The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion: Canucks better than you thought?

Sedintwinpowersactivate

Honestly - if we had

1.A franchise D

2. A top coach

We would be a cup contender. I feel we have a great team but the coaching is poor.

Also, Miller has been really good, but man do I miss the days of Luongo and Schneider where they would steal like every 4th game for us. They had games where you were like "wow, I cannot believe we won that, our goaltending was epic."

A coach who hasn't missed the playoffs in over 10 years isn't a top coach? I guess you have high exceptations. 

We wouldn't be a Cup contender even with those two things. This team still has flaws that will be releaved during the "dog days" of the season

The home (Phoenix) commentators in yesterday's game said repeatedly how surprised they were at how good the Nux were (mind you a lot of CDC posters would question their judgement as they also said repeatedly that Sbisa was the best player on the ice!!!)

Surprising, yes! I am not sure they can sustain it, but I was wrong last year! So maybe????

The surprises are

Miller has been very solid, I hope he can keep the injury bug away......actually enjoyable to watch

Sbisa........hope it continues, vast improvement over last year

Sutter.......What does he have that Bonino doesn't.........character! Drive!  Overall improvement over Bonino, don't know why, just is

McCann....I was hoping he could continue what he was doing in Junior, but he surprises every game, imagine if he had PP time and minutes!

Hutton.......Nice surprise! Says a lot for the NCAA, he looks seasoned, I can live with his mistakes...they are far and few between

Disappointments

Hank Sedin...........slow.......but still a wizard.......a slow wizard!  Should not be on the ice 3 on 3

Daniel Sedin.........same as above! Can't imagine 3 years from now!.....great athlete's........but slow! 

Dan Hamhuis........steady and steady in decline........still a top 4, still worth trading at the deadline...it will depend on our position

Bo Horvat .............he'll come around, just going through the sophomore jinx......still has a lot of drive.......just looking for more

I still think there are some adjustments around the league, and it seems that there really is a big middle early this year, so I think it is too early to get all smug about it yet.......I think it will depend on injuries, on the long haul, and who can survive them....

But I love watching the young guys speed and potential!

Yep, but I think you can chalk that up more to our rookies blowing away expectations and the Sedin's doing what they do rather than us being a genuinely well rounded team.

Our defense has a long way to go before we can call them competent.

Disagree. From the goalie, defenseman and forwards, this team IS "well rounded". The D have minimized odd man rushes and missed checks, aside from Weber and occasionally Sbisa. Miller is playing great and all four lines are contributing offensively. I really wish we would have gotten rid of Weber but Hutton and Bart have minimized his ice time.

We can play with the big teams we can play with the fast teams and we can play against the skilled teams we have already proven it. You would have to be blind not to see we have minimized deficiencies from last year.

Disagree. From the goalie, defenseman and forwards, this team IS "well rounded". The D have minimized odd man rushes and missed checks, aside from Weber and occasionally Sbisa. Miller is playing great and all four lines are contributing offensively. I really wish we would have gotten rid of Weber but Hutton and Bart have minimized his ice time.

We can play with the big teams we can play with the fast teams and we can play against the skilled teams we have already proven it. You would have to be blind not to see we have minimized deficiencies from last year.

But that's not saying much. 

No.  I thought they'd be as good as last year, with the potential to improve due to:\

1) The upgrade imo on the blueline.  Love Juice, but think his injuries have hampered his mobility - liked the added mobility on the backend and the extra year of development of Sbisa, as well as his greater familiarity with this team and WD's systems.

2) The addition of Sutter - upgrade in speed and versatility.  The additions of Prust and Cracknell have given more depth that is hard to play against to balance against the integration of youth.

3) The growth of Horvat.

4) The youth depth that has arrived.  We've been waiting for the shift of focus for the franchise to the development of the prospect pool, and it has inched closer to arrival.

A team that went to the Calder, and some good recent young draft picks have given this team not only an injection of youth, but greater cap flexibility moving forward.

What I am surprised by:

How effectively Miller has tweaked his game - imo he looks more and more like a goaltender that has been working with Rollie Melanson.  I think his progress has been faster than Luongo's in that respect, and he's been looking more stable imo - better economy of movement, and better maintenance of position after the first shot.

Won't say I 'expected' this success, but I'm not surprised by it and would have been more surprised if they were struggling.  I think the team has a lot of elements that allow them to keep pace and compete with any type of team in the NHL.

Overall, the added speed shows.  The

Archived