The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Jarmo Kekäläinen fielding offers for Ryan Johansen

Mathew Barzal

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

One of the most glaring trade wins in recent history was San Jose getting Thornton. But even though what Boston got in return was unimpressive, trading Thornton's salary allowed them to sign Chara. There were also questions over Thornton's character, that as skilled as he was, he was too nonchalant to be a guy you could build around and win with. Boston management thought this would negatively affect the team as well.

San Jose climbed the standings in 2005-06 after the trade, while Boston plummeted. But in the draft that followed, Boston drafted Kessel, Lucic, and Marchand. Then they signed Chara in the offseason. The rest is history. Boston may have lost the trade, but they went on to win something that San Jose hasn't had a sniff of.

I could see a RyJo trade being similar for us. We get a highly skilled player with questions over his character and motivation, not to mention some recent red flags over his health. We'll use up assets to get him, and likely continue to compete for playoff spots rather than drafting higher, and trade veterans for youth. In the end, it will probably just lead to more mediocrity.

We don't need a Johansen as much as we need a Chara. Let's focus on the D.

D is the key! D is the key! D is the key!

I think Nashville would be a good trading partner... They desperately need a #1 c 

Maybe something like 

Johansen 

For Forsberg + 

Or for Seth Jones/Ellis +? The plus would likely have to be more if it's Ellis.  

1 hour ago, theminister said:

The only thing I heard was that his diet in the offseason was atrocious. 

Apparently he hit McDonalds frequently. Very frequently. 

Sounds like he needs to have team nutritionists closer to where he spends off seasons... wait a minute!

Another thing that would help would be to have some of the most professional and well conditioned vets in the league helping guide him...hey lookie, we have twins that fit that criteria!

::D

1 hour ago, theminister said:

The only thing I heard was that his diet in the offseason was atrocious. 

Apparently he hit McDonalds frequently. Very frequently. 

Some people just dont get it..... It's a privledge to play a sport as a job, not a right of way

21 hours ago, Blackberries said:

ok, name 1 team in the league that they are better than the 1st line of ? 
The general idea behind a first line is they generate scoring chances at will or sustain pressure for entire shifts. 

The general idea behind a first line is to produce offense. Which they clearly do, if you looked at their stats.

Name 4 players with more points than Daniel. 

Have to agree with Ferraro that it seems so strange for CBJ to consider trading Johansen (after only 20 games into the season..?)..Would'nt you think that they would exhaust every possibility to keep him..?...Especially after the Rick Nash fiasco.

That being said,I don't see Benning and the Canucks being in the running,primarily because our best players are still inexperienced ..or they are past their prime...which means,we would have to overpay.

On 11/24/2015, 4:17:04, suitup said:

I'd trade Bo Horvat+ 1st round 2016+2nd round+ 2nd round+Hamhuis. 

Whoa baby! Usually the trade proposals on this board are stacked in the Canucks favor. This is one Jarmo would definintely bite on if he had any brains. We'd be giving up far to much though.  And... Johanssen may have discipline problems.

7 minutes ago, jmahyoung said:

Whoa baby! Usually the trade proposals on this board are stacked in the Canucks favor. This is one Jarmo would definintely bite on if he had any brains. We'd be giving up far to much though.  And... Johanssen may have discipline problems.

You're right, I was trying too hard to be realistic. I'm going to go back and edit out the two 2nds and turn that 1st into a 2nd. 

On 11/25/2015, 5:10:02, Blackberries said:

ok, name 1 team in the league that they are better than the 1st line of ? 
The general idea behind a first line is they generate scoring chances at will or sustain pressure for entire shifts. 

There's nights when you have to put out a missing persons report for either of them.
They haven't been dominant for about 3 years now. 
Even last year despite their point totals you could see a decline. Theres no way you can dispute that 

I thought the point of a 1st line was to score goals.

Oh ya, only #4 and 16 (2 points from 8) in NHL scoring. "Not first liners."

Oh and teams in the league, currently: Carolina, Edmonton, Buffalo, Anaheim, Calgary, NJD, NYR, and a lot more if you look at pure points. 

50 minutes ago, jmahyoung said:

I heard he might (or does) have a heart problem.  If he does, couldn't that affect his fitness?  Just spitballing, and looking for points to the contrary.

Archived