The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

WD is out of his depth

Canucks Curse

And what was the message he was giving to Horvat.  He only had around 9 minutes excluding PK time.  That line looks like they need a makeover.  Burrows/Hansen on #2 and #3 please, to split things up and get more balance because the kid line is not working or getting enough ice time, and that is all on WD.

scoring 20 goals so far means were fine lol, but take out the calgary game and then see how many goals this team is scoring. Young guys have great shots but hey bench them lol oh well.

virtanen should get sent down. looks behind the pace of the NHL game far too often. is useless, again, far too often.

mccann should stay up. yes, he makes stupid mistakes on zone entries or exits, but he makes a ton of good plays w his stick as well. he's not behind of the game, and is half decent on boards.

hutton is a bae

baertschi was given his shot, played awful. 

I am reading all this dissing of the twins for 3 on 3 duty, lots of comments about how speed is essential.

Well, let's analyse that. I've watched all 8 games:

IMO, our fastest skater is Hansen, closely followed by McCann.

In our next tier I'd put Dorsett, Horvat, Weber and Bartowski, with, not far behind, Hutton and Vrbata, Sutter, Burrows and Tanev.

Prust has shown another gear, as has Cracknell, when hustling to forecheck

In 7 games, Baertschi, and in 5 games, Virtanen, have displayed none of their "vaunted" speed, just marginally faster than our slowest - the twins, Edler, Hamhuis and Sbisa.

So if speed is essential, then our first 3 should be McCann and Hansen with Weber, followed by Horvat & Dorsett with Bart.  If either Weber or Bart aren't in the lineup, then Hutton or Tanev. 3rd group would be Sutter and vrby with Hutton/Tanev.

I just don't see Bae or Virts getting on the ice (based on the "speed criteria")

I'm tired of this playing not to lose. 

I actually wouldn't mind the losing if I saw them playing fast and aggressive as opposed to always skating backwards in the third period.

The fact that Uncly Willy continues to trot out the twins in overtime made the result pretty predictable. 

Not at all surprised that threads like this pop up.. What would CDC be without throwing the blame around after every game.

I can't make too big of a judgement of Willy yet, it is still early in the season and he has some growing pains to go through himself.

What I am surprised with a bit is how people are already getting down on this team.. A team that virtually everyone should know is not destined to be a front runner in the standings..

This Canucks will be transitioning for the next few seasons, and we will lose plenty of games on the way.. Some of you need to get comfortable with that instead of blaming the coach or whoever else ad nausium.  It is complete wasted energy.

This Canucks will be transitioning for the next few seasons, and we will lose plenty of games on the way.. Some of you need to get comfortable with that instead of blaming the coach or whoever else ad nausium.  It is complete wasted energy.

It's one thing to get beat by better teams. I think most fans can accept that as long as the team gives an honest effort.

It's games like tonight where the win is there for the taking if they just put their foot down on the gas a little more. That frustrates fans more than anything. That comes down to leadership and coaching. 

Regardless of the teams age, there's no excuse for losing games with a 2-0 lead going into the 3rd.

0-2-3 at home

just a few things

- Young players are not playing enough

-BO -played under 14 min and only killed the penalty in over time (which was fantastic)

-MccAnn, a few mistakes, but was flying out there - why not use him in overtime...

-Beartschi -this game was made for him, speed and skill but he is barely given any opportunity.

-Virtanen - again this game is made for him in that there was a lot of speed and space out there but he was used sparringly and he could have set a tone physically in the third.

-poor line change at end of game - not sure who's fault that is but does not look good.

-Team looks unmotivated in the third, 3 3rd period leads melted away and not to star teams either - wings, oilers, flames

-are the sedins the only players allowed to play in even strength in overtime??

- I just see a cocah who cannot make in game adjustments for the life of him,cannot figure out how to hold leads, does not play young players and yet he says he knows what they can do and they need to be sheltered.

Willie is not the one missing a barrow load of chances. We should have buried them in the 1st and then again in the 2nd, I didn't see Willie on the ice the whole game. We have needed an ace sniper for a decade now, Vbrata brought it last year but he has dried up. When the twins are not scoring we are generally goosed.

Honestly can we have some kind of intelligence test before people are allowed to post threads on here?

Not sure WD is out of his depth but he does get out coached.  This team won't be good for a while, and WD is supposed to be good at developing kids. I'm willing to let him play out his contract (2 years), after that it's time to bring in coach Green from Utica. Right now it's rebuild time. I don't mind that, we need to rebuild and it's a process. It'll be 5 years before this team turns around so be patient.  

You haven't a clue how Green would do here so that is just a plain stupid thing to say. He is struggling with the same problem Willie is at present. Playing new young rookies.

It is far too early to panic and people like you and the OP should have sense enough to realise that. No coach likes to ice rookies who have not even spent time in the A, unless they are top 3 draft picks, that's why Detroit don't do it. We got rid of Richardson, and Matthias (and we are missing Higgins)  seasoned players who are tough to play against and put in McCann, Virtanen and Baertschi who are just not dynamic enough. But that is not why we are losing, it's as I say we are not good enough at finishing.

We were all over a team that should have buried Calgary the other night but we just can't beat the goalie.

Willie is being asked to coach with one hand tied behind his back. You can bitch all you want but the rookies toi is not what is preventing us from winning.

It's one thing to get beat by better teams. I think most fans can accept that as long as the team gives an honest effort.

It's games like tonight where the win is there for the taking if they just put their foot down on the gas a little more. That frustrates fans more than anything. That comes down to leadership and coaching. 

Regardless of the teams age, there's no excuse for losing games with a 2-0 lead going into the 3rd.

Do you ever let up?

We should have buried that team TWICE. 

Why didn't we? Not because we did't "put our foot down" Not because of leadership. Not because of coaching. We are just not deadly enough in front of goal in 5 on 5 OR PP.

That has been a problem for us for years over 3 coaches. When the Sedins are not doing it we struggle. Last year we had Vbrata to share the load but as we all know it's not happening for him. Burrows has dried up, Horvat can't buy a goal and we are getting little from anyone else.

This is what happens when you rebuild a team. We have got rid of Bonino, Richardson, Matthias and Vey (Higgins is injured) Go count up their goals and points. The first 4 were considered expendable and we have replaced them with McCann, Virtanen, Baertschi and Suter. 

Only one of these guys has the experience, grit and ability at present to stand up and be counted when compared to those that have left. You have to pay the price if you are inserting prospects into a team, especially if they are not top 3 draft picks.

Face it, the whole team suffers when you weaken it to such an extent that the coach is unable to get performances from the young players to equal those that have left.

Never the less it is lack of accuracy in front of goal that is killing us NOT just the fact that we are blooding these rookies.

No wins at home is fine? 

It's okay, we should just sit back and hope teams like the Ducks continue to underperform all season. We are in a playoff spot right without home wins. We can make the playoffs with zero home wins, right?

Just send Virt down. 6 minutes a game is an utter waste of his development. The leash seemingly only exists for teenagers. Did a teenager make fun of Willie's mustache at some point in his life now he doesn't trust em any more?

The way I see it with this lineup where Lucas Sbisa, Matt Bartkowski and Yannick Weber are expected to replace Christian Ehrhoff, Sami Salo, and Willie Mitchell, the team either delays the inevitable losing with the vets or suffers a quicker demise with the young guys. If the team goes down with the vets, it at least protects the young guys from feeling the heat. 

The way I see it with this lineup where Lucas Sbisa, Matt Bartkowski and Yannick Weber are expected to replace Christian Ehrhoff, Sami Salo, and Willie Mitchell, the team either delays the inevitable losing with the vets or suffers a quicker demise with the young guys. If the team goes down with the vets, it at least protects the young guys from feeling the heat. 

It's a point worth remembering. Let the kids experience the exciting, winning atmosphere in Utica; allow the vets to take it on the chin, up in the bigs.

It's fairly easy in an armchair way to sit back with hindsight on your side to coach a game that's finished.

In the moment, coaches are forced to try things.  Some will work, some others won't.  Thing is, mistakes are made...it's part of life.  Give time to learn from them and adjust accordingly before you decide.  I don't think we're allowing for that in a rush to judgement way.

Personally, I don't think we have all the answers (either) and I'm willing to put some faith in WD while he sorts it out. Keep in mind, that's what this is right now...a transitional time and we likely won't win everything (or handily).  I think some people lose sight of that.

When someone named Canucks Curse tells me we're doomed I consider that the half empty response but I'm still invested in a half full mindset.  It's a long season, pace yourselves.  We're seeing some exciting hockey...this game was part of that.  Detroit's no slouch of a team...there are some of the league's best in seasoned veterans.  Give credit where it's due...sometimes when we "fall apart" it's also a matter of a team battling back hard.  Don't give us all the "credit" in a loss.

It's a point worth remembering. Let the kids experience the exciting, winning atmosphere in Utica; allow the vets to take it on the chin, up in the bigs.

Virt and McCaan cannot be sent to Utica, it is either NHL or Juniors for them

Baertchi would have to clear waivers to go to Utica, good luck with that!

Archived