The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

He's Back! Tortorella Hired in Columbus

Please explain why picks should be given for fired coaches. They aren't 'assets' that require compensation by losing them. They aren't assisting the organization. I know it's easy to be in favour of this because the Canucks win out, but a fired coach who draws a salary isn't an asset, more like a liability. 

I guess if teams are desperate for picks, they could hire a bunch of unemployed NHL coaches, fire them all and hold them hostage for compensatory picks.

He's still under contract, meaning he's our property, regardless of asset or liability.

What is this? Some type of publicity stunt by the NHL? Let a guy who has been giving multiple chances and opportunities too improve his attitude and still gives everyone a hard time is a coach AGAIN! I'm sure there was many other candidates more suitable for the job but you obviously have to pick the person who will bring some media attention to the cities hockey team because nothing else has.

Please explain why picks should be given for fired coaches. They aren't 'assets' that require compensation by losing them. They aren't assisting the organization. I know it's easy to be in favour of this because the Canucks win out, but a fired coach who draws a salary isn't an asset, more like a liability. 

I guess if teams are desperate for picks, they could hire a bunch of unemployed NHL coaches, fire them all and hold them hostage for compensatory picks.

Actually an asset is exactly what he is, since he's under contract. Whether the Canucks are using their assets is their discretion, but he was under contract with the Canucks, so by definition he was a Canucks asset.

A team could hire a bunch of coaches...& then be on the hook for paying out those contracts. Also, there's not really a lot of coaches out there that can actually work in the NHL, so you'd be hiring a bunch of scrubs nobody wants & still have to pay them all. Doesn't seem like a sound strategy.

I guess columbus was tired of richards... we are getting 2nd second round pick in compensation

John Tortorella was named the new coach of the Columbus Blue Jackets on Wednesday after the club fired Todd Richards.

The Blue Jackets are 0-7-0 after losing 4-0 at home to the New York Islanders on Tuesday.

Tortorella, 57, signed a three-year contract. He leads American-born coaches with 446 wins and is set to coach Team USA at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey.

"John Tortorella is an experienced National Hockey League coach with a proven track record of success," general manager Jarmo Kekalainen told the Blue Jackets website. "He is a Stanley Cup winner and we believe the right person to lead our team at this time."

Tortorella last coached in the NHL with the Vancouver Canucks in the 2013-14 season. The Canucks, who fired him after missing the Stanley Cup Playoffs, will receive a second-round draft pick from the Blue Jackets as compensation since Tortorella remained under contract there and was hired in-season.

He won the Stanley Cup with the Tampa Bay Lightning in 2004 and reached the Eastern Conference Final with the New York Rangers in 2012.

Richards has a career coaching record of 204-183-37 with the Minnesota Wild and Blue Jackets. Columbus made the playoffs in 2014 for the second time in their franchise history. They lost an Eastern Conference First Round series to the Pittsburgh Penguins in six games, then fell to 11th in the conference last season.

"None of us saw our season unfolding the way it has and every one of us from management to coaches to players bears responsibility," Kekalainen said. "There is still a lot of hockey to be played and we believe this change was necessary to give our team the best chance to accomplish the goals we've set for this season."

Here's hoping he has exactly the right mix of guys to suit his coaching style, because he clearly is not the type of coach to adapt to anything.  I'm sure he's a better coach than some people give him credit for, but he mailed it in and Vancouver and I'm still bitter about it.

I feel good for the guy. Wasn't a bad as a coach as people make him out to be.

In other news, im not sure how i feel about this new update.:mellow:

BS. He's old-time garbage that doesn't fly any more with today's players. The Bluejackets are young and might respond at first but i predict a death-spin pre-Playoff time.

We have two 3rds (sutter deal) and don't have a 5th (prust)

edit: I forgot about pedan, just one 3rd but we still don't have a 5th

Ooooops. Thanks bruv.

EDIT: Btw, the 3rd that comes with the Sutter deal will be from Buffalo (Bylsma hiring), so we have two coach picks.

Here's hoping he has exactly the right mix of guys to suit his coaching style, because he clearly is not the type of coach to adapt to anything.  I'm sure he's a better coach than some people give him credit for, but he mailed it in and Vancouver and I'm still bitter about it.

Here's hoping Blue Jackets get 1st overall and the Canucks get the 31st!

Archived