The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vrbata: "He kind of plays like Sakic", when asked about Jared McCann

TheRussianRocket.

I just want to point out that, just because someone says someone plays like someone else, it doesn't mean they are saying they are that person. A player's play-style can be similar but at different skill levels. McCann's not Sakic. McCann is McCann,

I really think we shouldn't be placing that burden on him. When Gillis compared Edler with Lindstrom, the expectations were huge for him suddenly. Then people started complaining when they realised Edler wasn't some crazy superstar. Edler hasn't been bad for us, just people ended up with unreasonable expectations of him and thought he was bad as a result.

Let's not do this to McCann mmkay?

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

I just want to point out that, just because someone says someone plays like someone else, it doesn't mean they are saying they are that person. A player's play-style can be similar but at different skill levels. McCann's not Sakic. McCann is McCann,

I really think we shouldn't be placing that burden on him. When Gillis compared Edler with Lindstrom, the expectations were huge for him suddenly. Then people started complaining when they realised Edler wasn't some crazy superstar. Edler hasn't been bad for us, just people ended up with unreasonable expectations of him and thought he was bad as a result.

Let's not do this to McCann mmkay?

I remember those comparisons.  Lindstrom was da bomb for sure.  Whatever heppened to him?

Wait a sec... Who's Lindstrom again?

MCcann's favourite player is Toews, after Toews scored that goal on Miller, McCan tried the exact same shot on Crawford but was denied. The game within the game, McCan has hockey iq and Virtanen looks like a 4th line grinder, future version of a poor man's raffi torres, kid hasn't shown much hockey iq or offensive ability.

On 11/26/2015, 11:01:53, DIBdaQUIB said:

Pretty high praise from a guy who played with Sakic.  I'm sure Vrbata knows what he is talking about regarding the subtleties of how a player plays.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Jared came close to that level of talent/character.

Fun stat: 25+ Goals in every full NHL season he played after his rookie year

plzplzplz.

plz.

plz.

1 hour ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

MCcann's favourite player is Toews, after Toews scored that goal on Miller, McCan tried the exact same shot on Crawford but was denied. The game within the game, McCan has hockey iq and Virtanen looks like a 4th line grinder, future version of a poor man's raffi torres, kid hasn't shown much hockey iq or offensive ability.

You're fishing, aren't you.  This is the Vrby thread, and his comments on McCann.  :P

I remember when Peca was showing small flashes of hockey smarts ,passing and physical play.Its a great sign when a 19 year old can do anything to stand out in a good way.Its a good bet  in six years horvat will be scoring,McCann will be passing and sniping and virtanen will be hammering guys but on a much higher level.

One of the best players in his draft class, honestly he should have gone top-15. We got lucky with McCann. Guys like Marner and Strome will be good but I don't think their defensive play is as up to scratch as McCann's. They'll be putting up monstrous points but when it comes to playoff time you need defence from your centers and wingers. That's how teams win Cups. Boston had fantastic defence from their forwards, Chicago's forwards are practically all Selke nominees, that's how you win in today's NHL - with complete players.

I can see the Sakic comparison in stlye. .. Mcann must be in the top 3 on the team in SOG? .. Right now he just needs a gate crasher to fetch and stuff his rebounds. Im Hopefull he adds on about 10 -12 pounds over the Summer..   Might look even better with Grenier or Virtannen with him next year. 

Thanks Vrbata for screwing fans' perspective on McCann. Now people will compare McCann to Sakic for the rest of his career and, short of being equal to or greater than Sakic, McCann will be considered a player that never reached his potential.

Trade Vrbata. I mean, thanks Vrbata.

3 hours ago, Me_ said:

Thanks Vrbata for screwing fans' perspective on McCann. Now people will compare McCann to Sakic for the rest of his career and, short of being equal to or greater than Sakic, McCann will be considered a player that never reached his potential.

Trade Vrbata. I mean, thanks Vrbata.

Only dumdums will compare him to Sakic for the rest of his career.

Just a friendly reminder for those who don't remember:

Pavol Demitra compares Taylor Pyatt to Keith Tkachuk

Pavol Demitra compares Mason Raymond to Marian Gaborik

It's nice that Vrbata enjoys playing with McCann and this might boost his confidence, but I've also watched a lot of Sakic and McCann, and McCann is great, but he has a long way to go before he's anything like Sakic in terms of dominance, controlling the speed of the game, threat off the half-boards, physical play for his size, etc. Though yes, his playing style and beautiful wrister are reminiscent. Hoping for the best. 

On 11/26/2015, 7:05:24, TheRussianRocket. said:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/kuzma+jared+mccann+that+sakic+sense+around/11546903/story.html

Now I'm not saying we have the next Joe Sakic......BUT WE HAVE THE NEXT JOE SAKIC ZOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! :frantic::frantic::frantic: 

Yes. Not to say that we have the next Joe Sakic on our hands. It's just that Radim Vrbata confirmed we have the next Joe Sakic on our hands.

Rock on!!!!!!

Archived