The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NBA Discussion

BoKnows

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2019 at 7:52 AM, Tre Mac said:

This China/Hong Kong debacle makes me hates this league even more.  Amazing the lengths some businesses will go to whore out their employees for the almighty dollar.

I'm with you, Tre.

When I read about all the angst this whole situation has created, I just SMH. We're talking about a league that pays Connor McDavid money to guys coming off the bench, averaging 10 ppg, 4 dimes and 2 boards, FFS....

• Cheers 1

On 10/9/2019 at 7:52 AM, Tre Mac said:

This China/Hong Kong debacle makes me hates this league even more.  Amazing the lengths some businesses will go to whore out their employees for the almighty dollar.

The nfl blackballed a guy who took a knee but okay

20 hours ago, Van40 said:

Disagree. Eric Reid, Michael Thomas, Kenny Stills etc. remain employed by the league. Kaepernick got "blackballed" because if you boil it down it was his action that precipitated the protests and they have resulted in harm to the NFL's reputation and bottom line. You can definitely draw some parallels to Morey. The biggest difference is that the NBA chose to stick behind Morey because they could see the PR fallout of Morey's firing being just as big if not a lot bigger than Kaepernick's. The NBA chose to make social justice part of its brand, they made their bed and now they have to lie in it.

On 10/13/2019 at 10:33 AM, Van40 said:

He offended far too many people.   I am sorry, kneeling and not honoring the anthem is a disgrace to anyone that has served for that country.  That's why he was ousted.  NFL isn't exactly rich in ethics but these two incidents are quite different.  

Passing

• * Selected to Pro Bowl, + First-Team All-Pro
  •  
  • Share & more
    • Modify & Share Table
    • Embed this Table
    • Get as Excel Workbook (experimental)
    • Get table as CSV (for Excel)
    • Strip Mobile Formatting
    • Copy Link to Table to Clipboard
    • About Sharing Tools
    • Video: SR Sharing Tools & How-to
    • Video: Stats Table Tips & Tricks
  • Glossary
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% 1D Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV
Career       69 58 28-30-0 1011 1692 59.8 12271 72 4.3 30 1.8   80 7.3 7.3 12.1 177.8 88.9   171 1060 6.02 6.07 9.2 7 7

2011 24 SFO   7 3 0   3 5 60.0 35 0 0.0 0 0.0 2 19 7.0 7.0 11.7 11.7 81.2 74.4 0 0 7.00 7.00 0.0     0
2012 25 SFO qb 7 13 7 5-2-0 136 218 62.4 1814 10 4.6 3 1.4 86 57 8.3 8.6 13.3 139.5 98.3 71.8 16 112 7.27 7.55 6.8 1 1 9
2013 26 SFO QB 7 16 16 12-4-0 243 416 58.4 3197 21 5.0 8 1.9 148 64 7.7 7.8 13.2 199.8 91.6 65.7 39 231 6.52 6.65 8.6 2 3 15
2014 27 SFO QB 7 16 16 8-8-0 289 478 60.5 3369 19 4.0 10 2.1 164 80 7.0 6.9 11.7 210.6 86.4 60.9 52 344 5.71 5.58 9.8 3 2 12
2015 28 SFO QB 7 9 8 2-6-0 144 244 59.0 1615 6 2.5 5 2.0 73 76 6.6 6.2 11.2 179.4 78.5 43.4 28 166 5.33 4.94 10.3     4
2016 29 SFO QB 7 12 11 1-10-0 196 331 59.2 2241 16 4.8 4 1.2 101 65 6.8 7.2 11.4 186.8 90.7 49.5 36 207 5.54 5.92 9.8 1 1 9

CK stats from the last two seasons he played aren't that great either.  3-16 record in his last 19 starts with 22 TD's and 8 int's.  Crappy team or not it's not exactly numbers that yell out 'bring him in.' 

• Wat 1

@Tre Mac

A veteran suggested he take a knee and his reasoning is well documented. 

The military pays the NFL for all their patriotism but hey why look at the facts. 

To suggest Kap isn't good enough for the NFL while Luke Falk started games is hilarious.

Anyway, all these sports leagues whore themselves out for money and these political debates will go on forever. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, Van40 said:

@Tre Mac

A veteran suggested he take a knee and his reasoning is well documented. 

The military pays the NFL for all their patriotism but hey why look at the facts. 

To suggest Kap isn't good enough for the NFL while Luke Falk started games is hilarious.

Anyway, all these sports leagues whore themselves out for money and these political debates will go on forever. 

I just think it was extremely disrespectful and it pissed a lot of people off.  He's a very smart and thoughtful person, surely there were better avenues to explore than that.  All people talked about was his actions and hardly ever about his motives, to me that defeats the purpose of sending a message and bringing change. 

You're right about the leagues to an extent but this case was infuriating giving the potential ramifications internationally.  I can only imagine if this happened in Sochi, Bettman's weaselly cowardice would be on full display.  Say hello to Conrad McDavidov.

The NBA szn is finally back!

Have some wild predictions lined up...

Raptors win 52+ as Siakam takes another leap, Anunoby should be a MIP candidate.

Warriors miss the playoffs.

Spurs are a top 3 seed in the West.

Clippers finish as a low seed 5-8.

Mavericks make the playoffs.

MVP: Giannis

DPOY: Anthony Davis

COY: Quinn Snyder

ROY:  Rui Hachimura

Nba finals: Lakers over Bucks

The Clippers are so well balanced its not even funny. There is no weakness on their roster and the strength of their team lies within their defense. Plus they have the best player in the world. They are a throwback team, not subjecting to the trends of the modern NBA.

I hope for the sake of the sport they win the Ship. Fantastic brand of basketball. Also for the sake of Kawhi's legacy, I hope they do too. Imagine Kawhi winning 3 rings on 3 different teams in the "lebron" era. Still won't get the respect he deserves.

Watch out for Matisse Thybulle. Dude is going to be an all NBA defender

4 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

The Clippers are so well balanced its not even funny. There is no weakness on their roster and the strength of their team lies within their defense. Plus they have the best player in the world. They are a throwback team, not subjecting to the trends of the modern NBA.

I hope for the sake of the sport they win the Ship. Fantastic brand of basketball. Also for the sake of Kawhi's legacy, I hope they do too. Imagine Kawhi winning 3 rings on 3 different teams in the "lebron" era. Still won't get the respect he deserves.

Watch out for Matisse Thybulle. Dude is going to be an all NBA defender

why wasn't PG playing?

I just saw highlights of the Raptors unveiling their banner.  It says World Champions.  But I don't recall them defeating any other nations.

image.png.f2f1df74fab6509957b389b05f530a63.png

I've never understood why leagues refer to their champions as World Champions.  I don't dispute that the NBA is the top league in the World, but there is an actual World Championship and NBA teams don't play in it.

• Upvote 2

Credit where credit is due:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/pence-backs-hong-kong-protesters-in-china-speech-slams-nba-and-nike/ar-AAJitQB?li=AAggFp5

U.S. Vice President Mike Pence on Thursday accused China of curtailing "rights and liberties" in Hong Kong and criticized U.S. company Nike and the National Basketball Association for falling in line with Beijing in a disagreement over free speech.

In a major policy speech on China ahead of talks with Beijing aimed at easing a trade war, Pence said the United States does not seek confrontation or to "de-couple" from its main economic rival.

But he took China to task for its handling of pro-democracy protests that have rocked Hong Kong for more than four months.

"Hong Kong is a living example of what can happen when China embraces liberty," he said. "And yet, for the last few years, Beijing has increased its interventions in Hong Kong and engaged in actions that curtail the rights and liberties that Hong Kong's people were guaranteed through a binding international agreement."

He said the United States stands with the protesters in Hong Kong, millions of whom have taken to the streets in sometimes violent clashes over what they see as China's tightening grip.

"We stand with you, we are inspired by you. We urge you to stay on the path of non-violent protest," Pence said in his address at a Washington think tank.

He sharply criticized China for its treatment of Muslim Uighurs in the Xinjiang region. Earlier this month, the United States imposed visa restrictions on Chinese government and Communist Party officials it believes responsible for the detention or abuse of Muslim minorities in Xinjiang.

U.S. authorities this month also included Chinese video surveillance firm Hikvision on a trade blacklist for its alleged role in the Uighur crackdown.

Pence directed some of his harshest words at sports apparel giant Nike and the NBA, which he accused of siding with China's Communist Party over freedom of speech in Hong Kong.

Pence, who is often the face of the Trump's administration's tougher policies on China, said the NBA and Nike had failed to defend basketball team Houston Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey, after he tweeted support of Hong Kong protesters earlier this month.

"Some of the NBA’s biggest players and owners, who routinely exercise their freedom to criticize this country, lose their voices when it comes to the freedom and rights of other peoples," he said.

By "siding with the Chinese Communist Party and silencing free speech, the NBA is acting like a wholly owned subsidiary of the authoritarian regime," Pence said.

Nike stores in China removed Rockets merchandise after Beijing criticized Morey, Pence noted. "Nike promotes itself as a so-called social-justice champion, but when it comes to Hong Kong, it prefers checking its social conscience at the door," he said.

Well said, Mr. Vice President

(Also posted in the Trump thread)