The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Panic in C of Red

Last year was an aberration for them.  I suspect that they caught many teams by surprise because they have been an absolute non factor in the NHL for almost a decade .  Who gets up to play the Calgary Flames?  Up till last year who were their playoff rivals?  They caught many teams off guard.

The stars aligned when guys like Hudler, Bouma and Giordano had career years, and nobody had the book on their rookies yet.  Giordano is a good player, but I find it hard to believe that he all the sudden looked like a Norris candidate in his early 30s.  where has he been for a decade before?

The best part is they mortgaged the farm to get Dougie Hamilton.  He looks like a bigger version of Justin Schultz! 

I will never feel sorry for that team - i hope they continue in their putrid trend of mediocrity.  They have only made it past the first round two times in twenty six years.

We all know that the Flames will eventually snap out of this and play some good hockey...I just think Canuck fans are enjoying the Flames fans marinating in their misery.... After they dispatched the Canucks,and the off season signings,a bit of smugness and self entitlement crept in (not just the fans,but the players as well)....

The Flames are no longer the 'underdog'...so the 'Comeback Kids ' bit won't fly...Teams are prepared for them now.

Their goaltending isn't winning them any games either,..It's still a revolving door.

Yes, that much is enjoyable - any other Canadian club getting smug is pretty annoying. 

Off season moves definitely paying off for the lames, LOL

where's all the ppl that were praising the Hamilton trade?

Maybe bruins gm not as stupid as we thought :lol:

no, Hamilton is going to be an excellent player.  I wish we had him.  I do hate the Flames though.

Beautiful.

By the start of next year after the 2016 draft (the one Benning's been raving about) we might even be able to be on par with them in the rebuilding/retooling process. 

I think they'll end the year on a high note but this is definitely an expected regression on their part. The kids are being scouted and they're going to have to learn to adjust. They don't hold the underdog label anymore.

Last year was an aberration for them.  I suspect that they caught many teams by surprise because they have been an absolute non factor in the NHL for almost a decade .  Who gets up to play the Calgary Flames?  Up till last year who were their playoff rivals?  They caught many teams off guard.

The stars aligned when guys like Hudler, Bouma and Giordano had career years, and nobody had the book on their rookies yet.  Giordano is a good player, but I find it hard to believe that he all the sudden looked like a Norris candidate in his early 30s.  where has he been for a decade before?

The best part is they mortgaged the farm to get Dougie Hamilton.  He looks like a bigger version of Justin Schultz! 

I will never feel sorry for that team - i hope they continue in their putrid trend of mediocrity.  They have only made it past the second round two times in twenty six years.

the canucks have only made it past the second round two times in 33 years. 

no, Hamilton is going to be an excellent player.  I wish we had him.  I do hate the Flames though.

He is, but he simply does not fit onto their roster.

Hamilton needs a partner to cover his mistakes.. The only guys he can be paired with is like Russell and Giordano (Gio will 100% be with Brodie when he's back though). He looks terrible out there because Hamilton wants to join rushes and skate up the ice, but that's Gio's game as well so it looks terrible and causes so many odd-man rushes since both of them are always jumping up. It would be the exact same problem with Russell though...

Who is he gonna play with? Engelland ? LOL! Smid is better, I guess, but still not very good. He needs a Hamhuis-type partner or like a Tanev. 

yup.  I'm thinking that guy was at most worth a fourth.  Now he's a bust, and we gave up a good prospect for him.

In hindsight looking at a 2nd round pick some may question it, but can't really call him a bust yet. This is his first opportunity to play top six / top nine minutes regularly and he is still learning consistancy as well as the importance of NOT being a perimeter player.

We'll see by the end of the season how he did, getting him for a 2nd was a plus at this point.

the canucks have only made it past the second round two times in 33 years. 

I meant say the flames have made it past the first round 2 times in 26 years....Canucks have made it past the first round 9 times in that span and have qualified for the playoffs 17 times.  Of course they have that 89 cup, but since then they have been sub mediocre.

Hamilton needs a partner to cover his mistakes.. The only guys he can be paired with is like Russell and Giordano (Gio will 100% be with Brodie when he's back though). He looks terrible out there because Hamilton wants to join rushes and skate up the ice, but that's Gio's game as well so it looks terrible and causes so many odd-man rushes since both of them are always jumping up. It would be the exact same problem with Russell though...

Who is he gonna play with? Engelland ? LOL! Smid is better, I guess, but still not very good. He needs a Hamhuis-type partner or like a Tanev. 

that's why we should get him.;)

So far, the Hamilton-Russell pairing has also been very bad.

Archived