The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

WD is out of his depth

Canucks Curse

but then what are we doing here... I like your points, but what are we doing for virtannen and Beartschi's develpoment playing them under 7 minutes

thats true too. Its only been a handful of games. Im with you and would like to see them play a lot more especially when we have to decide soon on if we r sending anyone down. With Beartschi though, im fine with eazing him in. id be more concerned if down the line we are still not giving him the chances.

i really hope that we arent starting a bash willie thing here. this core hasnt been able to produce for three years. we got young guys coming up. remember its going to be a transition period. we arent going to dominate this year. And sometimes games like tonight are valuable lessons for the young guys. relax.

Curious how it could be a valuable lesson for the young guys? Unless of course the term valuable is used to reinforce the fact that the young guys are definitely the future, and it's the slower core guys that should be sitting on the bench, especially in 3 on 3 overtime.

Can't imagine how frustrating it must be for the "kids" when they are benched or limited in a game they have had a part in obtaining the lead or managing a tie, only to see it lost by players they know they are there to replace in the future. Maybe, just maybe, that future is closer than anyone thinks? I mean really! can the kids do any worse?

Curious how it could be a valuable lesson for the young guys? Unless of course the term valuable is used to reinforce the fact that the young guys are definitely the future, and it's the slower core guys that should be sitting on the bench, especially in 3 on 3 overtime.

Can't imagine how frustrating it must be for the "kids" when they are benched or limited in a game they have had a part in obtaining the lead or managing a tie, only to see it lost by players they know they are there to replace in the future. Maybe, just maybe, that future is closer than anyone thinks? I mean really! can the kids do any worse?

im not being a dick i promise. have u played on a rep team before? when u win as a teamand lose as a team u can take positives out of it and anylize things. Canucks flat out lost tonight and the young guy "hutton" took a high sticking penalty that led to a goal. its growing pains and without them u dont learn to deal with mistakes. expect a lot of it in the coming season.

Yes. IF the kids was on the ice when we lose the game. What will the kids think then. It is no time or place to put them in these do or die situations yet. Should they make a mistake that leads to the losing goal, it will damage their confidence more than sitting on the bench. It is a double edge sword where the negative out weights the benefits.

everyones giving vrbata and sedins crap they are our best players night in and nightout the rest of team needs to step up.  Rookies need to play 15-17 mins  not 5   and a bunch of vets need to be shipped out  (hansen, hamhuis, weber, burrows)

John Scott had more minutes than Virtanen tonight. 

I said it before the season started. 3v3 is a net negative for us. We are one of the slowest teams in the west. And the fastest skaters we have either don't have any hands (Hansen) or they are too young to have their skill fine-tuned enough to be effective. Sure the Sedins will get their chances and goals but personally I think they will turn out to be better 4v4 players than 3v3.

No wins at home is fine? 

Yes it's great. Everyone knows that in order to win the Cup, you gotta be winless at home...save all those wins for the postseason.

it is, if everyone buys in that we're in a "rebuild" phase xD this team isn't in "rebuild mode." if that were the case, we'd be like cbj right now, with everyone saying, oh, we're fine, but a team on a rebuild, like how people claim the canucks to be, arent playoff teams. this team, sadly, is still a playoff team. it has no real right to be, but this team still has talent to get through

people claim WD is this excellent teacher, but its no different than when we saw vigs in charge. in 3 on 3 overtime, you dont trot out an aging daniel and henrik sedin, who can no longer keep up with the play. it's dumb, and it needs to stop

I would have argued at the start of the season that CBJ should be a playoff team...injuries are what held them back last season. They have lots of young talent on that team, and some good vets as well.

Honestly, after all the heat Willie took for his failure to adapt and match lines in the playoffs, I think he's trying too hard. It doesn't feel organic. Feels like he's scrambling too hard to do the right thing. Could be wrong, that's just what it feels like to me.

I also think he is afraid to play the rookies too much because he doesnt want them getting to complacent like the Oilers young guns. I think I am the only one here that doesn't have a problem with bringing the rookies along slowly and not rushing them but there is a fine line in playing them too much or not enough. i do think the 3 on 3 should have the fastest skaters on the team ie. McCann, Virtanen, Baertschi, Hansen and Tanev as staples. 

I also think he is afraid to play the rookies too much because he doesnt want them getting to complacent like the Oilers young guns. I think I am the only one here that doesn't have a problem with bringing the rookies along slowly and not rushing them but there is a fine line in playing them too much or not enough. i do think the 3 on 3 should have the fastest skaters on the team ie. McCann, Virtanen, Baertschi, Hansen and Tanev as staples. 

Give the young guys a chance to play hero.

At the very worst if they make a mistake at least they learn a lesson. When a vet makes a mistake they're not learning anything they don't already know.

0-2-3 at home

just a few things

- Young players are not playing enough

-BO -played under 14 min and only killed the penalty in over time (which was fantastic)

-MccAnn, a few mistakes, but was flying out there - why not use him in overtime...

-Beartschi -this game was made for him, speed and skill but he is barely given any opportunity.

-Virtanen - again this game is made for him in that there was a lot of speed and space out there but he was used sparringly and he could have set a tone physically in the third.

-poor line change at end of game - not sure who's fault that is but does not look good.

-Team looks unmotivated in the third, 3 3rd period leads melted away and not to star teams either - wings, oilers, flames

-are the sedins the only players allowed to play in even strength in overtime??

- I just see a cocah who cannot make in game adjustments for the life of him,cannot figure out how to hold leads, does not play young players and yet he says he knows what they can do and they need to be sheltered.

Why don't you just post this in the PGT where the other 80 just like this post reside. You are wasting Internet. 

At the very worst if they make a mistake at least they learn a lesson. When a vet makes a mistake they're not learning anything they don't already know.

Split the Sedins up in 3 on 3. Unless they can score on their first chance, they are too slow as a tandem to back-check. I would Try Henrik with Virtanen and McCann with Daniel. Sutter with Hansen/Burrows and Horvat with Baertschi/Vrbata . 

I'm starting to think Willie might not be a long term coach. Just a transition guy.

If his goal is to turn every young player into a 200 foot player, we're gonna have alot of prospects never reach their potential.

Being able to play at both ends is important, but if it's at the expense of offense we're not gonna win many games.

this. especially when we are looking to see what they can do.

Archived