The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks prospects drub the Jets prospect machine

SaintPatrick33

Led by young goalie Jackson Whistle (is that his real name?), the Canucks dominated a team who arguably has the deepest prospect pool in the NHL. With names like Ehlers and Petan, the canucks youngsters proved they can run and gun with the best of em, and in fact they dominated after a poor showing versus the oilers.

The passing and team game was much improved over game one, crisp passing and anticipation were paramount in helping dominate the shot clock and possession time. McCann showed he has an NHL level wrist shot, sending the water bottle flying and then hugging a referee. Virtanen also went beast mode physically and seems to be sending a message that he is ready physically to play with the big boys. He also had a few scoring chances where he took it hard to the net, and although he didnt score, showed he is the fearless, net driving physical player the Canucks have needed since Bert left.

On defence, sautner and brisebois played a much calmer game and were smooth with the puck. Subban also showed he has a knack for getting the puck on net from the point, to go along with his speed and stickhandling ability.

Perhaps the unsung hero was goalie Jackson Whistle, who made several key stops and made the big saves when he needed to.

Based on this game, it looks as though we have a great nucleus of young prospects who have the potential to make it to the big club and make a difference. Stanley Cup 2020! :towel:

I've been on the get Jackson bandwagon for over 3 years since the Rockets picked him up from the Giants. He went from relatively unknown backup to the premiere goalie in the WHL

Plus...dat flo

He was the perfect goalie to play last night. In kelowna he would go long stretches with zero action, then have to make a big save on an odd man rush......much like last night.

Who is penciled in for goal in Utica this year? Is it Canata and Bachman?

Bachman is 28 and looks like a career AHLer who has played in the Oilers system (and they have given up on him?)

Whistle put up a nice performance last night, and although it was only 1 game, I think he needs another look.

He looks undrafted and unsigned at 20 years old, and played with the Kelowna Rockets last year. In 50 games last year he went 34-10-5 with a 2.55 GAA and 0.909 save %. Not stellar but may benefit a lot from the better coaching available in the Canucks system.

If anybody knows more, please tell.

5 pages on the "Canucks got drubbed" thread and three replys in the "Canucks prospects drub thread". Does anyone else see a problem here? Lol

Love u guys

LOL.... I kept waiting for someone to present a recap of this win, the 8-2 loss was literally posted right after the game....seriously too many negative nancies waiting to pounce on any bad canucks news :bigblush:

Bachman is very close to being an NHL goalie. Benning wanted a tweener to push Markstrom and help prevent Utica from falling back too much. Bachman is supposed to be shelter for whoever plays behind him. Whistle could go juinior or ECHL and get lots of playing time. But I think the plan is still to have a top AHL team, which means they're unlikely to throw him in there.

I would love to see what would be going on here if Ehlers was our small European and Virtanen was Winnipeg's juggernaut.

Dude, I love that Messier picture...haha, cracks me up every time. Anyways agree, I think Virtanen is what we need. Or at least is the type of player Benning wants to have on his team.

Who is penciled in for goal in Utica this year? Is it Canata and Bachman?

Bachman is 28 and looks like a career AHLer who has played in the Oilers system (and they have given up on him?)

Whistle put up a nice performance last night, and although it was only 1 game, I think he needs another look.

He looks undrafted and unsigned at 20 years old, and played with the Kelowna Rockets last year. In 50 games last year he went 34-10-5 with a 2.55 GAA and 0.909 save %. Not stellar but may benefit a lot from the better coaching available in the Canucks system.

If anybody knows more, please tell.

I know Bachman is pretty much penciled as the starter. But they are hoping Cannata will push for starting minutes. I hope he does, i've always been a fan of him. He's not flashy but I think is fairly solid. Only on a 1 year show me deal tho. May be his last if he doesn't push Bachman out.

Bachman is very close to being an NHL goalie. Benning wanted a tweener to push Markstrom and help prevent Utica from falling back too much. Bachman is supposed to be shelter for whoever plays behind him. Whistle could go juinior or ECHL and get lots of playing time. But I think the plan is still to have a top AHL team, which means they're unlikely to throw him in there.

Makes sense, his numbers seem to be ok in either league. He's only 5'10" but before the Oilers, he was in the Stars system so Willie knows him.

OKC is a good team and so are the Stars. He was 14-5-3 w. 0.918 and 2.38 at OKC last year. 3-2 with the Oilers 0.911, 2.84.

I'd like to see Whistle signed but Clay Witt is already on an AHL deal with the Comets, so there are 5 goalies in the system. Cannata definitely will back up in Utica so if Whistle is signed, he and Witt will both play in the ECHL. Unless Whistle plays an overage year?

I'd like to see Whistle signed but Clay Witt is already on an AHL deal with the Comets, so there are 5 goalies in the system. Cannata definitely will back up in Utica so if Whistle is signed, he and Witt will both play in the ECHL. Unless Whistle plays an overage year?

I mean, it wouldn't hurt to pick him up on a deal and send him to the ECHL for a year or two. It's better to lay claim to this guy before anyone else. Flashes of Tim Thomas.

Good performance last night for the team. Good to see the top guys like Jake (hits, shots, driving the net like a true PF), Hunter (created some chances down low and got that E.N. goal), Jared (with the sweet shot), Hutton (looked good with his D partner out there) and Subbs (looked very mobile and in control) put up decent performances. Hope they can continue to up their consistency in each of these areas and the team would look promising for the future. Also hope Jake finally pots a goal as a reward for his efforts.

The results of these games are predominately achieved by the strength (or lack thereof) each teams respective goaltender. I don't think we can generalize any results into team's A prospects are better than team B's prospects.

Shouldn't Connor Hellebuyck, widely regarded as the best goalie outside the NHL, have come out on top then, against a tryout player in Whistle? Thing is, it's overly simplistic to just look at the goalies when the baby Nucks also outplayed the young Jets, and while I agree that you can't say that the players on the winning team are better, they did put up the better showing against other elite prospects like Ehlers, Morrissey and Petan, and that to me is more significant than just names on a page.

From what I've seen there's 4 players who I'd like to see make the jump to the big club.

Gaunce

Subban

Hutton

Virtanen.

It would mean 3-4 players would have to be traded. (Higgins, Vey, Sbisa, Weber?)

They would make their share of mistakes, but I think that all 4 would provide as good of production, and stability as our existing players. We'd also save a lot in cap space.

Makes sense, his numbers seem to be ok in either league. He's only 5'10" but before the Oilers, he was in the Stars system so Willie knows him.

OKC is a good team and so are the Stars. He was 14-5-3 w. 0.918 and 2.38 at OKC last year. 3-2 with the Oilers 0.911, 2.84.

Bachman was probably the best goalie the Baby Canucks faced in the playoffs, he was also the starter in the game that eliminated the Kings from the playoffs.

5 pages on the "Canucks got drubbed" thread and three replys in the "Canucks prospects drub thread". Does anyone else see a problem here? Lol

Love u guys

and, not surprisingly, we haven't heard a peep out of the clown that posted the first one

Archived