The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Panic in C of Red

The Flames are a good enough team to challenge for a Playoff spot, I think it is way too early for anyone to panic. I think Columbus made a big mistake firing their coach so soon.

We are only what ? three weeks into the season, it all balances out. I predict Calgary will be top 10 in the West and Columbus will also push for the Playoffs by season's end

When you start a season with 7 regulation losses in a row with a healthy roster, compared to how their season started last year with the same players, something has to change. And considering they were riddled with injuries the entire year and starting out this bad with all of their main guys in, yeah something ain't right.

When you start a season with 7 regulation losses in a row with a healthy roster, compared to how their season started last year with the same players, something has to change. And considering they were riddled with injuries the entire year and starting out this bad with all of their main guys in, yeah something ain't right.

There may be something off, perhaps heightened pressure ? higher expectations ? not being the underdog ? but at the end of the day we are under 10 games into the new season. A lot can and will change.

I think this is an over-reaction.

They're not a "bad team" - they're just not as good as a lot of people may have thought - yet.

They were not a good puck possession team last year, but they were a good counter-punch team and they made the most of their opportunities.

It may have been reasonable to expect some regression this year, but adding quality depth like Frolik, and having more depth emerging might head that off.

Brodie is a huge loss though - and Hamilton has played some weak hockey - people may be prematurely thinking he's a top pairing/top 4 that will push that team to new heights.  Not quite - at least not yet.  They need Brodie back.

I think they'll be back on the playoff bubble though come deadline - their top pairing will be one of the best in the NHL again (if healthy), and the trickle down is significant, particularly when they've not only added Hamilton, but have young D emerging that might make Engelland scratchable.

Their bottom nine forwards are a good group - their top line is representative of their team - not a good possession line, but young and developing, and have produced well nevertheless.

I don't think panicking is the appropriate response.

The problem with Calgary is that they're a one line team with average goaltending. The only way they win games is when their defense are creating chances and putting up points.

They rely on Hudler-Monahan-Gaudreau and the defense too much.

On top of that, that top line went on an insane run for the last half of the season. The points that they put up in that stretch is probably unsustainable as a line. I'm sure gaudreau and monahan will have great careers, but I don't expect Hudler to continue putting up those kinds of numbers. With all of their success last season, other teams will definitely give more attention to that line. 

I hate the Flames, but Hamilton has way more offence to his game than JBo.  It makes me sick that the Flames got him for nothing.  

I'd say it was below market value but it wasn't like they gave him away. Maybe with how Dougie is struggling, maybe Boston knew something everyone else didn't? 

Shoulda' sold high. Suggested(early last yr) they should trade Gio to TBay for 2 or 3 of their top prospects/young regulars..perhaps Vasilevsky too.

When you're an up & coming team, you've got to be bold enough to deal an older(UFA) or two. Take the step back, to strongly leap fwd in upcoming years.

That's a thought?

But Gio was perhaps the best D in hockey at that time. It is rare you can give up that good an asset and actually come out better for it. Chicago gave up Byfuglien and Ladd but held onto Toews and Hossa and Keith.

They were not a good puck possession team last year, but they were a good counter-punch team and they made the most of their opportunities.

Brodie is a huge loss...

Their bottom nine forwards are a good group - their top line is representative of their team - not a good possession line, but young and developing, and have produced well nevertheless.

I've cherry picked and left a few very key points from your post.

And I have a summary. As they are evolving with more young talent I think they need to transition their game style.

I made the point last play off's that the Flames pulled off near perfect "upset' hockey tactics typical of coaching against better teams. People can debate whether the Nucks were better, its not the point.

Hartley a series of tactics to slow down the game. A general principal of coaching in any possession sport is to use combinations of speed and increased possession when you have the more athletic and talented players. Example the 80's Oilers. Logic says the more times the puck goes up and down the ice equals the more times you let a Paul Coffey, Kurri or Gretzky bury you. And there is more space for them to work across the whole ice surface to take advantage of their speed and skill. Hartleys team instead collapsed into a zone in their end and in the neutral zone. Rather then let the Twins have multiple possessions and space, he collapsed into a zone in the neutral zone, and with 5 bodies collapsing in front of the net in the defensive zone. The Twins held onto the puck quite a bit, but on the outside and for long possessions with no opportunity except for low % shots. From the outside that were easily blocked. Did anyone notice that Russell was a top (the top I think?) shot blocker in the league? All in all, in a slow game with little space and big bodies in front of the net to stifle the superior talent of the Twins we could not bury the Flames. Job one done.

Then they attacked key players on our team with physical match ups. IE Ferland & Jones attacking specific personnel who had trouble handling the puck.  The Flames were in shape. After long shifts of holding off our team they still had the jam to get after Sbisa, Dorsett, Weber, Mathias, Bieksa, and Higgins. They caused turnovers. Where then they had speedy forwards and the advantage of space in breakouts. They created high % scoring opportunities and stole games in spite of carrying a much lower possession. Upset coaching 101 to a perfection.

Plus their goaltending held up.

So what is really wrong with the Flames now?

Growing pains! With guys like Bennett and Gaudreu they now have forwards who can drive the play. Hudler also to an extent and Monahan can flat out bury it. Wideman, Gio and Russell can all also beat their man 1 on 1 from the back end. So they have stopped sitting back. And started more of an attacking game.

Hartley knows this game plan as well. He did not zone up in Colorado! Its a transition and there are hiccups.

Suddenly they are making mistakes in a new game plan. And the angles are suddenly very different for their goalies. And require different skills. That's why they're suddenly porrous. NYR 2 years ago made a similar transition when they brought on AV after laid back Torts and his sit back and block shots style. And had a terrible start. Even King Lundqvist looked extremely ordinary. But if Calgary has talent, which they do,  they will turn the corner shortly.

Lots of denial is fLames land. They bought in their own hype thinking they're elite and we all heard how they've got the best defence in hockey over the summer. LOL

The difference is not every shot they take from the point finds the net, not everyone is going to have career season again. Ferkland is what we thought he was, which is a plug that was hyped up by HNIC. 

then Mr Sam "cant do pull ups" Bennett has turned 19 and lost his super powers. 

Hartley cant get his team to play playoff style hockey every night. 

the list goes on.

Im loving this. 

2-6...yup, like the oil market in this past year, the bottom's falling out on the Flames.  And 19 year old and balding Sam Bennett is looking rather ordinary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwCWSQMhHQk

Take a close look at the score and time left when they make these late period comebacks. They were the luckiest team last year and it fooled their fan base into thinking they were special. Avalanche 2.0 

Archived