The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Travis Hamonic on the trading block

10 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I hope so. And thanks for the comment a Cpl posts ago.

But I have only heard Benning make cursory mention of improving the defence being a priority. Something to the effect we might "have" to start drafting D after going BPA with Boeser in summer. When we already were a year or two behind in getting D.  A day or so ago I think he was quoted as saying we are looking for a centre? Because Sutter is out. 

His priority should be & needs to shift to long term foundational upgrades on our D IMO. Hamonic would be a great start.

It sounds to me like you are getting some inside information, or you are super smart at figuring this stuff out.  

Do you think JB must publicly state one thing - looking for a replacement for Sutter (the present) while privately focussing on the future (number one D, and number one centre for the future.)?

2 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Hamonic is a huge upgrade on Tanev. Don't kid yourself. 

Hamonic is Tanev + offensive ability. I would imagine he would thrive QBing the Sedins. It's extremely rare to acquire a Dman of his caliber in the prime of his career.  I have no idea what he would be worth cause there is very few trades to compare this to.  

These players just don't come available. That is why snow wants a great Dman in return. 

Hamonic is Tanev plus offensive ability plus size/aggressiveness.  I get that everyone loves Tanev's underlying numbers, but he's a player with limited offerings, whereas Hamonic is far more well rounded player.  Benning isn't in love with advanced analytics, so maybe, just maybe, he pulls the trigger on Tanev.

Tanev or Edler going to NYI for Hamonic...I'd be fine with either.

1 minute ago, HK Phooey said:

Hamonic is Tanev plus offensive ability plus size/aggressiveness.  I get that everyone loves Tanev's underlying numbers, but he's a player with limited offerings, whereas Hamonic is far more well rounded player.  Benning isn't in love with advanced analytics, so maybe, just maybe, he pulls the trigger on Tanev.

I agree, Hamonic is grossly underrated on this board. 

Tanev + Vrbata for Hamonic sounds fair to me.  I think that Snow probably wants more.  He's holding the cards in this poker game.

Tanev can cover the defensive side.  Vrbata makes up for the offense.  Where's the grit?  And the trade also should be cap neutral.

Tanev (4.45) + Vrbata (5.0) + grit = Hamonic (3.8)......but the Isles have 6.8 in free cap space

I can see why the Islanders are holding out.

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

His priority should be & needs to shift to long term foundational upgrades on our D IMO. Hamonic would be a great start.

Yeah, but if we don't have the piece Snow wants back, that makes it kind of difficult. lol

Being the most desperate for Hamonic doesn't mean having the right items available to trade back with.

3 hours ago, HK Phooey said:

I'd prefer moving Edler tbh. We need more rightys and we have an outside chance at landing Chychrun. 

Chychrun - Hamonic

Hutton - Tanev

Tryamkin/Sbisa - Subban

If we can get Hamonic AND Chychrun we'd be set for the next 10 years. 

14 minutes ago, Pears said:

I'd prefer moving Edler tbh. We need more rightys and we have an outside chance at landing Chychrun. 

Chychrun - Hamonic

Sbisa/_____ - Tanev

Tryamkin - Subban

If we could get an upgrade on Sbisa for the top 4 we'd be set for the next 10+ years. 

Hutton?

20 minutes ago, Pears said:

Chychrun - Hamonic

Sbisa/_____ - Tanev

Tryamkin - Subban

If we could get an upgrade on Sbisa for the top 4 we'd be set for the next 10+ years. 

Edler has a NTC, otherwise he'd be in more of the discussion here.

I'll be surprised if we get Hamonic, but I think almost all of the other teams in the mix have a better chance at landing Hamonic than we do.

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Yeah, but if we don't have the piece Snow wants back, that makes it kind of difficult. lol

Being the most desperate for Hamonic doesn't mean having the right items available to trade back with.

Look, Snow wants a top line, established, defender back. Fair enough. But who in Western Canada, Travis's desired location, has a spare one they can casually flip back at Snow?

The best chance IMO is Minny, still close by, who could afford to offer Brodin? But that's pretty much another Tanev. Not any significantly better offer. I don't think anyone is seeded that far ahead of anyone else tbh.

Nor do we have to be over commited on Hamonic. D needs to be our priority, but it does not have to be Hamonic specifically.

In my view, our play should be to be two or three D before the end of summer as the best opportunities present. A prospect, like Edmonton picking up Reinhart, would be my trade priority if I could not land Hamonic. Where we will be drafting one of Juolevi, Sergachyov or Fabbro should be available. The big Russian most likely. This could be the year we finally draft a quality D. AND be hard in on a good, not fill free agent like Bart, such us Byfuglien. Hamonic just changes the equation because he is currently available.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

It sounds to me like you are getting some inside information, or you are super smart at figuring this stuff out.  

Do you think JB must publicly state one thing - looking for a replacement for Sutter (the present) while privately focussing on the future (number one D, and number one centre for the future.)?

Unfortunately there is more inside info here on CDC than down at nearby Torquay beach in Melbourne.

Also unfortunately I think Benning has been a (fairly) straight shooter with his intentions so far. Each of the last two summers when guys like me were calling for said direction; Benning was announcing that he was happy with the group as he had collected it. He mentioned making our D faster and more mobile 6 months ago. Dumping Kev and signing Bart was the signature change. No offense to Bart, he is a good 6th D, which is all we are paying him to be btw. And he's just on a 1 year deal. We need a top line D and several more competing to get there. And long term solutions.

I am all for getting Hamonic, and would have no problem trading an Edler or Tanev to get him.

HOWEVER, people need to stop making him out to be an offensive juggernaut. I know he is just 25, but his highest point total season in his career is all of 33 points.  

28 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

I am all for getting Hamonic, and would have no problem trading an Edler or Tanev to get him.

HOWEVER, people need to stop making him out to be an offensive juggernaut. I know he is just 25, but his highest point total season in his career is all of 33 points.  

And Duncan Keith's highest point total at the age of 25 was 32 points.

3 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Look, Snow wants a top line, established, defender back. Fair enough. But who in Western Canada, Travis's desired location, has a spare one they can casually flip back at Snow?

The best chance IMO is Minny, still close by, who could afford to offer Brodin? But that's pretty much another Tanev. Not any significantly better offer. I don't think anyone is seeded that far ahead of anyone else tbh.

Nor do we have to be over commited on Hamonic. D needs to be our priority, but it does not have to be Hamonic specifically.

In my view, our play should be to be two or three D before the end of summer as the best opportunities present. A prospect, like Edmonton picking up Reinhart, would be my trade priority if I could not land Hamonic. Where we will be drafting one of Juolevi, Sergachyov or Fabbro should be available. The big Russian most likely. This could be the year we finally draft a quality D. AND be hard in on a good, not fill free agent like Bart, such us Byfuglien. Hamonic just changes the equation because he is currently available.

Well, I think it's situation anyway where we have yet to see everything unfold really. I agree that the teams in question don't really have that defenseman to offer, at least not the ideal one Snow's dreaming of. As a result, I don't expect anything to happen until either the trade deadline or the end of the season.

However, a few months can be a long time in these situations. A lot can unfold in that time. Snow could lower his expectations. Hamonic could add more teams to his list. There's just so much.

My argument's more with now. Right now, Tanev's unlikely to be desired by Snow, especially when Snow's turning down Byfuyglien (albeit they are 2 different defenders).

18 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Well, I think it's situation anyway where we have yet to see everything unfold really. I agree that the teams in question don't really have that defenseman to offer, at least not the ideal one Snow's dreaming of. As a result, I don't expect anything to happen until either the trade deadline or the end of the season.

However, a few months can be a long time in these situations. A lot can unfold in that time. Snow could lower his expectations. Hamonic could add more teams to his list. There's just so much.

My argument's more with now. Right now, Tanev's unlikely to be desired by Snow, especially when Snow's turning down Byfuyglien (albeit they are 2 different defenders).

The only reason Snow would be turning down Byfuglien is because he's an unrestricted free agent at years end. Nothing to do with him not thinking he's a high enough caliber dman

1 hour ago, Monty said:

And Duncan Keith's highest point total at the age of 25 was 32 points.

Good point. He actually had a 44 point season in 2008/2009 when he was 25, but I get what you're saying. 

I just don't think Hamonic has the same speed and elusiveness. He is also about 20 pounds heavier and plays a heavy game.

Different player, harder to compare. We will see soon enough. 

Regardless he wants/needs to be closer to home. Vancouver is only 200km closer to Winnipeg than NY is. 

Archived