The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Connor McDavid Injured

NHL'er

Its getting really annoying that Calgary and Edmonton keep getting high picks and potential generational players, while our team is doing it the hard way, via late picks and drafting well.

If Matthews or Chychrun end up in Calgary or Edmonton I will puke

I'm not sure why everyone cries about this.

The formula of fail is one that is flawed. It actually rarely works. You still need to draft well with the later rounds. You still need to insulate your talent with players that know what it takes to be a pro. I'm not the least bit worried about Edmonton picking 1st overall again.  

That was an awkward fall with McD falling and landing on his butt and sliding backwards, headfirst into the boards...Manning's weight (6'1" 195 lbs) on top of him with the slide..Del Zotto was closing him in and got a piece of him as well......Looks like an unlucky play..only choice would have been to turn away from the double team check and not follow the shot (DelZotto had him lined up to take him out of the play as well).

I think it was a fluke accident and McD got caught in the train tracks following his shot (doesn't Hall have that problem too, sort of reckless and fally?)

Unfortunate for McDavid... but broken collarbones usually heal without issues... and for a young guy like him, usually in 8-12 weeks.

Funny thing, but I have a feeling Edmonton will start to play better without him... the rest of the team has likely been coasting, waiting for him to put on a show, now they will wake up and realize they need to do some work themselves.

That was an incredibly dangerous play..guy could've wound up in a wheelchair.

I know they're top picks, but the Oilers have stubbornly rushed 4 or 5 kids, full-speed into the show. They try peaking too early, get overpaid, injured(in varied order) then are probably condemned to an early career burn-out.

the Avs might be guilty of the same sequence with some of their young, marquee talent.

I like the way Van is bringing along our kids, with more gradual progression(surrounded by more competent vets). By the time all these players are in their prime(mid to late-20's), our later picks(late 1st's, that is) may well progress beyond the ceiling of many of these top-rated, junior stars.

That was an incredibly dangerous play..guy could've wound up in a wheelchair.

I know they're top picks, but the Oilers have stubbornly rushed 4 or 5 kids, full-speed into the show. They try peaking too early, get overpaid, injured(in varied order) then are probably condemned to an early career burn-out.

the Avs might be guilty of the same sequence with some of their young, marquee talent.

I like the way Van is bringing along our kids, with more gradual progression(surrounded by more competent vets). By the time all these players are in their prime(mid to late-20's), our later picks(late 1st's, that is) may well progress beyond the ceiling of many of these top-rated, junior stars.

Your commentary alludes to something which a few of us at least were suggesting in the McDavid vs Eichel thread - just because a kid has the raw talent and developed character to be a star producer in the NHL, doesn't mean that his body should be risked in the big league. I was almost hopeful for the kid that he wouldn't be so quickly thrust into the NHL and instead get another year playing against boys while his own body continued to develop. The notion doesn't go to suggesting that he's got anything left to "prove" at the lower levels or that his own individual development might be hindered playing in the NHL as a teenager. It's just about not risking that under-developed body by putting it up against grown men in their prime every night.

That's not to say that giving him another year to flush out physically would somehow magically negate all risk to injury, but sSimilar to how some accidents are more avoidable than others, some risks are avoidable. And me, I'd choose a kid's best chance of a long and productive career over short term ticket sales and ego rubbing. Besides, Oilers' aren't exactly lacking in youth throughout the lineup - mgmt could have shown some patience, and league-wide leadership where it came to player development and health.

Either way, guess we really won't know if it was a good or bad thing that the kid was plunked into the NHL as a teenager, until say... well, if he ends up "injury prone" and falling apart before his peers, or ends up with a long and top-tier career.

Its getting really annoying that Calgary and Edmonton keep getting high picks and potential generational players, while our team is doing it the hard way, via late picks and drafting well.

If Matthews or Chychrun end up in Calgary or Edmonton I will puke

Does it really matter if we wind up having a better team and players that work well together, and start winning Cups? I just noticed in the stats that McCann and Hutton have more points than Eichel. 

Broken hand in junior last year, now a broken collarbone. Seems like a trend

He's Fragile! This kid is glass, 

Really? Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not but you try sliding heavily into the boards with two players on top of you and unable to protect yourself and see how you feel.

The broken finger was I believe his first major injury where he missed significant time and came after punching the top of the boards and not his opponents face.

Tough break (haha) for the kid, he looked like he was just finding his groove...maybe Stella can help him get it back.

Hey, maybe he should ask P.Kane what steroids he was taking to recover from his broken collarbone, or maybe he's got a bit extra left over? Couldn't hurt to ask, worse he can say is no!

Archived