The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Extension]. Flames sign D Giordano to six-year, $40.5M extension

tera_ha

Giordano and Wideman will both be 32 next season, so the good thing is the Flames shouldn't have too many prime years left out of this current D-core.

I would think they wanna trade Wideman in the next couple years in order to re-sign Russel.

Trading/packaging Wideman for a younger forward to fit in with their current group makes sense too.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler

_____ - Backlund - Frolik

Ferland - Bennett - Colbourne

Bouma - Jooris - Jones

Stajan

Giordano - Hamilton

Russell - Brodie

Smid - Engelland

Hiller

Ramo

Similarly built like us, a 1st line and 3 3rd lines, but their defence just destroys ours.

So they will let their top scorer and starting goalie walk... Think before you post. Ortio isnt ready for 65 games a season, and none of their young guys not named Monohan or Gaudreau aren't all that good.

Maybe you should think before you talk champ.

Most sports people/ media in Calgary think Hudler will be traded or walk as his age and slow down in skating make a new contract a risk especially given he likely wants a pay day.

I never said Ortio was readyfor 65 games but they certainly won't be spending 8 million dollars on goalies after this year.

And ya Sam Bennett is pretty darn good, not sure how you forgot him they also have a few prospects ready to play in the nhl very soon thus making Hudler expendable.

Calgary now has Brodie, Giordano, & Hamilton locked up long term.

The Flames are potentially going to have Cap problems in 2016/2017 but there are several possible solutions:

- Move pending UFA Jones ($4M) by the TDL for a 3rd or 4th round draft pick.

- Trade Wideman ($5.25M) for a 2nd round draft pick.

- Trade Hiller ($4M) or Ramo ($3.9M) if Orito proves to be an acceptable backup. They are both pending UFAs so they could just let one of them walk.

- Move the unfavorable contracts such as Engelland ($2.916M), Raymond ($3.15M), Smid ($3.5M), & Stajan ($3.125M) for whatever draft picks that are offered.

- Hudler ($4M) and Russell ($2.6M) re-sign at discounts (under $1M raises).

- Gaudreau (ELC) and Monahan (ELC) sign bridge contracts instead of the "$6M for potential" Oiler type contracts.

Hartley really has everyone playing "for the team", so the latter two solutions are certainly possible.

By 2017/2018, all the bad contracts expire so they will be in fine shape Cap-wise by then.

Trading/packaging Wideman for a younger forward to fit in with their current group makes sense too.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler

_____ - Backlund - Frolik

Ferland - Bennett - Jones

Raymond - Stajan - Jooris

Giordano - Hamilton

Russell - Brodie

Smid - Engelland

Hiller

Ramo

Similarly built like us, a 1st line and 3 3rd lines, but their defence just destroys ours.

I can guarantee you that Bouma will be on the roster as will Cobourne.

Cuz Weber, Keith, Doughty, Karlsson, Hedman, etc....certainly aren't good enough to be his peers.

Guy hasn't played a full season since he was 26 years old. He cashed in on a career season, which I give him full credit for. Doubtful he performs at that elite level for multiple seasons.

I guess you just showed up, because 2013/14 was practically a carbon copy of his last season - but for a horrible Flames team.

When you take the fact the Giordano has scored 47 and 48 points in 64 and 61 games the past two years, did that while getting 43.1% and 44.1% offensive zone starts, facing a quality of competition of +1.908 and +1.913, with relative corsi of +22.8 and +13.9.....

Yes, that is pretty much peerless. Those are some of the hardest minutes any NHL defenseman has faced - two years ago playing for the 2nd worst team in the conference - and yet Giordano has come up with elite offensive production in that context. The integrated sum of his objective outcomes are peerless.

How do the big names you mention measure up? Let's look at the situational use of each of them last year:

Hedman: 61.0% offensive zone starts, -1.09 quality of competition. (0.8 relative corsi)

Keith: 54.6% ozone starts, .430 qoc. (9.1)

Karlsson: 52.9% ozone, -0.212 qoc. (10.9)

Doughty: 52.9% ozone, -0.142 qoc (3.0 rel corsi)

Weber: 46.3% ozone, 0.975 qoc (-9.3 relative corsi)

Giordano: 44.1% ozone, +1.908 quality of competition, (+22.8 relative corsi).....43.1%, +1.913 qoc (+13.9),

Not one of those guys have anywhere near the underlying numbers that Giordano does.

All of them face easier quality of competition, get higher offensive zone starts and every one of them had the benefit of much stronger team-mates.,playing for contenders, recent SC Champions. finalists.

Only Karlsson has produced more ppg either of the past two years - and plays nothing resembling the shutdown minutes that Giordano does - with nowhere near the two way game of Giordano, and yes, it matters when you're a defenseman.

So yeah, he's actually in a class all by himself - the best all around defenseman in the NHL two years running.

I love Hamhuis and think he's still a great d-man, but does anybody else feel like Gio got slighted in favor of Hamhuis for the Sochi team? Both LHD's and seemed to be the two guys competing for that last spot, but I felt like Hamhuis got it because of his more proven track record and pedigree.

I love Hamhuis and think he's still a great d-man, but does anybody else feel like Gio got slighted in favor of Hamhuis for the Sochi team? Both LHD's and seemed to be the two guys competing for that last spot, but I felt like Hamhuis got it because of his more proven track record and pedigree.

No, I don't think so.

Giordano's 2012/13 was not his best - nowhere near. Strke shortened season and about the only one of his career where he produced like a guy playing the hardest minutes on a blueline.

Most of the decisions regarding that Socchi team were made in late 2013, with the final decisions being announced just after New Year.

If we're going to hindsight and take someone off that roster, I think Bouwmeester was less deserving than Hamhuis - Hammer deserved it imo, even if his years preceding were better. Bouwmeester can thank Pietrangelo, a few months of spiked production, and riding shotgun on that pairing for his appearance at Socchi imo.

No, I don't think so.

Giordano's 2012/13 was not his best - nowhere near. Strke shortened season and about the only one of his career where he produced like a guy playing the hardest minutes on a blueline.

Most of the decisions regarding that Socchi team were made in late 2013, with the final decisions being announced just after New Year.

If we're going to hindsight and take someone off that roster, I think Bouwmeester was less deserving than Hamhuis - Hammer deserved it imo, even if his years preceding were better. Bouwmeester can thank Pietrangelo, a few months of spiked production, and riding shotgun on that pairing for his appearance at Socchi imo.

Touche. Again, Bouwmeester is a guy I feel is slightly overrated as a result of his resume and pedigree.

If the decisions were indeed made in 2012-13 then I understand the Hamhuis>Gio decision.

Touche. Again, Bouwmeester is a guy I feel is slightly overrated as a result of his resume and pedigree.

If the decisions were indeed made in 2012-13 then I understand the Hamhuis>Gio decision.

I agree - I'd have taken Giordano over Bouwmeester in a heartbeat regardless.

I don't think think the decisions were made in 2012/13, but they were probably made in the first few months of the 2013/14 season... and likely based upon the previous year combined with what happened out of the gate in 2013/14. Not great timing for the Flames captain, but I think he's been under-rated for some time, and probably/apparently still is - despite being the best defenseman in the world at this point.

We've gotten to see a lot of him out here. I was really hoping the Canucks would manage to poach him when Calgary finally started rebuilding - but to their credit they didn't go so far as to move him. The Bouwmeester move though was long overdue.

Yeah these guys and kings and oilers will be fighting hard for the cup now for years cant beleave they got so little money for such a excelent dman. Benning is the biggest idiott in the league and watching this is sad :(

It's pretty clear that the money saved should be spent on additional education for you on logic and spelling. Stay in school.

So yeah, he's actually in a class all by himself - the best all around defenseman in the NHL two years running.

You can post/edit all the stats you want, and I respect your time and research you put up, but sorry, I'm not trading a single guy I mentioned earlier straight up for Giordano, that's why imo he's far from peerless. In fact,there's pretty much no one in hockey at any position right now that is extraordinarily head/shoulders above everyone else at their respective positions imo, and I do emphasize 'extraordinarily' before people start spewing out marginally better stats here /there.

You can post/edit all the stats you want, and I respect your time and research you put up, but sorry, I'm not trading a single guy I mentioned earlier straight up for Giordano, that's why imo he's far from peerless. In fact,there's pretty much no one in hockey at any position right now that is extraordinarily head/shoulders above everyone else at their respective positions imo, and I do emphasize 'extraordinarily' before people start spewing out marginally better stats here /there.

Wadr, whether or not you would trade any of those guys for Giordano doesn't contribute a great deal of weight or validity to your point - it's mere opinion/preference - which we all have - but doesn't trump objective outcomes. If you want to split hairs over semantics be my guest - but you're going to have a hard time qualifying an argument that Giordano isn't the best defenseman in the NHL over the past two seasons - there isn't really the substance there (you haven't provided any at all) to substantiate that claim.

Archived