simply having a scoring machine, it's their defense and toughness.

Where does Edmonton fit in their western division when it comes to team defense? Hows their transition game going to be? Their coaching staff has to undo and teach old dogs new tricks, even their young players. They'll learn but not with out some losing during the way. Enough losing to keep them out of the play offs and behind Vancouver.

The Oilers picked up a lot more than just McDavid and Talbot. Sekera and Reinhart make a huge difference in their defensive lineup.

If you think the Edmonton defense will have trouble in the West, what does that say about the Canucks defense?

I am among those who believe that Eakins under achieved with his group..the Oilers have the potential to be a powerhouse under McLellan.

Moving from Vancouver Island to Edmonton is a big enough loss already, I am sorry you have to live in a place like Edmonton. That being said, the oilers will still suck, just not as bad :bigblush:

Edmonton is an OK place, I wouldn't move there unless I had a job oppourtunity there- I grew up in Vancouver and lived in Calgary for over a decade and just moved back to Vancouver a couple months ago (Calgary is A LOT cheaper) and I actually already miss Calgary. lol

And yup it'll take at least a couple years for Oilers to pick up ground. With that being said, I think Eberle and Yak will crack the top scoring list throughout the season.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I remember this bet thinking you made a bad bet and the oilers would easily finish ahead of the canucks!  I was wrong there, but now the bet is coming down to the wire with you as a small favourite right now with the canucks having 3 games in hand on the oilers.  Is your friend sweating yet?  Are you sweating yet? :lol:

On 8/20/2015 at 9:56 AM, J.R. said:

It's likely to be a lot closer and far more sphincter tightening than it has been the last 5 years but I think we still squeak it out over the Oilers this season. They're likely, finally on an upswing but there's still young and inexperienced. They'll still have growing pains IMO.

Well I was mostly right ::D Sadly, I'd say it's closer more so because of us sucking/being injured than the Oilers actually getting better though...lol

Archived