The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

3 on 3 obviously is not suiting us

canuck_forever

I'm of two minds with Willie and his slow adaptation.  Is he:

1. Formulating a strategy and giving the players some time to learn the strategy and get used to performing it before deciding whether it will work or not.  Is he a very patient and methodical man?  Or is he,
  2. Slow to learn and adapt to new situations and to try new player combinations if what he has tried doesn't seem to be getting results after a game or two.

We are measuring him against AV who was a much younger man when Coach of the Canucks from age 45-51.

Stubbornness has cost us points. Why does he keep going back to the Sedins? This isn't pre-season anymore where they scored against the lowly oilers.

Like the PK, the Sedins are not suited for 3 on 3. They're by far our best offensive players but the coach needs to realize that you have to use certain personnel in certain situations.

I'm surprised Baertschi hasn't been given a shot. Actually, I'm not.

Higgins-Weber-Hamhuis LOL.

Stubbornness has cost us points. Why does he keep going back to the Sedins? This isn't pre-season anymore where they scored against the lowly oilers.

Like the PK, the Sedins are not suited for 3 on 3. They're by far our best offensive players but the coach needs to realize that you have to use certain personnel in certain situations.

I'm surprised Baertschi hasn't been given a shot. Actually, I'm not.

Higgins-Weber-Hamhuis LOL.

i agree,

and yeah, that was literally the most wtf 3 on 3 line combo I've ever seen

sigh.... to be honest... if your a crappy team, lets not talk about 3 on 3, we suck in regulation also!

And yet they've only lost 1 game by more than a goal.

When your PP sucks and your PK falls off the map, that's gonna be the difference in games.

This team is good enough to be competitive. You can't win games when your special teams are failing you.

And yet they've only lost 1 game by more than a goal.

When your PP sucks and your PK falls off the map, that's gonna be the difference in games.

This team is good enough to be competitive. You can't win games when your special teams are failing you.

No disrespect here, DeNiro, but define "competitive"  as in how it relates to wins and losses

Do you honestly think we are more than a average team this year?

I think we are like 17th in point percentage, and not too far off of 21st, especially because the 3 teams directly below us are Tampa Bay, Anaheim, and Winnipeg (in point percentage)

Just asking for your clarification.......not really disagreeing with anyone.........but I usually tdon't ake too much exception to what you say, just wondering where you place this team in skill level......I am suggesting 14 to 22 OA

Peace!

I knew from the start of the year we would not be successful in the new format. I'm not a huge fan of it regardless of my bias. I have no enjoyed watching us give up leads and getting scored on in OT, (although those are separate issues). Is it just a matter of finishing games and not being as quick ass our opponents? These lost points are going to start adding up, the team needs to adress this...

you cant play a line of weber, hamhuis and higgins and not expect to get burned. its all about trying to score. I dont know why at that point in the game you arent throwing out guys with speed. Look what happened when mccan and hanson were out there. if you r trying to defend the tie game to get to a shootout then u r going to lose. theres pretty much is no defence in three on three. Hamhuis has been one of our worst players dating back to last season. he has zero upside when it comes to offensive threat. why is he out there? 

No disrespect here, DeNiro, but define "competitive"  as in how it relates to wins and losses

Do you honestly think we are more than a average team this year?

I think we are like 17th in point percentage, and not too far off of 21st, especially because the 3 teams directly below us are Tampa Bay, Anaheim, and Winnipeg (in point percentage)

Just asking for your clarification.......not really disagreeing with anyone.........but I usually tdon't ake too much exception to what you say, just wondering where you place this team in skill level......I am suggesting 14 to 22 OA

Peace!

Competitive meaning being in the hunt for a playoff spot. Despite finding ways to lose game after game, we're still only 2 points out of the division lead.

A big reason for that is obviously a weak start for our division, but I still think the Canucks could have won every game they've played so far. It's not like they're getting badly outplayed for the most part.

This team is obviously in a slump. I still think they can play much better than they have been.

player deployment by the coach has single handidly killed us 3-3 .We are gonna lose alot more points under this deployment coach.nhl 10-0 van thats almost begging a team to tank you think? mind you exaggeration here we are not 10-0 yet .

Coaching -deployment-effort -accountability = team success all in together .

So what in the heck is wrong with our picture why are we the exception ? 

play the speed skil an young guns inter changed with select vet on 3-3 until we can right the ship a bit it is listing badly to port or starboard {pick a side does not matter]

we are better than we have shown 3-3 but hard to see because deployment has blinded us by stunning defeat in fast fashion.

As many of you alluded to, HAMHUIS HIGGINS AND WEBER! 

Many options with this line, one of which is NOT SCORING:

1. Hammer falls down in a corner or fans on a shot/pass

2. Higgins has a pass hop over his stick, or he misses the net by 4 feet on a great scoring chance

3. Weber takes too much time to pass it up, gets checked and they score. Weber gets outmuscled on the puck. Weber makes a horrible pass in the feet of someone. 

I knew from the start of the year we would not be successful in the new format. I'm not a huge fan of it regardless of my bias. I have no enjoyed watching us give up leads and getting scored on in OT, (although those are separate issues). Is it just a matter of finishing games and not being as quick ass our opponents? These lost points are going to start adding up, the team needs to adress this...

But U liked it when it came to shoot outs & Miller won most of those...Guess what shoot outs are a worse way to lose. 

Like I said before the season started. 3v3 doesn't suite the Sedins as much as 4v4 does. And the rest of our team is either too slow or too young to be effective. That being said, we have been a little unlucky at 3 on 3.

But one thing that has been obvious is that our goaltending hasn't been that great 3 on 3. We are currently at 54.5% for on ice save percentage 3 on 3 (Miller's SV% is 42.86% and Markstrom's  SV% is 75% --but he has only played one game). I'm sure this will regress back to the mean. 

Some 3 on 3 lines ideas (when healthy):

Sedin-Sedin-Hutton

Baertschi-Horvat-Tanev

Hansen-McCann-Edler

Burrows-Sutter-Bartkowski

Vrbata-McCann-Hamhuis

Virtanen-Sutter-Tanev

etc.

I think the key guys for 3 on 3 on our team are Sutter, McCann, Hansen, Bartkowski and Hutton.. and that's simply because these guys can skate effortlessly.

25 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Some 3 on 3 lines ideas (when healthy):

Sedin-Sedin-Hutton

Baertschi-Horvat-Tanev

Hansen-McCann-Edler

Burrows-Sutter-Bartkowski

Vrbata-McCann-Hamhuis

Virtanen-Sutter-Tanev

etc.

I think the key guys for 3 on 3 on our team are Sutter, McCann, Hansen, Bartkowski and Hutton.. and that's simply because these guys can skate effortlessly.

Something along this ^^^. If they're going to put the Sedins out there 3on 3 they need to put them with a D that has wheels. Hell, I'd almost consider keeping them with Hansen and no D-man. He's one of our faster and best defensive players.

Past them, they need to play other guys with wheels, rookies or not. Sutter, McCann, Virtanen, Baer, Bartowski etc...all guys with speed. Pair the more creative guys like Baer with less creative guys like Sutter/Bartowski etc.

Archived